KUMHO TIRES??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the ASX. Good tires for the money. (No rotating here though. staggered set.)

Last edited:
My wife just got a set of the Solus KR21s for her SUV. I was going to get General Grabber HTSs, but she got a good deal. Now if the Kumhos only last longer than the Goodyear Forteras or Continental CrossContacts (both good tires, but wore out fast).

Originally Posted By: Trajan
I use the ASX. Good tires for the money. (No rotating here though. staggered set.)

Can't you still do left right rotate?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Trajan

Can't you still do left right rotate?

Should be able to with the ASX, since they are assymmetric (not directional).

I had SPT's on my old car. Great tire, decent wear. Of course rotated every 5000 miles.

Put on a pair of AST's on my current car (to replace the mostly worn & a flat, Falken Ziex Ze912), since they are cheap. iirc, they are made in China.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Kuhmo's are good tires but I won't buy them because the are ChiCom. I'd rather keep my fellow Americans employed, that's just my own personal philosophy, I'm not looking for any arguments.

Btw, I buy all my tires online at Tirerack.com.

Kumho is not Communist Chinese. Kumho is a South Korean company, and the South Koreans are about as anti-communist as they come.

Where the heck do people get this kind of info? My bet is from a dealer for a domestic brand that is selling tires that were actually made in the People's Republic of China...

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Kuhmo's are good tires but I won't buy them because the are ChiCom. I'd rather keep my fellow Americans employed, that's just my own personal philosophy, I'm not looking for any arguments.

Btw, I buy all my tires online at Tirerack.com.

Kumho is not Communist Chinese. Kumho is a South Korean company, and the South Koreans are about as anti-communist as they come.

Where the heck do people get this kind of info? My bet is from a dealer for a domestic brand that is selling tires that were actually made in the People's Republic of China...

Well - Kumho may be South Korean, but they're also very much capitalists. In order to cut costs, they've built plants in mainland China as well as one in Vietnam.

http://www.kumhotire.com/company/info/info_position01.jsp

Quote:
Company name KUMHO TIRES Co., Inc.

Capital 350 Billion Won

Employee status Total of 5,602 employees
(End of 2008, excluding foreign subsidiary)

Organization status Organization status: 73 teams 9 departments 39 sections
- Domestic sales : 31 locations in 5 regions
- Foreign sales: 8 subsidiaries, 12 branches, 4 offices

HQ and Gwangju plant 555, Sochon-dong, Gwangsan-gu, Gwangju, Korea
(TEL : 062-940-2114)

Seoul office Kumho Asiana Main Tower, #115,1-GA, Shinmunro, Jongro-gu, Seoul
(TEL : 02-6303-8114)

Gooksung plant 145, Suhbong-ri, Yib-Myun, Gokseong-gun, Ghollanam-do, Korea
(TEL : 061-360-3114)

Pyungtaek plant 679-15, Naeki-ri, Poseung-Myun, Pyungtaek, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
(TEL : 031-680-5700)

Namkyung plant 418 Heyan Road, Nanjing, China
(TEL : 86-25-8531-9999)

Tianjin plant No. 333 Zhongnan, 2ST. Teda, Tianjin, China
(TEL : 86-22-5982-5555)

Changchun plant Slicon Valley ST. Changchun, 130012, China
(TEL : 86-431-705-0755)

Vietnam plant Binh Duong Province, Vietnam
(TEL : 84-650-576931)

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: rs_hunter

Well - Kumho may be South Korean, but they're also very much capitalists. In order to cut costs, they've built plants in mainland China as well as one in Vietnam.

Quote:

Capital 350 Billion Won

Yeah, and so have those fine people at Goodyear and Cooper. It still doesn't change the fact that Kumho isn't a Communist Chinese company.

Most of the people who are looking for a value priced tire from an American brand are not buying an American made tire. If it isn't a high-margin tire, they're not going to produce them in the USA due to the costs involved. At least 10% of the tires being sold in this country are coming from the PRC. The fact that it has an American brand embossed on its sidewall means squat.

The fact is that you're about as likely (if not more so) to get an American produced tire from a foreign brand, than from a domestic brand. This "it's American" garbage reminds me of the old Camaro ads that posited "What else would you expect from the birthplace of rock-and-roll?". The funny thing is, I don't remember rock-and-roll's birthplace as being Canada. No offense to the Canucks, I spent part of my childhood growing up in Newfoundland, BTW.

The next thing we'll hear is another fairy tale about Harley-Davidson being "All-American". You can buy a big-four motorcycle that has at least as much American content as an H-D. In fact, Harley-Davidson is so proud to be American that they lobbied that the required US/Canadian content be lowered, in order to allow them to increase their use of parts made elsewhere.

Marketing bull, and the easily hoodwinked populous, is going to drive this country into the ground. The "American brand" crowd are going to be the ones steering...

[/tirade]

Cheers

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I put a set of Kumho SPT 225-45-18 on my Mazda and 8000 miles later, they're on their last rotation.

I'll be going with a slightly harder compound when I replace them.

Otherwise, they've performed flawlessly, wet and dry.

I had the same problem, I put on 4 new tires, for the 02 Hyundai Elantra W/ Factory GT rims, and they only lasted around 12K miles, before down to the 2/32...

Yeah, and so have those fine people at Goodyear and Cooper. It still doesn't change the fact that Kumho isn't a Communist Chinese company.

I was trying to get out the the point that some are in fact made in China. I know the post in question didn't state whether or not an opinion was formed if Kumho was a Chinese company or if they merely had a manufacturing presence.

Quote:
Most of the people who are looking for a value priced tire from an American brand are not buying an American made tire. If it isn't a high-margin tire, they're not going to produce them in the USA due to the costs involved. At least 10% of the tires being sold in this country are coming from the PRC. The fact that it has an American brand embossed on its sidewall means squat.

Or a Japanese brand. The Sumitomos on my wife's car are stamped Made in China. I remember maybe 10 years ago, the low-margin tires were typically made in the US, while more expensive ones were made in Japan or Europe.

Quote:
The fact is that you're about as likely (if not more so) to get an American produced tire from a foreign brand, than from a domestic brand. This "it's American" garbage reminds me of the old Camaro ads that posited "What else would you expect from the birthplace of rock-and-roll?". The funny thing is, I don't remember rock-and-roll's birthplace as being Canada. No offense to the Canucks, I spent part of my childhood growing up in Newfoundland, BTW.

My father's Buick Regal was assembled in Quebec. As for the Camaro ads, I remember "Yes - this is rocket science." I would note that rocket science means putting in a big, clumsy powerplant in a vehicle that's just on the edge of failure.

Quote:
The next thing we'll hear is another fairy tale about Harley-Davidson being "All-American". You can buy a big-four motorcycle that has at least as much American content as an H-D. In fact, Harley-Davidson is so proud to be American that they lobbied that the required US/Canadian content be lowered, in order to allow them to increase their use of parts made elsewhere.

I remember AMF almost killed Harley-Davidson.

Originally Posted By: rs_hunter

Quote:

Capital 350 Billion Won

Marketing bull, and the easily hoodwinked populous, is going to drive this country into the ground. The "American brand" crowd are going to be the ones steering...

[/tirade]

Cheers

What would you rather have; a Harley where most of its parts are now made in China, or a Honda where its parts are made either in Japan or the U.S.A? I'll take a Honda please.

I was trying to get out the the point that some are in fact made in China. I know the post in question didn't state whether or not an opinion was formed if Kumho was a Chinese company or if they merely had a manufacturing presence.

Quote:

Or a Japanese brand. The Sumitomos on my wife's car are stamped Made in China. I remember maybe 10 years ago, the low-margin tires were typically made in the US, while more expensive ones were made in Japan or Europe.

Quote:

My father's Buick Regal was assembled in Quebec. As for the Camaro ads, I remember "Yes - this is rocket science." I would note that rocket science means putting in a big, clumsy powerplant in a vehicle that's just on the edge of failure.

Quote:

I remember AMF almost killed Harley-Davidson.

What gets me is that Cooper has basically exported their entire commercial tire business to the PRC. It's not like medium-duty truck tires are cheap. The likes of Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone manage to do fine without sourcing their product from the PRC. Cooper? I guess they're just another brilliant example of an American brand.

Interesting that you'd mention a Japanese brand, as I just put a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 on the 2000 Golf. They were a great deal at $59 a piece and I'm impressed with them so far. I'd rate them as a definite improvement over the Michelins that they replaced. I was rather pleased to find that they had been made in Japan.

"I would note that rocket science means putting in a big, clumsy powerplant in a vehicle that's just on the edge of failure." LOL... Have I ever pointed out that part of my field of study was aerospace engineering? That said, I think you've pretty much summed up the Camaro. I take it that you've seen the news about the new model having a problem? I think it's an omen when my spell-check suggests that I replace "Camaro" with "Camry".

Yikes! AMF, now isn't that a glorious example of great American management...

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi
What would you rather have; a Harley where most of its parts are now made in China, or a Honda where its parts are made either in Japan or the U.S.A? I'll take a Honda please.

It says a lot when the US/Canadian parts content is higher on a foreign brand, than it is on an American one. So much for the "We can't do it and still make a profit" argument.

I had a set of 795 tires on my wifes CRV - they were rated for 80k (or close to it) and they lasted every bit of it.. The second set didnt last that long, but she was driving more locally than highway by then.

I have a set of E rated on my 3/4 ton Dodge they seem to be holding up pretty well. They were $60 cheaper than the other tires I looked at

b

Ask yourself this: do you want a Goodyear Integrity or a Bridgestone Potenza RE92 which have no traction what so ever, but made in US, or a good traction tire that is made in Europe (Continental, Yokohama, Pirelli, Michellin, etc)?

I think it should be the traction and quality that should determine what you should buy, not the manufacturing origin.

Originally Posted By: SL2
Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I put a set of Kumho SPT 225-45-18 on my Mazda and 8000 miles later, they're on their last rotation.

I'll be going with a slightly harder compound when I replace them.

Otherwise, they've performed flawlessly, wet and dry.

I had the same problem, I put on 4 new tires, for the 02 Hyundai Elantra W/ Factory GT rims, and they only lasted around 12K miles, before down to the 2/32...

THE SPTs are performance tires. I think I put 8,000 hard miles on my 285/40/17 rears with plently of burnouts and they're at half tread. If you're wearing them out in 12k you're driving hard or there's other issues. The fronts (255/45/17s) were like brand new after the same miles.

Well now. You can go to Tire Rack's website and look up where the tires are made. And yes, I do know that Kumho is a S Korean company. But I still buy US made tires, even if I have to pay a little more. This week I plan to buy the British named AVON tires for my SUV. Avon Tyre Company was bought by Cooper recently. The tire I am buying is made in the US and has the AVON name on it. These tires (tyres :) ) will cost me about $9 more each than a set of Kumho's.

I had (I think) KH16s on a Civic that I liked a lot.

I have Solus KR21s on a Buick now... they started out good but now (25,000 miles in) they are kinda noisy and seem to be very poor in wet. I have snow tires that I put on in the winter.

They seem to be lasting a lot better than I thought initially though (they are an 85,000 mile warranteed or whatever tire).

I'm satisfied with them for the money I spent. If they were $20 more per tire I would not be happy at all.

I've had 3 sets-the Power Star 758s on the Mercedes have almost 40K on them, no problems, 1 is getting kind of worn (but nowhere near the indicators yet), my xB has a set of Solus KH21s w/ around 20K & OK so far-BUT, the LT245/75R16 load range E Road Venture A/Ts I had on my van for a while were the bumpiest, noisiest, hardest to balance tires I've EVER had, & they weren't much cheaper than the Dayton Timberline Commercial A/Ts (same size & weight rating) I'm running now. IMHO, stick to the passenger ones.

Last edited:
Supposedly Kumho opened a plant in the US in 2008 - as they won a contract to supply Ford with tires for the Focus. Kumho tires appear to be well-made.

As far as Goodyear being "low-traction", I disagree: the OEM Goodyears on my LH gripped far better than the "top rated by a leading consumer magazine" Falken 512's. in fact, I just had to replace the Falkens at 30k miles due to imbalance and dry rot (3 years old!!!)

I also dont understand why the "big 3" have to move production to mex/china when the Asian companies can make darn good cars right here.

for instance, I like the Ford Fusion, but its not made here! neither was my Sebring convertable, or my Dodge Intrepid, or my Dodge van. what!?!?!??!

Quote:
I also dont understand why the "big 3" have to move production to mex/china when the Asian companies can make darn good cars right here.

for instance, I like the Ford Fusion, but its not made here! neither was my Sebring convertable, or my Dodge Intrepid, or my Dodge van. what!?!?!??!

Part of it is labor cost. Labor in mexico is (was) cheaper in part because UAW wages WERE much higher than non-union Asian makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back