Kohler Engine Update School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kohler confirmed two things in class this last week. First, changing oil often(every 100 hours) is more important than using the best synthetic oil. Second, Kohler was like a dictator when it came to only running 10w-30 in their engines with hydraulic lifters. Now they're pushing 20W-50(over 32 degrees) for increased engine cleanliness, less wear, runs cooler, and less volatility.

I have the info at work - I'll post a pic sometime this week. Reading between the lines - I see this applying more to the Kohler big block engines that are used commercially in hot climates. The hydraulic lifters have a design change as of Sept. 2013. With older Command series engines I would still use 10w-30.

I personally have never seen hydraulic lifter issues by using thicker oils, the lifter problems are from not changing or overheated oil.

Originally Posted By: Jasonenginetech
Kohler confirmed two things in class this last week. First, changing oil often(every 100 hours) is more important than using the best synthetic oil. Second, Kohler was like a dictator when it came to only running 10w-30 in their engines with hydraulic lifters. Now they're pushing 20W-50(over 32 degrees) for increased engine cleanliness, less wear, runs cooler, and less volatility.

Is this a generic Kohler statement or just those without pressurized oil and a filter?

Oil choice is never black and white. It's still a personal choice that is different for every application. I was just shocked to see Kohler selling and advocating the use of 20w-50. I personally use Delo 5w-40 HDEO in all my outdoor power equipment with frequent oil changes. Honda generator Mobil 15w-50. In my turbocharged Fiesta ST and Mustang GT mobil 0w-20. Motorcycle Mobil 10w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back