Kia K5 GT oil suggestions

Boy did I fall down a rabbit hole while trying to find an oil filter for my wife’s K5 GT! I’ll try and help get you to your 20 page goal.

More information in this one thread than there is on the entire K5 GT Facebook group. Lol

I finally found a good deal on the exact car my wife wanted and put a deposit on it yesterday, so I started searching for oil/filters since turbo vehicles are little more demanding. Searched for a month solid and every single Kia dealer with a K5 GT was price gouging. Still under 39k and it was literally the only one I could find that was black with brown interior and had the GT1 package.

After two hours of going through this thread I don’t think I saw anything posted about an aftermarket alternative to the Kia oil filter kit so I will go ahead and order a couple of those unless someone has found something recently.

My opinion on oil has been influenced by project farm on YouTube since his simple but consistent testing showed that Pennzoil UP is a great oil for the money. I will try to find the UP 0w-40 Euro, but the Castrol 0w-40 that was posted earlier in this thread is only $21 for a five quart jug! That seems almost like a mistake.

I’m Jeremy, by the way. Been retired from the Army for a couple years and work for range operations on Fort Leonard Wood, MO. I’m a kayak angler that has enjoyed working on cars ever since my dad let me help change the transmission in his old Volvo when I was about eight.

Attachments

• 7EA36DF2-3C8E-4458-991B-AE84C2249F46.jpeg
    7EA36DF2-3C8E-4458-991B-AE84C2249F46.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 13
1200 miles round trip, to pick up my wife’s K5 GT. She is happy with the eager nature of this turbo motor.

Just picked up supplies to do the first oil change. Ended up going with the $22 jug of Valvoline 5w-30 from the local big box store.

Also got a couple oil filters from the local dealer for $12.50 a piece. They are not currently on back order and should be easier to find now. When I called up there a month or two ago, they had one in stock and would not sell it, due to the back order situation.

Attachments

• 443AD8A5-EDD4-48D9-A2CE-1779AD07FD03.jpeg
    443AD8A5-EDD4-48D9-A2CE-1779AD07FD03.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 12
Still under 39k and it was literally the only one I could find that was black with brown interior and had the GT1 package.
As long as people are willing to pay stupidly high prices for grocery getters, dealers and car manufacturers will make bank. For $40K you can buy a nicely equiped Jeep GC 3.6L 4WD, and even thay one is overpriced. In 2013 we got a brand new Sonata Turbo for $22K and the dealer was begging us to buy it just so they can get rid of it. Man, have times changed!

My opinion on oil has been influenced by project farm on YouTube since his simple but consistent testing
No, that's just entertainment. As a longtime BITOG member put it, Project Farm's testing methodology for lubricants is like using rifles as hammers to gauge their accuracy for comparative purposes.

There is nothing worthwhile about the following video except the entertainment value for some:

As long as people are willing to pay stupidly high prices for grocery getters, dealers and car manufacturers will make bank. For $40K you can buy a nicely equiped Jeep GC 3.6L 4WD, and even thay one is overpriced. In 2013 we got a brand new Sonata Turbo for $22K and the dealer was begging us to buy it just so they can get rid of it. Man, have times changed!

No, that's just entertainment. As a longtime BITOG member put it, Project Farm's testing methodology for lubricants is like using rifles as hammers to gauge their accuracy for comparative purposes.

There is nothing worthwhile about the following video except the entertainment value for some:

I ended up just going with a recommendation from this thread for a less expensive SN+ synthetic. The knowledge in BITOG far exceeds anything that I would be able to comprehend, so I’ll keep poking around here to see if I can get a little more educated.

As far as H/K vehicles today compared to 10 years ago……the difference is astronomical. I was in a rental Optima around 2011 and there is no way that car could even be compared to my wife’s K5. Well, you could, but it would be apples and oranges for sure.

Ended up at 38k after finding a different dealer with a GT on the lot that was willing to negotiate their market adjustment. $1200 over MSRP, I’ll consider that a win in this market.

I’ll change the oil after I get off work and enjoy learning about a new vehicle that my wife and I should enjoy for road trips or even a fun rip through the Ozark hills once in a while. It’s much more fun and fuel efficient than my vehicle!

Attachments

• B3ECAD57-0BCE-4030-A822-DF465CB430A9.jpeg
    B3ECAD57-0BCE-4030-A822-DF465CB430A9.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 10
1200 miles round trip, to pick up my wife’s K5 GT. She is happy with the eager nature of this turbo motor.

Just picked up supplies to do the first oil change. Ended up going with the $22 jug of Valvoline 5w-30 from the local big box store.

Also got a couple oil filters from the local dealer for $12.50 a piece. They are not currently on back order and should be easier to find now. When I called up there a month or two ago, they had one in stock and would not sell it, due to the back order situation.
please post some reviews in the “vehicles” subforum here on your new kia k5 after you’ve driven it some, thanks!

Just bought a new Kia K5 GT. Lots of fun, best car I've ever owned.

2.5L turbo making 290HP. Manual says 0w-30 and synthetic oil only, SN+ or SP or GF-6. Manual also says 6k normal service and 3k severe service change intervals.

I'll be doing 3-4k changes I think, and I'm going to use M1 10w-30 HM unless the board can convince me otherwise. I'm in Florida and have absolutely no need for 0w or 5w. I feel this little turbo will benefit from oil that's a touch thicker.

let the opinions fly...
Going with any ACEA A5-21 rated oil may be?

I have the same 2.5T engine in my 2021 Hyundai Sonata N Line. The recommended oil is 0W-30 full synthetic. I did my first oil change at 1200 miles with Mobil1 AFE and the second change at 6000 miles same oil.
2021 Sonata N Line.jpg

Back