kind of grease in "sealed for life" tie rod ends..

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of grease do they put in "sealed for life" tie rod ends, and ball joints, etc? Would it have a high moly content- above 50%?

That's an awesome question and I'm also curious
35.gif

No thats not a typo. MOLYKOTE M-77 PASTE has 60%+ of Molybdenum disulfide. MSDS can be found here- DOW MOLYKOTE

Honda Moly 60 has 25% or more of moly- not sure if they still make it.

TS-70 Moly Paste With 70% MoS2 is another.

Hve you checked the price of Molykote M-77? It's too expensive to use for the suspension... about $165 per kg.

And if you read the product data sheet, they talk about using it in the sliding points of automotive brake hardware but not suspension poionts.

Let's keep it real.

Wait a minute there- I was just stating that there are greases that do contain high percents of moly. Previous poster made it sound impossible that there would be anything with more than 5%- thats all.

And M77 may be $169 a kg, but you arent going to use a whole KG in a tie rod end- lets keep it real.

So dont let your Detroit roots get the best of you and dont be such a [censored].

At 50% filler content it is now anti-seize, not grease. The stuff in sealed-for-life joints always looks like normal grease to me... usually black, so likely a high moly content like 3-5%.

Name calling in BITOG is not a great way to keep things real...

I also think that if you bought a cheap replacement tierod end, it would come with cheap grease, and if you bought something like an OEM Toyota tierod end, you would get really good grease.

I have no idea what may be used OE but I drilled and tapped two QH tie rod ends a few weeks back for grease nipples and purged the old/new grease out with CAT Desert Gold Grease.

regardless of what comes in the ball joint, if you have ever popped off the boot you will find very little grease, and usually none down in the boot to keep water out. It's always a good idea too fill the boot on sealed units with a compatible grease.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Yup... I use a needle and inject grease into them yearly.

Excellent idea. I recently bought a needle that fits right onto the end of the grease coupler. I plan to do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back