Kia K5 GT oil suggestions

Well, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is a "Euro Oil". All these Euro oils that carry Porsche, VW, and MB approvals are formulated for more demanding applications and more powerful engines than the 2.5T in your KIA K5 GT. So you shouldn't have any problems with it. If you can afford it, run premium fuel in it, it will help a lot with fuel dilution. The "magic" trick manufacturers use to get turbocharged engines to run on cheap gas is to run them rich when the computer detects low octane gasoline. By the way, those octane boosters in a bottle don't really work, so don't waste your money.

0W-20 has its uses in light passenger cars, but that's about it. I wouldn't use it in a pickup truck that I tow with, that's for sure, especially in a HEMI, lol.
I'm running 93 octane. I'd already learned about fuel dilution with turbos and 87 octane. If I could keep my foot out of it I'm sure I'd see better mileage too :)

I'm running 93 octane. I'd already learned about fuel dilution with turbos and 87 octane. If I could keep my foot out of it I'm sure I'd see better mileage too :)

Then you should be a happy camper with any Euro 0W-40. If you look closely at the specs, you'll see that most 0W-40 oils are actually stouter than 5W-40. That's why I prefer 0W-40. Maybe Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 would be the exception, and I'm sure that someone will chime in with another example, like one of the many Liqui Moly or Motul offerings. But we're talking about what we can buy at Walmart here 😁

So I changed the oil. Hit a problem. The filter that Kia sold me is NOT correct. The filter for the GT is taller and doesn’t have the little screw thing in it. So I have to go see my Kia dealer. Not a good start.

Old filter went back on out of necessity. I looked it over real good and didn’t see sparkles. So I dunno what to tell you as far as that goes. If anyone knows the correct filter part number I’m all ears

So I changed the oil. Hit a problem. The filter that Kia sold me is NOT correct. The filter for the GT is taller and doesn’t have the little screw thing in it. So I have to go see my Kia dealer. Not a good start.

Old filter went back on out of necessity. I looked it over real good and didn’t see sparkles. So I dunno what to tell you as far as that goes. If anyone knows the correct filter part number I’m all ears
Maybe they did a better job cleaning the engine up during manufacturing, that's a very good possibility given that's it's a Turbo that goes into high-end cars. Ours is a bargain-basement Sonata SE. I'm sorry you're having trouble with the filter, my first oil change wasn't that great either on this vehicle. The screw-up is on KIA, and I hope they compensate you in some way, at least give 3 or 4 free oil filters for having to go back and forth. I can only imagine how many they screw up at the dealership, given that it's a new vehicle model / new engine model.

This might brighten your day: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JGQLYP4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Clip the 20% off coupon and you get a 3-pack for $58. That's **** good oil, and it's made in Belgium, so you know it's real synthetic oil. It's what we use in the Santa Fe.

This might brighten your day: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JGQLYP4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Clip the 20% off coupon and you get a 3-pack for $58. That's **** good oil, and it's made in Belgium, so you know it's real synthetic oil. It's what we use in the Santa Fe.
I don't know what you mean by "real synthetic" this oil is about half and half PAO and hydrotreated crude, Mobil1 is mostly GTL with a little bit of PAO, they aren't almost entirely PAO like old school GC.

Current plan is to run the HM through it as the "flush", then the M1 0w-40 and see how the car likes that. I may try some of the Euro oils. It's all spitballing until that UOA comes back.
No need for that.
Just change the oil at 2K and replace it with the good oil of your choice and enjoy driving it for 5K.
You have an oil filter and a pickup screen - AND a long warranty

I cant believe we are at 9 pages on this thread.

How do the Ford ecoboost 2.3L live in the mustangs with Humdrum oil?

if you're hammering the vehicle into a severe service change you should go 1 grade higher than the recommended. If you said you drive it normally id just stick to a 30 grade but getting a turbo hotter makes an oil a bit thinner and then a bit of shearing comes into play after 1-2 thousand miles. I'd go for any 5w or 0w-40 oil with good specs like Valvoline 5w-40 euro. Quaker state just released a 5w-40 euro with very impressive specs at under $19 a jug. BMW ll-01 and such. Although i'd personally go 4-5k on those good oils if i had your car. if you want to stick to a 30 grade then i think Pennzoil platinum euro L would be a nice oil for it.

i feel that kia knows 0w-30 aint all that easy to get so they probably want you to just go buy it at the dealer. They appear to use total and if you search kia 0w-30 its sds pops up first thing and its not impressive.

Quaker state just released a 5w-40 euro with very impressive specs at under $19 a jug
Yep, saw that post about 5w-40 Euro and thought about this thread. That oil is API SP and carries Porsche A40 approval which is a good sign. If I had OP's car I'd definitely be looking at it.

Can you get it at Walmart yet? Lol.

Next year, if prices are a bit better, I'd like to get a Hyundai with the 2.5T, preferably a Santa Fe. Or a Sonata N Line. Either way, I will be running Castrol EDGE 0W-40 in it. It stands up better to fuel dilution than Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. I am running M1 FS 0W-40 in the RAM 1500 because it's a port-injected motor, so fuel dilution isn't really an issue. I'm doing now 7~8K OCIs now.

My main point is that the owner's manual was written by idiots. Look at other Hyundai/KIA owner manuals (Veloster N Line for example). Oils all the way down to API SL are allowed, with viscosities from 0W-30 up to 20W-50. Pennzoil has a habit of dropping products without notice. They just dropped PP Euro LX 0W-30 from their lineup, without notice. KIA's "genuine" 0W-30 ACEA C2 motor oil is API SN. If you put two and two together you'll conclude that idiots wrote the manual and that it doesn't make much sense. Just go with a 0W-40 from Walmart and you'll be fine. Do a 5K UOA to see how the oil is doing, and if you have any fuel dilution. Otherwise, you'll be running endlessly in circles beating yourself up. And no, I haven't seen QS Euro 5W-40 at Walmart. And just like Pennzoil, their lineup can be weird. Both Quaker State and Pennzoil make the bulk of their money from 0W-20, 5W-20, and 5W-30 motor oils. That's what you will find everywhere.

Last thing you want is an "unsafe" oil in a KIA :)
I have owned several KIAs and Hyundais, and that's a statement without merit. Never had any engine issues. We had a Sorento with the 3.8L that we ran whatever 5W-20 was on sale from 2006 until 2013. Never had a single issue with the motor. And that's just one example. Oil was never an issue for these KIA/Hyundai engines. Lack of maintenance/neglect was.

Yep, saw that post about 5w-40 Euro and thought about this thread. That oil is API SP and carries Porsche A40 approval which is a good sign. If I had OP's car I'd definitely be looking at it
i think it may have been me who made that post actually.
Actually, surprisingly, yes. I just checked and my local Walmart has 5 jugs available for pickup. $18.97.
Yeah I had 5 jugs available of the qs euro 5w-40 at my Walmart too, well not anymore I bought them all yesterday evening heh. Made a post about it a few days back. My two gmc's need a 40 grade and I typically buy enough jugs to get even 6 quart changes. I need to buy 1 more jug to get 5 complete 6 quart oil changes. Some say to buy as you go so the stock is freshest but I like to get it all at once.

Actually, surprisingly, yes. I just checked and my local Walmart has 5 jugs available for pickup. $18.97.

Holy Moly, it's in stock at my local Walmart (3 miles from my house) as well! Does anyone have a UOA/VOA on this Quaker State 5W-40? The specs look really good for the price. Thank you.

Back