Krown rust proofing service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by lukejo
In the northern areas where rust is a huge problem, more so than us a little south of that, how often do most believers get Krown applied? Once per year while it is warm? More/less than that?

Anytime is better than nothing but Summer time is best as the heat helps it creep/move more into the seams. I also believe driving down a dusty/sandy road after it has been applied does wonders in helping it stick/create a coating.
When my bud's and I use to do our own with Rust Check, that is what we did. The layer on the frames, brake lines, undercarriage, etc, was almost impenetrable after we were done.
It will make a mess on the outside with all the dust but that will wash off after a couple of days. The Krown place I go to now does an excellent job of washing the paint/exterior after it has been sprayed so the amount that sticks to the paint would be minimal.

I also use spray cans to hit some highwash areas occasionally and to give the notorious rust areas an extra blast once in a while as well.

Because I have some experience, I'd likely do my truck semi annually at a shop if I lived as far away as you and just purchase 4-6 cans of the spray to use in the off year.
Once you you look at other trucks like your's that haven't been rust proofed and you can see those higher rust areas for yourself then you'll know where to concentrate with your spray cans.

I also, on the warmer winter days, will spray with a garden hose on the shower setting up under the fender wells, bumpers, and other areas just to wash all the sand and salt off when I can. Imo, this helps greatly as well and most manuals will also tell you the same thing.
The spray cans with the hose/wand actually do a pretty good job, imo, especially if you've had your vehicle sprayed at a shop prior.

Edit: Forgot to add that usually in the summertime, places like Krown usually have deals on. I got my vehicles done in August and I received $10 bucks off plus a free can of Krown spray. I receive those coupons/notices in the mail.

Great—thanks. I'm going to make an appointment and make the drive. There's just no way I can be as thorough as them with my setup. I've not had a pickup yet, Ford and Chevy, that hasn't rusted at the usual spots. This will be well worth it for my many years of ownership of the 2500HD.

An older post but I thought I'd rekindle it.
grin2.gif

Decided to go with/try Rust Check again this year.

All 3 vehicles were sprayed last year with Krown but after recently being under my son's Malibu and seeing very little product remaining, imo, I decided I am going back with Rust Check.

I also noticed on my Ram some weather strip swelling which Krown is known for on some vehicles. I see no evidence of that on my son's Malibu or my wife's Impala, however.

Currently Krown has a $25 dollar off per vehicle offer but after doing some sweet talking with the Rust Check guy, I was able to swing a cash deal.

My son's car is currently, right now, being sprayed so I'll report on the job the guy did but the real test will be with how long it lasts compared to Krown.

My wife's car is going in tomorrow or Monday and I am seriously having second thoughts on skipping a year with my Ram? It was Rust Checked since new and only last year did I use Krown.
With retirement coming up and the fact not many miles have been driven with it since last August, I think I will be good. I'll likely crawl under it before the snow flies with a can or 2 just to freshen up some areas but I honestly think getting a full/complete spray down this year might be a waste of money?

My son's car was done yesterday and I must say, I think the Rust Check guy did a better job than what Krown did with my son's car last year. It is definitely dripping more and everywhere looks to be covered extremely well.

Depending on the type of winter we get this year/next, will be the real test, however, but my gut tells me this application of Rust Check is going to last better than last years application of Krown.

Krown is going through the same process as pretty much any franchise. They started of really well and were pretty much drenching the car in their product. But to maximize profits, they started using less and less and I believe their T40 formula has gotten a bit thinner over the years as well.

It is still location specific though and there are Krown places that will apply the product generously.

Rust check used to be very popular too, then sort of went away and I guess now they are trying to make a comeback and compete with Krown, so I'm not surprised if their application process and the amount they use is a bit better.

I had the Ram in my sig Krowned about 10 months ago. I do see some evidence of it bleeding out of internal cavities in the doors and gate, but it's very sparse and not readily noticeable. I cant see/feel any of it on exposed surfaces under the truck. I'm on the fence as to if I want to go back to my local Krown shop, try a Corrosion Free shop a little bit further away or to Krown or woolwax the beast myself. Not really feeling the DIY, but I may get ambitious for that at some point.

Originally Posted by JTK
I had the Ram in my sig Krowned about 10 months ago. I do see some evidence of it bleeding out of internal cavities in the doors and gate, but it's very sparse and not readily noticeable. I cant see/feel any of it on exposed surfaces under the truck. I'm on the fence as to if I want to go back to my local Krown shop, try a Corrosion Free shop a little bit further away or to Krown or woolwax the beast myself. Not really feeling the DIY, but I may get ambitious for that at some point.

If the application process by the Corrosion Free place is good, then I would definitively go to them. Corrosion Free is thicker and therefore will stay on the underside for longer.

I used Corrosion free in the cans, they call it Rust Cure, all the time, but the only local applicators were from Canadian Tire franchise and they did a terrible job applying the product, so I never went with it.

Originally Posted by JTK

I checked the price of a Corrosion Free shop in Ann Arbor and they quoted a price above $300. Maybe that was for the full service package with happy ending?

Krown claims that in spite of the exposed areas looking washed off, there is still a micro thin layer there providing protection.
21.gif
It does seem to build up a bit of oily grime layer after a few years of applications. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by irv
My son's car was done yesterday and I must say, I think the Rust Check guy did a better job than what Krown did with my son's car last year. It is definitely dripping more and everywhere looks to be covered extremely well.

Depending on the type of winter we get this year/next, will be the real test, however, but my gut tells me this application of Rust Check is going to last better than last years application of Krown.

A lot depends on the tech who does your vehicle. If they skimp with the product, you get short changed. I have returned vehicles to have the bottom sprayed properly.
I try to prevent the second trip by telling the boss to Soak It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back