Kia changed oil viscosity recommendations

Looks like I need to do some trial and error to see which oil suits my engines needs best. Motul has a 5w30 with SP rating. When the Stinger was brand new I used M1 and then M1EP. I noticed a lot of soot around the exhaust tips. All the soot kinda turned me off of M1 products. I switched to Total Quartz because that is what Kia recommends and the levels of soot was definitely reduced. Thanks for the advice. Stupid question, what are m/c oils?
m/c is shorthand for "motorcycle". Basically, I was always using oils specifically formulated for motorcycles, so that was a constant, and all were the same 10W-40 grade. I obviously didn't keep using Mobil 1 m/c oil.

Looks like I need to do some trial and error to see which oil suits my engines needs best. Motul has a 5w30 with SP rating. When the Stinger was brand new I used M1 and then M1EP. I noticed a lot of soot around the exhaust tips. All the soot kinda turned me off of M1 products. I switched to Total Quartz because that is what Kia recommends and the levels of soot was definitely reduced. Thanks for the advice. Stupid question, what are m/c oils?

It's direct injection, the soot is inevitable.

less than a qt burnt per 1000 mi? that's nothing to worry about. some manufacturers would even say that's normal.

my old Y2k Sonata (2.4l) from (bought in 2001 with 16k on the clock) pretty much always used a quart per 1k mi. IIRC the cap called for 5w30, the shop i took it to took it up to 10w30 because of the consumption, which he seemed to think was a known issue with those engines.
in 8.5 yrs, I put 100k mi on that engine, it ALWAYS used 1qt/1k mi. (almost all Valvoline, switched to Maxlife @75k mi)

You appear to have modified your vehicle and in doing so may have altered the oil requirements.

Vehicle manufacturers oil specifications and service bulletins for non-modified vehicles should not be ignored, however in your case I would tend to use a C3 5W30.

Bear in mind vehicle manufacturers have deals and arrangements with oil companies, and any brand of oil with the correct approvals can be used.

I used to use Peugeot recommended oil (Total) and changed to Mobil that has the Peugeot approvals and have found no difference between the two oils.

TOTAL QUARTZ INEO HTC 5W-30

Engine oil

KEY DATA

LIGHT VEHICLE RANGE

PETROL & DIESEL ENGINE LUBRICANT

SAE 5W-30

SYNTHETIC TECHNOLOGY

LOW SAPS

INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS

 ACEA C3

 API SN/CF

MANUFACTURER CERTIFICATIONS

 PSA PEUGEOT CITROËN: B71 2297

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30 has the following builder

approvals:

BMW Long-life 04

MB Approval 229.31

MB Approval 229.51

Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 504 00 / 507 00

Porsche C30

Chrysler MS11106

Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2290 B71 2297

There is no such thing as A3 or A5 and above. A5 doesn’t mean it is “better “ then A3, on contrary, protection wise, A3 is better choice.
This language can only be found in Hyundai/KIA manuals.
Also, 3.3TT should not have LSPI issues. But he is already using API SP oil, which is LSPI tested.
That Shell Helix 5W30 didn’t pass any LSPI test. SN Plus is not LSPI tested as far as I know. PPE he is using right now is repackaged Shell Helix 5W40 API SP.
I'm certain the plus designation for API SN was for LSPI mitigation. Basically reduced calcium and increased magnesium additives.

Unsure the extent the Stinger is vulnerable to LSPI, however it's Turbo/DI which are subject to LSPI, therefore best that precuations are taken.

Last edited:
I'm certain the plus designation for API SN was for LSPI mitigation. Basically reduced calcium and increased magnesium additives.

Unsure the extent the Stinger is vulnerable to LSPI, however it's Turbo/DI which are subject to LSPI, therefore best that precuations are taken.
Stinger has too big of displacement for LSPI. If they have an LSPI issue in that engine, sell the car.
As far as I know, the LSPI test is in API SP, but in the engine that does not have that issue (Ford Ecoboost 2.3).

As far as I know, the LSPI test is in API SP, but in the engine that does not have that issue (Ford Ecoboost 2.3).
Yes, API SN Plus was developed to combat LSPI.

1657267839444.jpg

Yeah that's what I remembered Zee....

SN+ was brought in for that and it lead to lower Calcium and no more sodium metallic additives in the oils meeting that standard. Plus addition of magnesium and in most oils a increase in molybdenum.

Lots of bleating parrots around here, but 5W-30 ACEA A3/B4 ISN'T 'fuel conserving'!

It certainly is compared to 20w50. The manual calls for both US and Euro 5w30. I’m guessing most will go with the US spec because it’s what they know.

If it’s anything like the Ford EB, it likely needs the 5w30 because with fuel dilution, it turns it into a 5w20 anyways.

Stinger has too big of displacement for LSPI. If they have an LSPI issue in that engine, sell the car.
Why would LSPI corelate with displacement?

It certainly is compared to 20w50. The manual calls for both US and Euro 5w30. I’m guessing most will go with the US spec because it’s what they know.

If it’s anything like the Ford EB, it likely needs the 5w30 because with fuel dilution, it turns it into a 5w20 anyways.
It is not calling for ILSAC. It specifically says A3.

SM or ACEA A3. To me that reads minimum HTHS 3.5. SM can be some dino 5W30.
But I get it is confusing. It is KIA after all. They managed to be even more sloppy than VW.
Yes, it’s very vague. I believe it was Hyundai that “required” a spec that was non existent. (Can’t remember the specifics.)

To add to the mess here is a page out of the 2021 Kia Stinger owners manual (European edition) I'm gonna try some Amsoil SS 5w50 It carries a API SP rating and HTHS 4.45 Hopefully this oil makes my tuned Stinger GT 3.3tt engine happy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708-154358_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220708-154358_Samsung Notes.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 41
Back