Anybody renting their cars out on Turo?

For the most part, the only people renting Turo cars are either looking for exotics that regular rental agencies don't rent out, or people that regular rental agencies won't rent to.

For the most part, the only people renting Turo cars are either looking for exotics that regular rental agencies don't rent out, or people that regular rental agencies won't rent to.

From my research, the only way to make Turo work is to be the lowest cost economy car on the platform renting a 4-5 year old Rio or Accent or on the complete other end of the spectrum renting unique premium cars. If you're near a major airport and can pick up/drop off renters even better. But margins are slim, you'll spend a lot of time and money on cleaning/maintenance and dealing with getting the cars to renters and returning. Most renters seem to be respectful but you're likely to inevitably run into someone that smokes in the car and trashes it, damages it or wrecks it. Turo sucks up a lot of the rental fee for themselves.

The other way is to have some exotic special car. This is much, much more likely to attract someone that will abuse and destroy your car. Remember the viral video of the "flying Tesla"? That was a Turo car.

Middle of the road mainstream renters go with a real rental car company.

Basically no money in it, a lot of risk and a lot of work for pennies.

I'm way too particular about my cars and I'd want to spend too much time explaining quirks to someone driving my cars.

I used it to rent a pickup truck for a weekend once in san antonio, and a bmw sedan in las vegas.

Both times it went fine, i put full insurnace on the rental both times.

It is cheaper than the current market of rental cars from national chains in those two areas at least.

I see it being worthwhile if your car is in the shop, to rent a beater for a week or whatever.

I know people who have rented I it a car and had good luck. However his client was a lawyer occasionally needing a car to go to courthouse and regular .

I also know a friend who got burned by them twice renting. The car was not there and then a “friend” had key to different car stuck in airport lot he had to pay $30 to get out .

His wife later found the parole papers to the VW Toureag owner in glove. Ox where owner could not likely get to car without violating parole. He returned it and spent hours on phone getting refund .

Next truro car same vacation the owner of replacement rental made up all sorts of damages upon return as his photos showed the car was decent but had some minor blemishes. The owner of rental was trying to scam Truro and renter and more hours on phone.

I think it’s worth trying one car and seeing how business scales up. You seem to have decent access.

Back