Krown rust proofing service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the Midwest where nice Silverado's like mine eventually rust. I plan to keep my truck 15 years or more. It is driven in the winter, parked outside, and doesn't get much if any cleaning in the coldest months. The last two years I've done my best with small aerosol cans of Fluid Film, but not nearly as well as the promotional videos for the Krown service show. The closest treatment center to here is about 2 hours away in St Louis. Looks like my truck would be $150.
I don't know anyone around here that's had it done. For $150/year, I'd be thrilled if it kept all rust away for life of the truck...especially from the inside where I'm unable to get that well(doors, cab corners, wheel well lip).
So, for those of you that have done it, what say you? Anyone used St Louis shop?

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would look for a Carwell or Corrosion Free place near you. Carwell is pretty much the same as Krown and Corrosion Free is actually a lot thicker and drip free, but it still creeps and flows very well.

Thanks, but I don't see either with services anywhere near here. We are probably about the southern most line where a rust proofing service could be profitable...probably why the pickens are slim. Is Krown no good?

Nothing wrong with Krown, provided it is applied generously, but it's not the only one, just giving out some other options that might be closer to you. Rust Check is another decent one.

In Canada, Krown is practically everywhere, that is why it is recommend the most.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Drive out and spray it every 2 years. Tell them to SOAK it you drove out 2 hours.

Is it brand new?

Agreed, I'd just make a trip. You can get Krown and others in spray cans, but they may have more solvent. You'll want to,check, as the products are generally fine on rubber, but solvent may not be...

There is no solvent in the can or the product they use in the shop, also the spray is not door seal friendly which is why they use a separate silicone based spray for this. It's fine for the steering components and mounts because it's thick rubber but the door seals which are thinner may swell a bit if you get the oil on it. That said I really went to town on my Santa Fe before I knew this with the Aerosol cans after my application and hit everything with it and had no problems.

Last edited:
Once a vehicle is covered with krown can you still use the automatic car washes / power washer to wash the car or will that remove the protection? How do you guys wash your cars that have been treated with krown?

Originally Posted by diyjake
Once a vehicle is covered with krown can you still use the automatic car washes / power washer to wash the car or will that remove the protection? How do you guys wash your cars that have been treated with krown?

Wait about 2 weeks. I usually wait about 4.

I lay off the bottom blasters till spring to get the salt off.

Last edited:
In the northern areas where rust is a huge problem, more so than us a little south of that, how often do most believers get Krown applied? Once per year while it is warm? More/less than that?

Originally Posted by cjcride
Originally Posted by diyjake

Wait about 2 weeks. I usually wait about 4.

I lay off the bottom blasters till spring to get the salt off.

Yes but you want to wait for the coating on the undercarriage to dry I would say about a month to be safe. I regularly wash the car in the winter time with the under carriage spray all winter long about twice a week with the miles I drive and it's no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lukejo
In the northern areas where rust is a huge problem, more so than us a little south of that, how often do most believers get Krown applied? Once per year while it is warm? More/less than that?

Once a year is fine and they guarantee it. As I'm heavy on the miles and I'm paranoid about rust I have the just the under carriage sprayed twice a year. Once with the whole vehicle application yearly and then just the undercarriage by itself the 2nd time but they tell me it's not necessary.

With my Santa Fe I only had it done once a year and it was rust free when the engine died.

Last edited:

I use Fluid Film but like to spray early in the fall when we still have heat--that way it'll thin out a bit and flow around a bit.

I have done some touchups in winter time as FF washes too fast for me--but I do travel more than most. Really no need in the spring I think, not once they stop salting.

I have been using the bulk fluid film with an airless paint sprayer on my truck and it works pretty well. Goes through product rather fast, though. Also no wands to get into crevasses so I have to use a few rattle cans to get inside doors and rockers.

Anytime is better than nothing but Summer time is best as the heat helps it creep/move more into the seams. I also believe driving down a dusty/sandy road after it has been applied does wonders in helping it stick/create a coating.
When my bud's and I use to do our own with Rust Check, that is what we did. The layer on the frames, brake lines, undercarriage, etc, was almost impenetrable after we were done.
It will make a mess on the outside with all the dust but that will wash off after a couple of days. The Krown place I go to now does an excellent job of washing the paint/exterior after it has been sprayed so the amount that sticks to the paint would be minimal.

I also use spray cans to hit some highwash areas occasionally and to give the notorious rust areas an extra blast once in a while as well.

Because I have some experience, I'd likely do my truck semi annually at a shop if I lived as far away as you and just purchase 4-6 cans of the spray to use in the off year.
Once you you look at other trucks like your's that haven't been rust proofed and you can see those higher rust areas for yourself then you'll know where to concentrate with your spray cans.

I also, on the warmer winter days, will spray with a garden hose on the shower setting up under the fender wells, bumpers, and other areas just to wash all the sand and salt off when I can. Imo, this helps greatly as well and most manuals will also tell you the same thing.
The spray cans with the hose/wand actually do a pretty good job, imo, especially if you've had your vehicle sprayed at a shop prior.

Edit: Forgot to add that usually in the summertime, places like Krown usually have deals on. I got my vehicles done in August and I received $10 bucks off plus a free can of Krown spray. I receive those coupons/notices in the mail.

Last edited:

We do every 2 or even 3 years. If you have a good shop that doesn't skimp with the product it could suffice.
I had 1 shop skimp which I discovered when I was under the car for maintenance a few days later.
Went back with the bill in hand and had them cover it properly. He said he didn't want to stain her or my clothing with over-spray. Yeah Right was my thought. Switched shops.

I prefer to spray about 2 months before the first snow flies.

Last edited:
Good point about the dust Irv. It has been my experience as well that a layer of dust stuck to the oil coating helps tremendously in its ability to resist washing off. It's an old timers trick.
wink.gif

Good point about the dust Irv. It has been my experience as well that a layer of dust stuck to the oil coating helps tremendously in its ability to resist washing off. It's an old timers trick.
wink.gif

The Rust Check place I use to frequent was against this practice but I think they knew it worked and therefore thought I might be less likely to return annually?

My 97 Sierra, which was the last truck I owned that I did it myself, I swear will never rust. The coating on the frame and those other mentioned places was quite thick (mm's, obviously) but it never washed off year after year.
When I would re-apply the spray, the areas would just suck up the Rust Check enhancing it. Very little to none was needed however.

Last edited:
wink.gif

Agreed! Forgot to mention that.

Originally Posted by irv
wink.gif

The Rust Check place I use to frequent was against this practice but I think they knew it worked and therefore thought I might be less likely to return annually?

My 97 Sierra, which was the last truck I owned that I did it myself, I swear will never rust. The coating on the frame and those other mentioned places was quite thick (mm's, obviously) but it never washed off year after year.
When I would re-apply the spray, the areas would just suck up the Rust Check enhancing it. Very little to none was needed however.

Krown is against it too. That's their business model to keep you coming back every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back