Kia changed oil viscosity recommendations

I own a 2019 Kia Stinger GT2 with the 3.3tt gdi engine. Kia originally gave a wide range of oil viscosity recommendations for my engine (5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 15w40 and 20w50) in June of 2018 they released a TSB narrowing the recommendations to only 5w30 and 10w30. Can anyone give a reason for this? The 2.0T engine can still use the heavier oils. Why remove them for the 3.3tt?
Screenshot_20220701-110937_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20220701-005312_Samsung Notes.jpg
Now I'm at 40k miles and starting to notice some oil consumption. Currently I'm using Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40. I'm thinking about stepping up to 15w40 or 20w50. Thoughts?

You have such low mileage (to me, 40K is brand new:D). I wonder what's causing your oils usage? How many miles have you always gone between oil changes?
4k-4.5k everytime, I do oil analysis and all reports have been great. Since I changed to high-flow cats the oil consumption picked up. From what I read this is fairly common.
I would ask the folks at HPL oil. I agree with aquariuscsm! Best of luck sir..
Apologize for my ignorance but what is HPL?

Does the stinger have a pcv change interval? I know Hyundais do at least in their 4 bangers.
I inspected mine and flushed it with some brake clean. It seems to be functioning properly because I have a oil catch can installed and I definitely find oil/blow by in the can

Pay ATTENTION what it says: ACEA A3.
That means HTHS 3.5cP or higher. Basically European oils. You can run Castrol Edge 5W30 A3 that was available in Wal Mart. You can run anything A3, Mobil1 0W40 etc.
But Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 is excellent choice. Running 15W40 or 20W50 is step back!

Yes, CAFE.
The EPA ruled that carmakers can only recommend the oil viscosity that was used for the fuel economy test.
Owner's manuals for other parts of the world still include the variety of viscosities vs climate.
Lots of bleating parrots around here, but 5W-30 ACEA A3/B4 ISN'T 'fuel conserving'!

I own a 2019 Kia Stinger GT2 with the 3.3tt gdi engine. Kia originally gave a wide range of oil viscosity recommendations for my engine (5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 15w40 and 20w50) in June of 2018 they released a TSB narrowing the recommendations to only 5w30 and 10w30. Can anyone give a reason for this? ...

IDK specifically, but your application takes 7.3 qts. which is no small oil capacity, and they might have oil-coolers that regulate oil temps and a 30W might be optimal...

Maybe try to email the engineers?

Just to be accurate, a UOA isn't going to show anything in regards to your question.
I'm not sure if UOA could provide any insight to oil consumption but my wear metals have always looked good. So the oil is doing its job in that respect. I wanting to know if more harm or good would happen if I moved up to a 5w50 in a attempt to reduce my oil consumption. Being that Kia originally said 20w50 was a acceptable viscosity to use.

I'm not sure if UOA could provide any insight to oil consumption but my wear metals have always looked good. So the oil is doing its job in that respect. I wanting to know if more harm or good would happen if I moved up to a 5w50 in a attempt to reduce my oil consumption. Being that Kia originally said 20w50 was a acceptable viscosity to use.
How much consumption?

IDK specifically, but your application takes 7.3 qts. which is no small oil capacity, and they might have oil-coolers that regulate oil temps and a 30W might be optimal...

Maybe try to email the engineers?
My stinger does have a oil cooler and that is a good point you made. I did email Kia service today. I'm waiting for a response. There has to be a reason that they eliminated recommending the heavier oils. And maintaining a specific oil temp operating range might be it.

Back