Kumho Tires

Bought a set of Kumho tires to replace the OE Michelins on the wife's Ford Edge. The Michelins have barely 35K and aren't going to pass the NC safety check. For being a top tier tire they were wildly mediocre. I've has several sets of Kumho and they are better than average and not too expensive. I bought four of these.

Anybody have experience with Kumhos?

2UgMbH4U_h4Jjxs9BeFiPBO0cyoivVVqs5rpsE-NaCt4O3gwmWqKv8H4K0QC3_eK7vlPOe2xv3KSnJpiuT7Mjcwj3QoQEEKVI11vX2vmPmntRJhOnWVWT3KZcJ4jMF6NujB2XH3R9wU=s0-d-e1-ft
Kumho​
Crugen HP71​
245 /60 R18 105V SL BSW​

I have those same tires on a Chrysler minivan

They have performed well, but seem to have worn out pretty quickly.

I looked at the tread the other day and they are already looking pretty worn at 15,000 miles. Minivans are heavy vehicles and wear through passenger car tires more quickly than other vehicles, but still... A bit disappointing.

Kumhos on a 2021 Dodge Challenger AWD,
Grand Touring, as I use for mostly highway or urban area.
Much better than OEM Firestone,
Kumhos are rated at 560AA A
Got them for 158$ vs 250$ for comparable in Ultra High Performance.
Tire has never needed air in 8 months, ride and grip great !!
IMG_1911.jpeg

I had a set of Korean made Kumho Solus KH16 tires on a Chrysler minivan. They were very good tires. My purchase was influenced by a favorable Consumer Reports rating, their price and availability through a local tire vender and wholesaler (Hibdon Tires), and a good review of Korean tires in general by a trusted automotive friend. I would buy them again, but not from Hibdon as they appear to be within the Bridgestone organization now. I've had crap tires from Southeast Asia, my bias is against tires from Thailand or Indonesia. But not Korean, Taiwanese, or Japanese products. My last tire purchase were Goodyears made in the USA (price could not be beat), my next purchase (got an $80 rebate now from Tire Rack, and Discount Tire is part of that org so install is easy) looks to be Vredestein Quatrac for a classic Miata (a great commuter car). They show a 3 peak mountain and snowflake symbol, for the winter driving most of us will endure, so it looks like the Koreans got trumped by the Dutch. I sure hope they live up to their potential.

Most of the time I ended up with them on the larger sizes that would have been more expensive. Kumhos typically don't charge ridiculous amount for something in the 225-255 40 18 profile for me. They win my business usually in that size, drove fine, nothing wrong with them.

Kumho tires have always had less than stellar grip for me. I used 2 sets of their Ecsta 4X tires because that was what I could afford at the time, and although they worked alright, they didn't have anywhere near the wet or dry handling of slightly more expensive UHP all seasons. I went to Michellin PS A/S and now Continental DWS06 tires and haven't looked back. The savings I get from the better tread wear more than makes up for the higher up front cost.

Back