KN171C Harley oil filter Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, been awhile since I’ve been in here. Here’s a K&N KN-171C that came off my “new” 2008 Electra Glide. Stock except for mufflers, 59,600 total miles. Unknown mileage on oil and filter, but the oil was BLACK and the filter was getting a little rust on the crimp even though the bike was stored in a dry place. Anyways, filter looked pretty good; no ADBV. Media tore very easily once it was separated from end plates; no way is this a $17 filter IMHO. Enjoy!
E5CC80E4-0178-4FF3-A1C9-A665119DCA1B.jpeg
5ECDFDC1-A208-4867-AA7C-FD18A9D51752.jpeg
4FFD5433-27C5-4150-ADDC-F3E4187F2059.jpeg
6B4B5B56-DB54-4E33-9B1B-C0E770B0A8F8.jpeg
BFCD37D7-4244-4442-8DD6-691CD9993A3F.jpeg
DBD1DAF7-FEB0-4141-A4A8-D0DDF6E7B5D4.jpeg
7021014F-7833-4E63-8E94-9C0371F44DFE.jpeg
101E9FCB-8489-4282-A9E3-73902546862F.jpeg

That thin filter media is exactly why I have no problem paying $14.50 for a Honda OEM oil filter.

But I guess that chrome can costs a few bucks extra as well.

Hey guys, been awhile since I’ve been in here. Here’s a K&N KN-171C that came off my “new” 2008 Electra Glide. Stock except for mufflers, 59,600 total miles. Unknown mileage on oil and filter, but the oil was BLACK and the filter was getting a little rust on the crimp even though the bike was stored in a dry place. Anyways, filter looked pretty good; no ADBV. Media tore very easily once it was separated from end plates; no way is this a $17 filter IMHO. Enjoy!View attachment 113410View attachment 113411View attachment 113412View attachment 113413View attachment 113414View attachment 113415View attachment 113416View attachment 113417
Looking into filter those louvers look like hammered dog 💩💩

Otherwise it looks ok. What oil and filter went back in and on?

Thank You

Amsoil V-Twin 20W50 and a Fram XG3614 (I know, the world is going to end since I didn’t use a chrome Harley 5-micron filter!!)

The world won’t end but gimme a SM5 over that KN any day, I usually take mine black, but no swing the chrome looks nice on the 103B.

SM5? Is that the Harley-branded one? I bought one of those but visions of gold cans danced in my head, and won out this go-round. I’ve got the “SuperPremium5” sitting on the shelf, maybe for next time.

The Titanium is still built like the OG Ultra ... and the Titanium is black and orange - Harley color scheme. 😄
Yeah, I’ve been reading the various threads about the Fram Titanium & watched some YT videos. It looks good & the Harley colors are a bonus. 😁

Yeah, I’ve been reading the various threads about the Fram Titanium & watched some YT videos. It looks good & the Harley colors are a bonus. 😁
Check it out ... black and orange. 😄

Check it out ... black and orange. 😄

Oh yeah, I saw that thread you started. Great photos and discussion.

Don't think the older ones used 5 micron filters.
According to the (very limited) research I've done on the Twin Cam engines, the 5 micron filters have been the preferred/recommended ones due to piston squirters, or the cam chain tensioners, or... insert reason here. Harley is expectedly tight-lipped other than their "recommendation" of a clearly mis-advertised filter. There's no performance specs or beta ratios to make an educated guess- just a "SuperPremium5" on the box to make one feel good. I'll trust a wire-backed Fram Ultra over a no-name-disclosed, statistically-unproven branded filter any day. But that's my $ talking.

Harley is expectedly tight-lipped other than their "recommendation" of a clearly mis-advertised filter. There's no performance specs or beta ratios to make an educated guess- just a "SuperPremium5" on the box to make one feel good.
If it caught one 5u particles, then I guess it's a "5u filter". 😄

If it caught one 5u particles, then I guess it's a "5u filter". 😄
Right? I'm no micron-level expert, but I would expect that if a filter of the XG3614 size reliably filtered 99%@5u on an engine that generated even an average amount of wear particles & dirt ingression, it would have a recommended life measured in the hundreds of miles, or something similarly laughably short. Like as in, "Change your oil filter & top up the sump after every tankful of gas".

Right? I'm no micron-level expert, but I would expect that if a filter of the XG3614 size reliably filtered 99%@5u on an engine that generated even an average amount of wear particles & dirt ingression, it would have a recommended life measured in the hundreds of miles, or something similarly laughably short. Like as in, "Change your oil filter & top up the sump after every tankful of gas".
The OG Ultra (and probably also the new Ultra isn't far off) was pretty high efficiency at 5u, yet it's still rated for upto 20K miles of use.

I just looked this Oil Filter up on Amazon and they are claiming 99% efficiency at 5 microns. The OG Ultra is like 99% at 20 Microns, not going to comment further but ask has this Oil Filter been tested and who makes it?

Harley’s filter says nominal so 5@50%.

It’s Champion made wire backed Synthetic media.

It’s a nice filter unless they recently fouled it up…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back