Kona 1.6T Oil Recommendations

There is no way in h_ll, I myself would put 5w-20 into a turbo car with or without classic fuel dilution that will be seen. My Hyundai 1.6T gets as much as 3/4 qt of fuel dilution in Minnesota winters as I am a short tripper. BUT, I do not fear fuel dilution as I have done extensive UOA and dump at 3,000 miles. ZERO worry's about fuel dilution. But I use 5w-30 oils with 11.2 and above on the 100C and 3.5 HTHS oils as a bare minimum. I myself would not use 5w-20 and I would blast warranty worries out of my mind, and use the oil I want to use. Hyundai's spec for oil is ONLY mileage based for CAFE standards. Add that to their MASSIVE issues with engine reliability and sorry Hyundai I am using a premium oil spec/or premium oil with your smit metallurgy choice and horrible reliability track record. They don't want to call out VW and MB specs on their engines. So they spec just for the lowest common denominator, CAFE. Let's see what they spec for this same car/engine in Europe.

Last edited:
1000 miles.
NO!
Don't make the same mistake I made. on my 2019 1.4

That is excellent oil in there, and what you put in to replace it will NOT compare.

GUARANTEED.

It's just going to hurt things.

Leave it. And I waited to change mine at about 5K and that was too early!

I'm not kidding here. And those are BIG filters on there with a very high bypass so NO downside.

- Ken

NO!
Don't make the same mistake I made. on my 2019 1.4

That is excellent oil in there, and what you put in to replace it will NOT compare.

GUARANTEED.

It's just going to hurt things.

Leave it. And I waited to change mine at about 5K and that was too early!

I'm not kidding here. And those are BIG filters on there with a very high bypass so NO downside.

- Ken
I changed the oil and filter out at 1000 miles, then again at 2,500 miles on our previous 2020. No issues whatsoever. The factory oil filter is the same filter you purchase at the dealer and the factory oil also has the green hue, so I'm not convinced it's any different than the OEM 508.00 oil also available from the dealer. Of course that would have to be verified with an oil analysis.

Either way I couldn't find any warning about an early first oil change in the owners manual. Some manufactures (Honda) say not to change the break in oil until the maintenance minder goes off, no such warning from VW. I'd much rather have any break in material drained out earlier than later especially when dealing with a turbo that shares the same oil. Over the top? Maybe. Cheap insurance and peace of mind? YES!

I changed the oil and filter out at 1000 miles, then again at 2,500 miles on our previous 2020. No issues whatsoever. The factory oil filter is the same filter you purchase at the dealer and the factory oil also has the green hue, so I'm not convinced it's any different than the OEM 508.00 oil also available from the dealer. Of course that would have to be verified with an oil analysis.

Either way I couldn't find any warning about an early first oil change in the owners manual. Some manufactures (Honda) say not to change the break in oil until the maintenance minder goes off, no such warning from VW. I'd much rather have any break in material drained out earlier than later especially when dealing with a turbo that shares the same oil. Over the top? Maybe. Cheap insurance and peace of mind? YES!
So what oil did you put in there? I'm glad it worked out. My VW Dealer Morons put in 5W40 and that ruined the party.
I porpbably should have gone to Audi and bough some 508 00 / 509 00 and had them put that in .
I though they would do the right thing but I ws mistaken as usual with the dreaded Pirates of the Coast up here in the Portsmouth Area; That what I call most all of the dealers up here with GOOD REASON.

So what oil did you put in there? I'm glad it worked out. My VW Dealer Morons put in 5W40 and that ruined the party.
I porpbably should have gone to Audi and bough some 508 00 / 509 00 and had them put that in .
I though they would do the right thing but I ws mistaken as usual with the dreaded Pirates of the Coast up here in the Portsmouth Area; That what I call most all of the dealers up here with GOOD REASON.
What happened, your engine blow up or something?

Yes, its a turbocharged GTI 1.6 liter engine. The manual states "SAE 0W20, API SN Plus/SP or ILSAC GF-6" . A footnote also says to use "full synthetic". The manual states that the 2.5 .iter engine should only use 0W30
I wonder what updates have been made to the 1.6t to accommodate lower viscosity oils?
Anyhow I wouldn't be surprised if down the line once they start throwing rods Hyundai will quickly raise a bulletin to use 20w50 😄

Just kidding I drive a Stinger and I'm a big fan of H/K & thin oils

What happened, your engine blow up or something?
Oh, come on with the smarty pants comments!

. It ran poorly, so poorly it almost toasted the cat con. Was getting some serious stink out of the exhaust due to some odd detuning.

Just shows that every thing must work together and you can't go WAY of in to left field with oil choices and expect good results with very complex modern engines, Though THIS choice wasn't on purpose - except by a dealer trying to use up their giant bulk tank of 5W40.

If this was a Simple engine with: DOHC, no VVT ,no variable oil pump, no mini turbo, not K-sense, with basic MAP / IA T/p controlled fueling It would like only be a bit hesitant to spin up compared to a 2 grades lighter lubricant.

But These new designs have critical interactions and they don't always "fail safe" when you change things beyond any anticipated variation withing the design parameters.
-Ken

1000 miles.
I think I will be doing the same as you gregk. It is interesting to note that my daughter has a 2015 Forte 5 with a 1.6 liter turbo engine and it calls for 5W30. I have to admit that I don't know for certain it is the same engine in my 2021 K5. Visually they look very different.

I think I will be doing the same as you gregk. It is interesting to note that my daughter has a 2015 Forte 5 with a 1.6 liter turbo engine and it calls for 5W30. I have to admit that I don't know for certain it is the same engine in my 2021 K5. Visually they look very different.
I doubt they are the same. Hyundai and Isa have changed a lot since 2015.

Oh, come on with the smarty pants comments!

. It ran poorly, so poorly it almost toasted the cat con. Was getting some serious stink out of the exhaust due to some odd detuning.

Just shows that every thing must work together and you can't go WAY of in to left field with oil choices and expect good results with very complex modern engines, Though THIS choice wasn't on purpose - except by a dealer trying to use up their giant bulk tank of 5W40.

If this was a Simple engine with: DOHC, no VVT ,no variable oil pump, no mini turbo, not K-sense, with basic MAP / IA T/p controlled fueling It would like only be a bit hesitant to spin up compared to a 2 grades lighter lubricant.

But These new designs have critical interactions and they don't always "fail safe" when you change things beyond any anticipated variation withing the design parameters.
-Ken
Actually, I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I understand VW has to use some kind of funky 50-something oil, and I never understood why. I always felt it was like a "dexos" rating of something like that. I wasn't sure if something like a mech failure happened or what. Apparently some engines are very particular on pressure and flow to the cam components.

Actually, I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I understand VW has to use some kind of funky 50-something oil, and I never understood why. I always felt it was like a "dexos" rating of something like that. I wasn't sure if something like a mech failure happened or what. Apparently some engines are very particular on pressure and flow to the cam components.
Sorry, I apologise; I took your comment wrong.:cry:

Most Euro car manufacturers have their own spec and approval list.
MB has 229.xx , VW has a whole bunch starting with 50x. BMW had LL01 and LL04,
Porsche A40 and a whole bunch of others and new specs coming as engines and priorities change. They were more focused on long oil life and a high margin of safety with higher Grade as and higher HTHS, but you will see their pendulum has swung to the light oils in many applications now, just like the US of A.

In fact the VW 508 00, that my 2019 1.4 turbo called for, is sort of in between a "watery" Honda 0W16 and an ILSAC 0W20

I'm absolutely sure a "Synthetic" ILSAC GF-6 0W20 would be just fine in there - if not for warranty.

they also put florescent dye markers in their oil; so no cheating and good for leak tracing.

Sorry again, Cheers! - Ken

You would think one could make an oil in various weights that would satisfy all these requirements.
Here is my owners manual listing. Says 6k under normal conditions. No “0w” listed.
3998743A-0CC2-461D-A572-E5E01CFC669A.png

Back