Kreen experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I will keep this post brief and on point (i hope).

Engine: 2004 Cavalier Coupe 2.2 Ecotec with 160k. Current hwy mpg 41. 5 speed stick. KNN filter.

Bought this car from a woman I know who could not drive anymore, about 8 months ago. Due to massive medical bills and a chapter 7 I needed something cheap and she had put quite a bit of $$ into it but had let things slip for a year or 2.

I knew there was sludge built up in the engine due to the smoke coming up from the oil fill hole. Car was using about a quart every 1500 miles. I started using 10/30 not 5/30. Still, mileage was great.

One thing led to another and I bought a quart of Kreen.

Initial app was a pint after I changed the oil. During the first 4-500 miles I checked the oil several times and it got dirty quite quickly. At 500 I changed the OF cartridge. the old one was heavy and caked with crud unlike previous changes. Added another 8 oz to the oil and the remaining Kreen to the gas only filling to a little under half. At 1k miles I changed the filter again and it was heavy and caked with crud. changed again 1500 and the filter was "normal". no crud and half the weight. did add 1/2 quart of oil and checked each few hundred miles and changed at 3k.

During the time from application to drain here is what i noticed as time went on:
Smoother running and no clatter at cold start.
Temp dropped from just above 195 degree line to just below, even when idling.
Smoke from oil fill hole was gone and so was burning smell.
Only oil added during "cleaning" was the half quart at 1500 miles.
Engine is quieter overall and seems to have a bit more power. Wife noticed as well and she had little info on what I was doing.

After cleaning and fresh oil:
After 4k of driving oil consumption dropped from 2 quarts to less than half of a quart.
Mileage has increased from about 38 to about 41. I checked this several times on a few long trips of 300 miles.

Would I use this product again and recommend it? yes.

I would tell anyone to change the filter a few times as I did, if possible. For this engine the cartridge is top mounted and easy to access.

I know that some out there would never use anything in their motors. I am not one of you but I respect your decision. I do believe that there is a ton of snake oil out there on the shelves of parts stores.

I'm a believer, I have no use for it in my engines currently as they were purchased new and not neglected.

I might try a small dose in the gunked up lawn tractor or similar.

Sounds like it worked for you!

One suggestion, if you are using one of the K&N air filters that you oil up I would replace that with a regular air filter. Those K&N air filters increase air flowing into the engine, however that increased air flow comes with increased dirt intrusion because they don't do as good a job filtering. It has been mentioned here several times over the years, and UOA reports back it up.

Bravo on trying Kreen.

We have had several outstanding results with it here in varied platforms.

It is an amazing cleaner indeed...

Perfect example of using the right product for the job it was intended for.
Should everyone go out and start loading their engine with Kreen or any other additive? God no, but under certain circumstances like this one it is a very good product that does what it claims.

Kano labs has a stellar reputation, i use a lot of their product and every one of them exceeds expectations.
BTW they do honor their "money back" guarantee if some reason the customer is not satisfied.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Perfect example of using the right product for the job it was intended for.

BTW they do honor their "money back" guarantee if some reason the customer is not satisfied.

That pretty much says it all!

Nice result!

I thought Kreen was supposed to work slowly?

Seems to have worked very quickly for you. Good thing you kept an eye on the oil filter and changed it every 500 miles. Sounds like it was moving a lot of crud quickly!

Hello, Not to berate the KREEN's effects but the user likely used it when the gunk was still "gunky" and not baked into a brick-like material. In such a case the KREEN, or anything else, would need A LOT more time.

Chemical Congrats! (Seriously) Kira

First post is about kreen and no pics....get the flame suit ready.
lol.gif

Seriously, glad it worked for ya

Thanks for the heads up. I have been using KnN for about 20 years. One car, an MX6, I got 250k out of with minor oil usage at the end and had a KNN in it from new to end. Never noticed overly dirty oil.

I have a friend who runs the service shop of a large lawn and associated equipment seller and they use this on a ton of stuff.

My only guess is that it loosened up the crud under the valve cover quickly. My thought was that since it would clean out sludge I should keep an eye on the OF. My hunch was right.

That was my thought as well since the car taken care of up until the past 2 years and still getting great mileage. Just needed a good cleaning inside.

I know about the pics but the last thing I had time for was to pull the valve cover and take pics.

I would love to see a video of before and after result.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
First post is about kreen and no pics....get the flame suit ready.
lol.gif

Seriously, glad it worked for ya

LOL!

No pictures needed. When you use a chemical thats designed for industrial not consumer use and is not available in California at all, you better believe it can dissolve something without needing picture proof.

Last time someone provided pictures and careful documentation of Kreen use, he got flamed because it wasn't working!

BITOG irony at its finest!

You bet he got results, and right away. The fact that it is not available in California may be proof that it is quite effective!

Note that Kreen has been sold to consumers for decades, it is far from a new product. And they actually HONOR their warranty, unlike other snake oils that brag about their effectiveness and then berate clients who ask for their money back.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You bet he got results, and right away. The fact that it is not available in California may be proof that it is quite effective!

Note that Kreen has been sold to consumers for decades, it is far from a new product. And they actually HONOR their warranty, unlike other snake oils that brag about their effectiveness and then berate clients who ask for their money back.

The plastic bag my parts came in has a notice it the bag may cause cancer in lab animals.
Of course it matters to Mori he lives there, he is just trolling as usual.

Hey Trav this guy according to the information he supplied in his profile lives in Utah. But he sure seems to know a lot about California and be concerned about what is going on in California.

If I lived in Utah I don't think I would be all that concerned about what is happening in California. Utah is a completely different sort of place.

I live in Colorado. If I suddenly starting talking about a brand of gasoline sold in California or talking about some sort of state regulations in California people would probably start wondering a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back