Kona 1.6T Oil Recommendations

Running oils like Mobil1 ESP 5W30 would be wast with OCI that is 3,500 miles.
IMO, it is more important going with good oil than what is OCI. Oils that have MB229.51, VW504.00/507.00, BMW LL04 approvals are several steps above oils like Kirkland etc.
You can find Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 in Wal mart for $22 for 5qt that has MB 229.51 and BMW LL04 approvals.

My OLD "go to oil" was Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP in my Kona AWD 1.6T, my new oil is Redline Euro 5w-30. I don't care what Hyundai says to use since their spec oil is mileage based. I highly question Hyundai/Kia's choice in engine metallurgy, so I wanted a good % of Ester to stay on my piston skirts on startup, and especially on startup in -10F to -25F. I also let my car warm up for 3-4 minutes when every I start it . I have seen a couple of pistons in Hyundai's with mid level miles with piston rock wear marks, so I give the pistons some time to expand before going. I have an after market car starter, so I just start it up 3 minutes before I go. Yes, even in the summer too. I change out my oil at 3,500 miles. I run Fram Titanium's on my car. No need to worry about getting a warranty because my 2013 Elantra GT had a Fram Ultra on it when I brought it in with the "Hyundai Tick of Death with 14,000 miles on it, (galled pistons that throw aluminum debris into the lifters with filter by-pass events) and it was warrantied. Or course they tried to squeak out of it, saying I had a high efficiency oil filter on it. Before they even stop saying those words. I said I have the right to use any name brand oil filter and NO it doesn't affect my warranty. No issues after they tried to deny.

Also Hyundai has approved the use of 5w-40 in turbo cars and in fact years ago there was a TSB stating they wanted you only to use only 5w-40 as they were trying to figure out their crap metallurgy issue out. They is zero mention on what certs they want for the 5w-40 oil ,so any 5w-40 can be used. I will only use an oil that is above a 11.5 @100c and a HTHS at or above 3.5 in any turbo car. I am on boost a lot and my Kona has a tune. And dump your rear diff oil at 8,000 miles, no matter what anyone tells you. Many of us have had very very dirty rear diff oil very very early while the rear diff is breaking in. I have changed mine out 3 times and it is finally staying clean at 22,000 miles. There is only a 1/2 a qt oil in there. The transfer case stay very clean, no worries till 40,000 even if you are hard on it.

Come over the largest Hyundai Kona forum and hunt around a bit if you would like.

Last edited:
Just purchased a 2021 Hyundai Kona for the wife. Supposed to pick it up either today or tomorrow. I do not know what oil it takes. But here is my deal. Like my 2021 Tucson, it has the "complimentary" maintenance at 7500 mile intervals. For me, and it being a Turbo, not gonna happen. So like my Tucson, I have a professional oil dipstick tube removal kit. At about 3500, I suck the oil out, and replace it. Leaving the filter and the tire rotation for the next oil change, which occurs at 7500 at the dealer. This helps me sleep better at night. My question is what recommendations do we have for an oil that works good for turbo engines, with concern for protection, LSPI issues, etc. ? From what little I have gathered, its possibly using a 5w-30. Is that bitog-approved?

we’re using 5w30 in ours at work with OEM cartridge filter

Hyundai Kia makes nice cars but I don't trust their engineering. And their owners manual is one, if not the most ambiguous.
Toy/Nissan/Honda are all specified to run thin 0W20 / 0w16 and in Japan they're even using 0w8.
The 400HP Infiniti Q60 V6 uses 0w20.

I fee Hyundai/Kia insist on thicker oils to shield against their lack of confidence in the durability of their engines. I remember for the 1.6t they even put out a service bulletin to run 5w40 instead of 30.

Just purchased a 2021 Hyundai Kona for the wife. Supposed to pick it up either today or tomorrow. I do not know what oil it takes. But here is my deal. Like my 2021 Tucson, it has the "complimentary" maintenance at 7500 mile intervals. For me, and it being a Turbo, not gonna happen. So like my Tucson, I have a professional oil dipstick tube removal kit. At about 3500, I suck the oil out, and replace it. Leaving the filter and the tire rotation for the next oil change, which occurs at 7500 at the dealer. This helps me sleep better at night. My question is what recommendations do we have for an oil that works good for turbo engines, with concern for protection, LSPI issues, etc. ? From what little I have gathered, its possibly using a 5w-30. Is that bitog-approved?
My Vw 1.4tsi had no problem going 6.5K miles on a REAL synthetic. And I'm retired that took almost a year to get there.
So don't waste your time overchanging oil. Find another hobby.
My UOA show much less wear per mile than those who change on schedule and I'm pushing intervals to 10K miles - and even that's on technosynthese not synthetisches Öl.

What is the spouses driving regimen?

What is it that you consider a "real" synthetic? Please, not amsoil. Not into their marketing, nor do I think their products are any better or worse than M1. Her regimen is 75%highway, 25%city.

Hyundai Kia makes nice cars but I don't trust their engineering. And their owners manual is one, if not the most ambiguous.
Toy/Nissan/Honda are all specified to run thin 0W20 / 0w16 and in Japan they're even using 0w8.
The 400HP Infiniti Q60 V6 uses 0w20.

I fee Hyundai/Kia insist on thicker oils to shield against their lack of confidence in the durability of their engines. I remember for the 1.6t they even put out a service bulletin to run 5w40 instead of 30.
My 2021 Kia K5 takes 0w20. It is the only grade of oil listed in the manual. I could basically put any grade, according to the manual, into my now sold 2011 Optima.

My 2021 Kia K5 takes 0w20. It is the only grade of oil listed in the manual. I could basically put any grade, according to the manual, into my now sold 2011 Optima.
The K5 is boosted?
The manual usually would say something silly like ACEA A5 or higher. Which makes no sense and on the chart would show acceptable viscosoties from 5w30 to 20w50 LOL

What is it that you consider a "real" synthetic? Please, not amsoil. Not into their marketing, nor do I think their products are any better or worse than M1. Her regimen is 75%highway, 25%city.
Motul 8100 or equivalent A5/B5. EDIT: I take that back. Just looked at Motul SDS on X-clean 5W40, Shows GrpIII.
The 8100 EcoNergey 0W30 shows 10-25% PAO. I had to Show Company Name and address to get this info just now.

CAS: 64742-54-7 GHS08 50 EC: 265-157-1 Dgr
Asp. Tox. 1, H304
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM),
HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC

CAS: 157707-86-3 GHS08 10 EC: 500-393-3 Dgr
REACH: 01-2119493949-12-0000 Asp. Tox. 1, H304
DEC-1-ENE, TRIMERS,
HYDROGENATED

CAS: 72623-86-0 GHS08 L 1 EC: 276-737-9 Dgr
REACH: 01-2119474878-16 Asp. Tox. 1, H304
Made under licence of European Label System, Software of INFODYNE (http://www.infodyne.fr)

Last edited:
The K5 is boosted?
The manual usually would say something silly like ACEA A5 or higher. Which makes no sense and on the chart would show acceptable viscosoties from 5w30 to 20w50 LOL
“Kia K5 GT. The top-of-the-line K5 GT trim has a starting price of $30,490. It features a 290-horsepower 2.5-liter turbo-four engine, a sport-tuned suspension, and front-wheel drive.”

“Kia K5 GT. The top-of-the-line K5 GT trim has a starting price of $30,490. It features a 290-horsepower 2.5-liter turbo-four engine, a sport-tuned suspension, and front-wheel drive.”
Albi Biermann is doing great things at KIA for us enthusiasts,

But " ... a sport-tuned suspension, and front-wheel drive ...:

is a non sequitur :)

But you can get a VW GLI for about 26K USD out the door.

And it's as Fast and Quick as a 1968 Shelby GT500 KR with a 428 SCJ engine.

Actually, it would be fun to watch and see which one of these two 'grenades' the pin falls out of first :)

Is that k5 turbocharged, or just the NA 2.5 ?
Yes, its a turbocharged GTI 1.6 liter engine. The manual states "SAE 0W20, API SN Plus/SP or ILSAC GF-6" . A footnote also says to use "full synthetic". The manual states that the 2.5 .iter engine should only use 0W30

I’m repeating others at this point. Verify the spec in your owners manual. I agree with you on the early change. We will be doing 5k OCI on our Jetta 1.4 TSI with 2 break in oil / filter changes.

I’m repeating others at this point. Verify the spec in your owners manual. I agree with you on the early change. We will be doing 5k OCI on our Jetta 1.4 TSI with 2 break in oil / filter changes.
At what mileage are you considering doing your first oil change gregk?

Back