Killing the car guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I watch the gas prices rise yet again, I can only shake my head. It's almost to the point that I simply don't care, as they pretty much do as they please anyways..Of course, we get a double wammy here, because we have some of the highest rates in the country. Someone mentioned in a thread a while back about his rates jumping from like 550 to 620 (I think..guessing here!) a year...ours rates are like twice that (and more) for just basic plpd!
crazy2.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love my cars...but I start to really see just how high the costs are getting, and it makes you rethink big time...20k for just a basic economy sedan? With insurance rates higher than the payment? And still take good care of it? Almost makes one wonder if it will past house costs...crazy, but who really knows?

I had plans for a minivan, or a more basic small SuV, something I can enjoy (Even my wife thinks I deserve it, as I always drive the beater), but I just can't see wasting the extra money in my eyes. Makes more sense to get the deal of the moment (like a Cruze or Avenger) and save a few bucks... And used for me is not in the cards here, I watch every day what people do to these leases here, and since I know a few dealerships, seen the abused ones come back..bad! And the used car prices...still quite silly here. Just saw an ad for a used 2011 Civic just 100 bucks cheaper than when it was new! (I even looked it up!)

Now I could afford a larger payment if I wanted to, but I do not like all the uncertainty..Am I crazy and over thinking it, or right in being super careful?

Sorry, just had to get a rant off my chest, it was bothering me a bit, so thanks for listening!

beaters rule! Spill a coke or coffee while driving? who cares, wait till I get home to ever clean it up. Muddy shoes? no biggie. Falling headliner? a few staples can fix that right up. Brakes squeaking? that can wait 4 months till the inspection.

My payment is exactly $0 per month and my insurance and tax bills are affordable. With all the money I have saved I bought a boat and a jetski this year,

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
beaters rule! Spill a coke or coffee while driving? who cares, wait till I get home to ever clean it up. Muddy shoes? no biggie. Falling headliner? a few staples can fix that right up. Brakes squeaking? that can wait 4 months till the inspection.

My payment is exactly $0 per month and my insurance and tax bills are affordable. With all the money I have saved I bought a boat and a jetski this year,

Lol! There is some truth to that! Though my "beater" (my Slobalt) gets better care than most people take of their fancy ones! It just got a nice wax a few days ago...
smile.gif

I might not even need to look for another car if I did not need something with 4 doors....

Insurance rates higher than the car payment?! I say what are you talking about?! You have a couple DUI's or something?

It's a mixed bag. Gas is more expensive, but (many) cars get considerably better mileage than they used to. Cars cost a lot more, but they have a considerably better safety system than in the past. They also last considerably longer. From what I recall, up until about the late 80s most people didn't expect more than about 100,000 miles from anything but a diesel or maybe a Mercedes or Toyota. Heck, the big 3 only used a 5 place odometer. Now even American cars easily go 200,000.

I got rid of a 90 Maxima that I received in 99 just shy of its 20th birthday (if only the rust wasn't eating it away). I currently drive an 03 Golf that I'll probably keep for at least another 5 or 6 years. I occasionally ride in a nice car and I find it enjoyable, but I don't understand paying $30,000+ just to be a little more comfortable and drive a little faster.

Honestly, I ride my bicycle about half the time and I find that way more enjoyable than driving and I don't have to worry about gas prices or insurance. I also enjoy being in better shape now than when I was in high school. I know that Michigan isn't nearly as bike friendly as the Denver area, but if you're tired of gas prices throw some saddle bags and slick tires on your old mountain bike and use it for as many trips as possible. I was able to go an entire month without filling my tank this summer and as an added bonus I didn't have to do extra cardio at the gym.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Insurance rates higher than the car payment?! I say what are you talking about?! You have a couple DUI's or something?

We have very insurance rates here now..few different reasons. I'm paying almost twice more than I was just a few years ago...

Nope, no DUIs. No tickets, good credit....

And I guess it would depend on the payment too..referring to car payment here, but there are cars/trucks that would be more..to give an idea, my neighbor who just bought an avenger, put money down, and her payment was like 270 a month. Cost of her insurance? 3500 a year. She has no "tie ups" either...

Yes, car cost a lot more now, as is insurance and gas.

But it is still much cheaper than anything else and it is still cheaper here than most other places on earth.

I think it make sense to buy a new fuel saving car and drive it for 250k miles, but if you couldn't, it make sense to buy a good quality one with around 50k miles on it unless you are in the salt belt.

Who doesn't want a V8 sport car? but the reality is there are more important things in life than spending on V8 sport car. If you can afford it great, but it is not really a deal breaker not having one.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
As I watch the gas prices rise yet again, I can only shake my head...they pretty much do as they please anyways..

Oil companies do not set prices.

There was a series of fires recently at a refinery in one of the Gulf states. The fires have cut deeply into production. Prices generally rise after such events, since everybody gets scared about supply and prices get bid up. Prices will fall back down again after the panic passes and the refinery is back in full production.

Refineries generally run at or near full capacity, so the slightest disturbance tends to threaten supply and spook buyers, causing a temporary spike in prices.

Commodity prices in general have been on a long upwards trend anyway, on account of the generally inflationary trend of the US dollar, the Fed's easy-money policy, and various federal government policies (such as the ethanol mandate).

Bingo! I feel exactly the same way. While I always want my wife in a good/decent/newer car, I've driven beaters my entire life. When I was in High School, I drove a rusted and wrinkled '69 Buick Skylark. I watched as my buddies flipped burgers after school to make car payments while my ride was completely paid for and my after school job put money in the bank. Currently, I have two rides, a '93 Ford Taurus and a '95 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Any time I feel a longing to drive something newer, I pull onto the new car lot, hop out, get a good dose of sticker shock and suddenly, as if by magic, my rides look great.

Now you know why so many people live in big cities with good public transit where things are walkable. The suburbs are built at the "auto-scale" meaning that they're built for cars. The urban areas are built at the "human-scale" meaning they're built for people.

Sometimes I do fantasize about what I'd do with all the extra cash if I didn't have a car payment, gas, repair, insurance, parking, etc...but then I go drive the car and change my mind.
grin.gif

Quote:
Almost makes one wonder if it will past house costs...crazy, but who really knows?

In lower income homes it already does.

John

Bring in an old K car wagon,have it gone over with Fluid Film,do whatever mechanical and body touch up is needed,and drive it forever.You will get mid to high 20s mpg every week and you will have a near one of a kind.And good ones are out there for around $1500 bucks.Parts are cheap(all over EBAY),the slant4 engine is very easy to work on (it was designed around maintenance),every shop knows how to rebuild the A413 auto tranny,you have a beam rear axle so no alignment issues,seats up to 6 people...and none of this horrid OBDII stuff to always go wrong.Plus,performance items from other 80s era Chrysler cars (like Daytona) interchange,so you could have a Shelby handling Reliant wagon in no time!

Originally Posted By: John_K
Quote:
Almost makes one wonder if it will past house costs...crazy, but who really knows?

In lower income homes it already does.

John

are you referring to those on section 8 housing? driving fancy escalades with 24 inch rims?

To me, these days, a car is an appliance. I like to look and dream on occasion. Due to hail damage, my van is paid for and still runs fine. The payment on my colorado is only $185. If I could sell it and put my equity into a decent used S10 that I could pay cash for, I would. I do my own maintenance as much as possible to keep costs at a minimum and do extended oci's.
If I could afford one of those recumbent bikes that made it easier to ride, I would get one and ride it to and from work. I need the exercise. Plenty of people throughout the world do just fine without an automobile. There are lots of good used autos out there with plenty of life left in them. I've had people come to our dealership to trade there perfectly fine vehicles with 60k miles because they thought it was getting to be "high mileage". My Grand Caravan has 174k miles on it and I hope to get at least another 50k before I junk it.

Sounds to me like you enjoy boats and jetskis more than cars. This forum is filled with people just trying to keep their hoopty duct taped together and their wifes minivan rocking and rolling . When people are taking their high flow air filters off because they think 20 ppm of silicon is going to destroy their motor you know their arent alot of enthusiasts here .If the op wants feedback from car guys go spend some time on the the car lounge

Part of the joy of owning a car and being a car guy, to me, is driving something with high miles and worn out ... but will run across the country with no problem!

With that said, all of my dream vehicles can be had for under $5000 each! That's good!

I'm a 'car guy' I guess and I love my old beat up Cherokee.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Bingo! I feel exactly the same way. While I always want my wife in a good/decent/newer car, I've driven beaters my entire life. When I was in High School, I drove a rusted and wrinkled '69 Buick Skylark. I watched as my buddies flipped burgers after school to make car payments while my ride was completely paid for and my after school job put money in the bank. Currently, I have two rides, a '93 Ford Taurus and a '95 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Any time I feel a longing to drive something newer, I pull onto the new car lot, hop out, get a good dose of sticker shock and suddenly, as if by magic, my rides look great.

LOVE the Olds Cutlass! I'm always on the hunt for a 1986-1991 clean low mileage Olds Delta 88 or 98 Regency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back