Killing the car guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all whats important to you.

For me I care about the boat and cars, and the lifestyle they offer. Property is nice, I have a lot of that too, just don't live in it and quite frankly I hate working on houses when I'm not working. They are just a commodity to me, pope them up, tear them down, whatever, its just a bunch of dollar signs on dirt. Sometimes they go up in value, sometimes they go down, such is life.

I'm perfectly happy living in a nice condo in a great location, so I can walk down to my boat.

Besides owning a big house for a primary residence isn't as great as it used to be. Even if you pay it off the taxes are still high and your never done paying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Makes more sense to get the deal of the moment (like a Cruze or Avenger) and save a few bucks...

Well, yes, it always makes more sense to get the deal of the moment, if it's a new car.

That's why I have three Pontiacs. Number one purchased when the economy collapsed and no reasonable offer would be refused, as long as you could write a check on the spot to pay for it.

Numbers two and three when they killed the marque and fire sold the remaining inventory. One new fully optioned GXP and one new fully optioned roadster, each for econobox money.

I really don't consider myself a "car guy", but these are great days for car guys. They've never been better designed and built, or faster and cheaper than they are right now.

Get 'em while you can, because CAFE will kill all the fun.

as the "car" guy (really truck guy) I never pay more than $1000 for a vehicle and service it 100% myself with parts at a great price (online, rebates, coupons, junkyard, etc).

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Its all whats important to you.

For me I care about the boat and cars, and the lifestyle they offer. Property is nice, I have a lot of that too, just don't live in it and quite frankly I hate working on houses when I'm not working. They are just a commodity to me, pope them up, tear them down, whatever, its just a bunch of dollar signs on dirt. Sometimes they go up in value, sometimes they go down, such is life.

I'm perfectly happy living in a nice condo in a great location, so I can walk down to my boat.

Besides owning a big house for a primary residence isn't as great as it used to be. Even if you pay it off the taxes are still high and your never done paying.

Agreed! Have i seen you on one of the recent bachelor threads
smile.gif

I think everyone has their hobbies, and having interesting/high performance cars can be an expensive one.
Also for those of us that have a significant commute, the main car criteria are reliability, comfort and lower cost per mile, which doesn't often accompany high performance in a vehicle.
Also I don't really need 200-300-400hp to have fun in a corner, or 285/35R18 UHP tires. There's no prize for pulling an extra .2g, or having a second gear wind out to well above the speed limit, except maybe a more expensive ticket.
IMO its all relative anyways, I can do some rev matched downshifts, trail brake into a corner, then power out with the backend sliding a little with my Tracker, all without drawing alot of attention and at a relatively safe speed. Or get really sideways doing WO 2nd gear drifts on my gravel driveway pretending I'm Ken Block.
And my old Neon was pretty fun for autocross, I made it neutral for $200 in springs and a sway bar and file to slot the front struts. Maybe it didn't have the steering precision of a performance car, or brake feel, or whatever, but in the heat of trying to cut half a second of my fast time, it was fun and I never blamed the car for my mistakes. It was the competition and pushing yourself that made the driving experience, the car is just the tool you are working with, whatever it is.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
greaper007 said:
That's the funny thing. Most millionaires drive older cars, and most that I know don't drive fancy models. It's those that pretend they are millionaires and want to "look the part" that are car rich and everything else poor. Often they are leveraged to the hilt and just a few bad situations away from bankruptcy.

I must admit that this discussion has filled me with bitter regret; instead of spending glorious weekends lapping Watkins Glen, Infineon, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Motorsport Ranch, and Putnam Road Course in various Bimmers and hot hatches I should have been driving the automotive equivalent of sackcloth and ashes.
Now I'm tortured by thoughts of what might have been...

I remember being 16 and going with my dad when he was buying a new car. I tried to push him towards BMW or Mercedes. I said "dad, you make a high salary and could afford to drive a much nicer car than a Camry." He said "nah," pulled out his checkbook and paid cash for a brand new Camry. I said, isn't that a boring car. He told me that after a landing on an aircraft carrier there's no such thing as an exciting car, and the most exciting thing for him is being completely financially independent. To the point that if you lose your job today, you could live a very comfortably lifestyle off the couple of million dollars that you squirreled away over the years. Then he told me that if I started an IRA now, he'd match whatever I put into it. I haven't been able to shake that value since.

I'd love to have a beautiful fast car to drive, and if I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 million in assets, I might consider buying something. But I don't, and working towards F-you money just seems so much more exciting to me at this point. To each his own.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think everyone has their hobbies, and having interesting/high performance cars can be an expensive one.
Also for those of us that have a significant commute, the main car criteria are reliability, comfort and lower cost per mile, which doesn't often accompany high performance in a vehicle.
Also I don't really need 200-300-400hp to have fun in a corner, or 285/35R18 UHP tires. There's no prize for pulling an extra .2g, or having a second gear wind out to well above the speed limit, except maybe a more expensive ticket.
IMO its all relative anyways, I can do some rev matched downshifts, trail brake into a corner, then power out with the backend sliding a little with my Tracker, all without drawing alot of attention and at a relatively safe speed. Or get really sideways doing WO 2nd gear drifts on my gravel driveway pretending I'm Ken Block.
And my old Neon was pretty fun for autocross, I made it neutral for $200 in springs and a sway bar and file to slot the front struts. Maybe it didn't have the steering precision of a performance car, or brake feel, or whatever, but in the heat of trying to cut half a second of my fast time, it was fun and I never blamed the car for my mistakes. It was the competition and pushing yourself that made the driving experience, the car is just the tool you are working with, whatever it is.

I know people that race old cavaliers and the like. It seems like having a limit on what you can actually put in the car adds another dimension of challenge and requires way more knowledge than a big checkbook.

Originally Posted By: greaper007
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
greaper007 said:
That's the funny thing. Most millionaires drive older cars, and most that I know don't drive fancy models. It's those that pretend they are millionaires and want to "look the part" that are car rich and everything else poor. Often they are leveraged to the hilt and just a few bad situations away from bankruptcy.

I must admit that this discussion has filled me with bitter regret; instead of spending glorious weekends lapping Watkins Glen, Infineon, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Motorsport Ranch, and Putnam Road Course in various Bimmers and hot hatches I should have been driving the automotive equivalent of sackcloth and ashes.
Now I'm tortured by thoughts of what might have been...

I remember being 16 and going with my dad when he was buying a new car. I tried to push him towards BMW or Mercedes. I said "dad, you make a high salary and could afford to drive a much nicer car than a Camry." He said "nah," pulled out his checkbook and paid cash for a brand new Camry. I said, isn't that a boring car. He told me that after a landing on an aircraft carrier there's no such thing as an exciting car, and the most exciting thing for him is being completely financially independent. To the point that if you lose your job today, you could live a very comfortably lifestyle off the couple of million dollars that you squirreled away over the years. Then he told me that if I started an IRA now, he'd match whatever I put into it. I haven't been able to shake that value since.

I'd love to have a beautiful fast car to drive, and if I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 million in assets, I might consider buying something. But I don't, and working towards F-you money just seems so much more exciting to me at this point. To each his own.

I dunno, for those of us not landing on aircraft carriers and DO find cars exciting, you can certainly do it affordably. I paid far less than the price of a new Camry for my M5. It was used, low mileage and I can afford to fix any of the issues that may come up because I don't have a car payment. Insuring it is no more than a Camry (maybe even less), it is good on gas if you stay off the loud pedal, handles and rides beautifully and is far better appointed.

I've never owned a new car. Always bought used.

Different ways to look at it I guess
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I dunno, for those of us not landing on aircraft carriers and DO find cars exciting, you can certainly do it affordably. I paid far less than the price of a new Camry for my M5. It was used, low mileage and I can afford to fix any of the issues that may come up because I don't have a car payment. Insuring it is no more than a Camry (maybe even less), it is good on gas if you stay off the loud pedal, handles and rides beautifully and is far better appointed.

smile.gif

I generally buy used as well; the Mazda and the Club Sport are the only major exceptions. In the case of the Mazda, I wanted the Mazdaspeed and it had just been introduced. The Club Sport was a special edition from BMW Individual and I custom ordered it because I wanted it built without a hole in the roof.
The X3 was a one year old CPO that cost less than a new loaded Escape. The 328i is also a CPO and it cost less than a new mid-sized Camcord appliance.
I got a screaming deal on the Wrangler in 2002 while I bought the '02 off eBay in 2008.
Depreciation is my friend...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

smile.gif

I generally buy used as well; the Mazda and the Club Sport are the only major exceptions. In the case of the Mazda, I wanted the Mazdaspeed and it had just been introduced. The Club Sport was a special edition from BMW Individual and I custom ordered it because I wanted it built without a hole in the roof.
The X3 was a one year old CPO that cost less than a new loaded Escape. The 328i is also a CPO and it cost less than a new mid-sized Camcord appliance.
I got a screaming deal on the Wrangler in 2002 while I bought the '02 off eBay in 2008.
Depreciation is my friend...

While I do buy new occasionally I buy a ton of used cars. We love to clean them up, enjoy them, and turn them for profits or move them into family service. Great deals abound, but prices are up in my area.

Funny thing is, older cars cost me more for insurance. My new fleet van is substantially less than a nearly identical older model, despite a ton more value.

Depreciation is indeed a good thing, but prices are much higher than I expect sometimes these days...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Actually, autocrossing does sound fun!

You should try it some time, go once with your regular tires just to see if you like it at all. You'll probably find your car has a lot of understeer, but the easiest way to balance the car is to get a free pair of used high performance tires from the back of a car dealership and put them on the front only. Presto! your car is now neutral for the cost of 2 junkyard rims and mounting the tires. You don't even need to balance them.
I did this in HS on my mom's Corolla and it made it alot more fun.
I still ran mismatched sets on the Neon until I put in stiffer rear springs, then it was neutral with equal tires.
If your courses are pretty fast then you probably can balance the car enough just with tire pressures, say 38psi on the front and 26 at the back.

Different people feel differently about driving - and that's ok. Some people mpg is important, to me though, it's all about the enjoyment per gallon. I daily drive a 650 HP Viper in the summer, and in the winter I drive a 13 second grand marquis. Sure I've had to make trade offs in my life for these cars, but at the end of the day, when I get where I'm going, it wasn't a commute, it was entertainment getting there. I guess I'm a real gear head. I mean, who else is nuts enough to get a tattoo of a 6 speed pattern on top of their hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back