I'm going to run Kreen in a 5s-fe, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: KeMBro2012
Originally Posted By: electrolover
How many times can he insult people before he gets a "vacation"????
Addaholics.....really?

some adds (such as Kreen) don't claim to improve an oil or do the oil's job better than the oil itself; rather, the claim is that they clean parts or soften/swell seals in ways oil is not intended to work.

I should say that anyone who can't wrap their head around that should, perhaps, find a different topic to discuss.

Excellent comments well received. Pay no attention to the naysayers, they bleat often here....

Bleat, I like that.

Trajan's link is about using MMO as a fuel stabilizer, what does that have to do with this discussion?????

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/505/

Which link was that? The one which points out what Kelly says?

Or the one that says he is Marvel's lead chemist?

I see that you don't contest that he is a dubious source. Calls into question why use mmo.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I haven't tryed rislone, but I hear its a lot like mmo.
3k ocis with TODAY'S dino oil will give the same results tho.

3k OCIs with pennzoil in my wife's '99 avalon killed it at 150k.

I I think what killed that car was the fact that it was an avalon
lol.gif
!!!!

no seriously sorry to hear about your misfortune

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
See, this is the kind of discourse that makes this forum useful. I honestly thought MMO was thinner than a 0 weight. My basis for this is comparing its rate of flow when topping of my wife's car with 4oz of the stuff to the rate of flow of the 0w20 I topped mine off with in roughly 20F weather; both oils were stored outside and would have been near ambient temperature. The 0w20 would have been about the consistency of a 5 weight at that temperature and the MMO was considerably thinner. We'll go with MMO being a straight 5, though, and run through a few scenarios.

Remember, the number before the W is just an indicator of the oil's cold temperature performance, it is NOT a "grade" that represents the oil's viscosity. 0w20 and 5w20 are both the same "weight", with 0w20 simply thickening less at sub-zero temperatures. Above that, which oil is thicker will depend on VI and HTHS. If the 0w20 has a lower VI and a similar HTHS to the 5w20, then the 5w20 is actually THINNER than the 0w20 at temperatures above freezing.

We don't know what the viscosity curve for MMO looks like, so it is hard to say as to whether it would behave like a 0w5, 5w5...etc.

So that throws your calculations off a bit.

My whole point was that *any* calculations involving an unknown (though someone here insists it's a straight 5 based on a forum post they read) like MMO is going to be off, but doing the calculations *at all* will yield a better guess as to what you're actually putting in your engine.

Some people see (not you) someone disagree with them on one point and assume they're being attacked. When this happens, they often go fetch some unrelated resource, such as a forum post about a completely different topic, and throw it on the table as a way of saying "well I considered this and you didn't, so I'm right and you're wrong"; it's amusing, especially when you've actually considered something actually related to the discussion that they refuse to acknowledge. Again, not talking about you, OVERKILL, but I'm sure if I made a separate post for that comment, in reply to that person (we all know who), the flaming would just continue.

I know who Rich Kelly is.

I'd like to know what I'm putting in my engine and I don't have access to Rich's notes, so I have to do the math myself.

I'm not second-guessing anyone or making any claims that MMO is no good (if I thought that, why the F would I use it?), I'm simply pointing out that I actually sat and did the math to figure out what's going in to my engine, and you did not.

If you want to argue that 1qt of MMO and 2.7qt of 0w20 is fine to run in an engine that calls for 3.7qt of 5w30, please do so, and show your work. If you want to viciously defend a product that's not being attacked, perhaps you need to reevaluate your priorities; I've said my part, I've set things as straight as they can be set here, and I'm done with this side conversation that's gotten a bit too off-topic for this thread. If you want to tell me how I'm wrong, do so, I'm willing to listen; but if you want to go off because I'm attacking some product that you like (when I'm truly not), please, just don't bother replying.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I haven't tryed rislone, but I hear its a lot like mmo.
3k ocis with TODAY'S dino oil will give the same results tho.

3k OCIs with pennzoil in my wife's '99 avalon killed it at 150k.

I I think what killed that car was the fact that it was an avalon
lol.gif
!!!!

no seriously sorry to hear about your misfortune

Always sad to see a well cared-for car make its last trip, but I'm in agreement regarding the cause.

See, this is the kind of discourse that makes this forum useful. I honestly thought MMO was thinner than a 0 weight. My basis for this is comparing its rate of flow when topping of my wife's car with 4oz of the stuff to the rate of flow of the 0w20 I topped mine off with in roughly 20F weather; both oils were stored outside and would have been near ambient temperature. The 0w20 would have been about the consistency of a 5 weight at that temperature and the MMO was considerably thinner. We'll go with MMO being a straight 5, though, and run through a few scenarios.

Remember, the number before the W is just an indicator of the oil's cold temperature performance, it is NOT a "grade" that represents the oil's viscosity. 0w20 and 5w20 are both the same "weight", with 0w20 simply thickening less at sub-zero temperatures. Above that, which oil is thicker will depend on VI and HTHS. If the 0w20 has a lower VI and a similar HTHS to the 5w20, then the 5w20 is actually THINNER than the 0w20 at temperatures above freezing.

We don't know what the viscosity curve for MMO looks like, so it is hard to say as to whether it would behave like a 0w5, 5w5...etc.

My whole point was that *any* calculations involving an unknown (though someone here insists it's a straight 5 based on a forum post they read) like MMO is going to be off, but doing the calculations *at all* will yield a better guess as to what you're actually putting in your engine.

Some people see (not you) someone disagree with them on one point and assume they're being attacked. When this happens, they often go fetch some unrelated resource, such as a forum post about a completely different topic, and throw it on the table as a way of saying "well I considered this and you didn't, so I'm right and you're wrong"; it's amusing, especially when you've actually considered something actually related to the discussion that they refuse to acknowledge. Again, not talking about you, OVERKILL, but I'm sure if I made a separate post for that comment, in reply to that person (we all know who), the flaming would just continue.

Ha. Another skyship reference. This guy is popular today.

If you did, then you would not state that Marvel's lead chemist would be a dubious source when it comes to mmo's effect.

Some people see (not you) someone disagree with them on one point and assume they're being attacked.

The same people who make such statements.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

If you did, then you would not state that Marvel's lead chemist would be a dubious source when it comes to mmo's effect.

1.dubious - fraught with uncertainty or doubt; "they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go"doubtfulincertain, uncertain, unsure - lacking or indicating lack of confidence or assurance; "uncertain of his convictions"; "unsure of himself and his future"; "moving with uncertain (or unsure) steps"; "an uncertain smile"; "touched the ornaments with uncertain fingers"2.dubious - open to doubt or suspicion; "the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horneydoubtful, dubitable, in questionquestionable - subject to question; "questionable motives"; "a questionable reputation"; "a fire of questionable origin"3.dubious - not convinced; "they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"unconvinced - lacking conviction; "I remain unconvinced"

Trajan's link is about using MMO as a fuel stabilizer, what does that have to do with this discussion?????

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/505/
Which link was that? The one which points out what Kelly says?

Or the one that says he is Marvel's lead chemist?

I see that you don't contest that he is a dubious source. Calls into question why use mmo.

I could have sworn the question was about the MMO effect on viscosity and calculating it, then you post a link to MMO's use as a fuel stabilizer. What was that all about? The person asking the question was concerned with viscosity, I thought the link would have shed light on his question with the link. Are we supposed to read your mind? We can you, hate MMO, how about something new?

Last edited:

No worries
smile.gif

I agree with the premise of doing the math, I just think we are a bit limited in terms of what we can extract from it in terms of a final viscosity "grade" other than what is after the W, which I think we can safely agree, will be lower with the addition of an oil with a viscosity of 5cSt.

1.dubious - fraught with uncertainty or doubt; "they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go"doubtfulincertain, uncertain, unsure - lacking or indicating lack of confidence or assurance; "uncertain of his convictions"; "unsure of himself and his future"; "moving with uncertain (or unsure) steps"; "an uncertain smile"; "touched the ornaments with uncertain fingers"2.dubious - open to doubt or suspicion; "the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horneydoubtful, dubitable, in questionquestionable - subject to question; "questionable motives"; "a questionable reputation"; "a fire of questionable origin"3.dubious - not convinced; "they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"unconvinced - lacking conviction; "I remain unconvinced"

Inane:

1: empty, insubstantial
2: lacking significance, meaning, or point : silly

Inane:

1: empty, insubstantial
2: lacking significance, meaning, or point : silly

I get it. Just like your inane, ridiculous constant badgering of these products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back