Kidney loop oil filter

Has anyone ever made a kidney loop oil filter for a passenger car? Basically a stand alone oil filter with electric pump that can clean the oil in a car without needing to drain it or run the engine. I would love to have a centrifugal oil filter to run on my cars to keep them clean.

Hook up a bypass filter like big rigs run. Very slow flow to deep clean the oil. I would use a 1/8" line from a oil pressure port with a return line to a easy access back to oil pan

I’ve had the same thought. I work in the paper industry which uses secondary high efficiency filtration in a lot of our equipment.

I used a parts cleaner from Harbor Freight to "flush" an aircraft piston engine. Worked OK, but the parts cleaner pump was a bit low on pressure to move the solvent back up top. Took a bit of fiddling to get that contraption to work. I used Jet-A as the solvent. Once it came out clean, I manually poured through some 100LL Avgas, blew it out with compressed air, and put in fresh oil.

I'd guess your idea could work with a stand alone pump and filter assy, and a oil pan fitting of some sort. Simply let the rig's discharge dump into the oil filler. And, with some care, you could find a sub micronic filter to remove soot.

However, from a practical point of view, some raw fuel, and considerable evaporated fuel byproducts will remain in the oil, diluting the oil with "non oil" contaminates. This is why the oil change is so important. Also a contributing factor to the many timing/balancer chain failures we see today.

A centrifuge will not remove any contaminates that have the same or lower specific gravity as the oil itself. Carbon soot and fuel related contaminates are among those contaminates the centrifuge won't touch.

I have a centrifugal filter designed for fuel that pulls 30,000 "G's" to remove contaminates. I've run my diluted waste motor oil through it, in an attempt at making the waste oil a bit cleaner, as an additive for the diesel fuel for my Lister generators. Total failure. It will not remove soot. Interestingly, after cycling the waste motor oil through it for an afternoon, there was exactly zero contaminates on the centrifuge wall.

e5231a1c3c8d5681b58d42e747fe8b14.jpg

It will not remove soot.
Isn't this an example of a colloid?

There are textbook pictures of beakers of water with carbon mixed in setting in a deep -ostensibly vibration free- vault in the British Academy of Sciences and so far, not even a gradient of concentration (caused by settling) can be detected.

Ok so if not a centrifugal oil filter. What about a standard bypass oil filter on a stand that runs off 110v. A few of my cars are small sedans that do not have the room for a dedicated bypass system like big trucks have. However it would still be nice to hook them up to a filter cart a few times a year to keep the oil minty. A benefit is that one bypass cart can then service all my vehicles rather than just one. I just am unsure of what type of pump to use that is economical. ie, not 500$

I have a centrifugal filter designed for fuel that pulls 30,000 "G's" to remove contaminates. I've run my diluted waste motor oil through it, in an attempt at making the waste oil a bit cleaner, as an additive for the diesel fuel for my Lister generators. Total failure. It will not remove soot. Interestingly, after cycling the waste motor oil through it for an afternoon, there was exactly zero contaminates on the centrifuge wall.

e5231a1c3c8d5681b58d42e747fe8b14.jpg
Is there anything that can be added to dissolve/break down the soot and make the end result clean enough for your purpose? Methanol maybe?

I added one to my newly rebuilt gx390 pressure washer.
Break in metal was settling in the hash marks on the dipstick. After the filter and pump ran the oil it was as clean as a watch. Saved at least $60 worth of oil changes, 2 break in changes and end of the year change.

Turbos usually have an oil reducing AN type fitting you can use. many different sizes used to restrict the flow.

I dont plan on never changing the oil. this is just something i can use inbetween oil changes

Back