Kreen on a relatively clean engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be the one to keep this thread off topic for too long. Oil capacity in a 1.8T is less than ideal considering the heat that is generated by the turbo. As a result sludge can become a problem, yet not all 1.8T's do develop sludge. If you're sure your's wont then no need to deviate from what VW specifies.

Unfortunate updates:
When I fired up the car after waiting a full day to let RTV on the valve cover to cure, I immediately noticed cam chain making a constant ticking noise, as if it's not getting enough oil. It's not super loud per say, but enough to annoy me. I drove the car hard anyway to inspect for leaks and I didn't find any. I also noticed a slight tapping noise coming from the same region. It's impossible to have screwed up the cam chain because it doesn't come into play during the gasket replacement, HOWEVER, I can only imagine I applied too much sealant in that region (to account for the grooves and bends) and some of it might have broken up and clogged up the system somewhere. I don't know for sure what happened but this noise/tick is new to me. The noise appeared almost immediately after I fired her up.

What could have possibly went wrong? Should I consider Seafoaming the engine for 50-100 miles?

Seafoam (nor anything else) is going to break down RTV. You will need to remove the valve cover again if you want to track down the cause of your noise.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Seafoam (nor anything else) is going to break down RTV. You will need to remove the valve cover again if you want to track down the cause of your noise.

That means it should also break down any RTV that might have slipped inside the engine? I do plan on changing the oil after 50 miles or so. If the CCT is bad I'll be taking off the cover again no doubt, but will a quick run of Seafoam hurt anything?

I've not used Seafoam in the oil, only the fuel. Doubtful that a short run of Seafoam in the oil will cause any long term harm.

Originally Posted By: newhandle

That means it should also break down any RTV that might have slipped inside the engine? I do plan on changing the oil after 50 miles or so. If the CCT is bad I'll be taking off the cover again no doubt, but will a quick run of Seafoam hurt anything?

Re-read his post. He said it is NOT going to break down the RTV. You need to pull the cover again.

I bit the bullet and dumped half a can of SF in the oil. I've grown foxes ears for the next 100 miles.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Re-read his post. He said it is NOT going to break down the RTV. You need to pull the cover again.

Yes, my engrish failed me there.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Yes, my engrish failed me there.

No problem
wink.gif

The engine is clean, I wouldn't run anything through it IMHO.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You can not buy Kreen, they do not ship Kreen to California address.

That's a lie. I just got two quarts of Kreen and some of their penetrating fluid sent to me here in Redwood City. Ran Kreen through my Volvo and currently running about a pint in my 90 Civic

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Kano Lab's Terms Of Sale Agreement:
"In California, this product cannot be sold to an individual consumer."

As opposed to a collection of consumers? haha. Are they trying to imply that the product can only be sold to businesses. I legally own a business license so I guess they wouldn't have a problem sending a few bottles over?

I tried to order a quart last year to use in the LS400, they didn't fill my order for reason that the shipping address was CA. You may try to see if you'll be able to buy it with a business license/address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back