Key fobs both quit working on the grand caravan

Forgive the silly question, but how do you know the replacement batteries you put in the fobs are 100%?

I've seen some button batteries be junk right out of the package and off brands can be sketchy.

I hear you that you said both Fobs stopped working simultaneously, but that's not unusual.

Got a call from a family member a few weeks ago that all of a sudden both of her fobs stopped working on her 2015 Camry. It was the batteries in both, even though the spare fob sat unused in a drawer.

With any repair as this : Start with the basics / as JTK said, "check the batteries" - using a Multimeter.

Good luck / let us know what the problem was.

Last edited:
The batteries were tested as well as put in another fob for another vehicle and worked fine.
I tried new batteries even after testing them. So pretty much ruled that out.

I "think" that your TPM tire pressure monitor receiver is in the SKREEM module also. I wonder if dropping the tire pressure will help diagnose that your SKREEM is bad? But, if your van starts and continues to run, at least part of the SKREEM still functions.

Have you Googled "2006 Grand Caravan SKREEM" and studied all those threads?

Good Luck! Seems that you have done all the easy diagnostics. I hope you don't miss something simple. It looks like it is super easy to get to the SKREEM:

Last edited:
I "think" that your TPM tire pressure monitor receiver is in the SKREEM module also. I wonder if dropping the tire pressure will help diagnose that your SKREEM is bad?

Have you Googled "2006 Grand Caravan SKREEM" and studied all those threads?

Good Luck! Seems that you have done all the easy diagnostics. I hope you don't miss something simple.
This van doesn’t have tire pressure sensors.

My parents have the same type of van. The contacts in the fob come loose and short out. My parents van randomly opens the back door etc.

Parts stores have a tester you can check if a fob emits a signal. It may not be the signal the van needs but that is rare compared to it just becoming completely dead.

Since both quit working at the same time, it is more likely a problem with the receiver in the van. What people are getting at is that the same module would also receive the radio signals from the tire pressure sensors (if equipped), since they work on the same frequency.

The Immobilizer that checks that the owner's legit key is in the ignition before the engine can start is a different radio system entirely though it is also built into the head of the key.

Back