Key fobs both quit working on the grand caravan

Our 06 grand caravan has an issue where neither fob works . Happened all the sudden I did try different batteries to no avail and I tried unhooking the battery in the van with no luck. None of the fob buttons work on either one. Everything inside the van seems to work though. Any ideas? I am not fiberglass familiar with the system so it’s a learning process.

I checked YouTube. One guy fixed it by disconnecting both battery cables from the battery and touching them together for 10 seconds or more to reset the computer. I would give that a try first.

Did you touch the wires of the battery together or just disconnected the battery?

I checked YouTube. One guy fixed it by disconnecting both battery cables from the battery and touching them together for 10 seconds or more to reset the computer. I would give that a try first.

Did you touch the wires of the battery together or just disconnected the battery?
Tried that and all the fuses appear to be ok.

Does this vehicle have a TPMS? Could be a failure of the smart key remote entry system module.

Did you try to clean the surface of the circuit board on the fobs?
I inspected them and didn’t see anything I don’t think it’s the fobs since it happened to both simultaneously.

How about the battery? Is it in good shape and contacts clean? I would disconnect the battery longer and touch the negative and positive cables for 30 seconds to each other.

As Overkill stated any fuses possibly blown? Check the TIPM.

Have the car battery checked. I had similar issues with a 2013 KIA Optima. It was always the car battery. Lesson learned and no more Everstart MAX batteries, from Walmart.

The vehicles memory may have lost the data regarding the fobs. If that happened a relearn of each fob just like it was a new fob that has never been use for that vehicle may get them to work again.

Try running a learn of each key-fob just like each one is a new fob that was never before used with that vehicle.

If you can not find instructions on how to do that, look on sites that sell key-fobs for your vehicle.

Reactions: JC1
Here's the programming instructions from the '06 manual for Sentry Keys, if that is what he has:

Customer Key Programming
You can program new sentry keys to the system if you have two valid sentry keys by performing the following procedure:
1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.
2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch andturn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.
3. Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chimewill sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash.Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE STARTING YOUR VEHICLE 152
4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch andturn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.The new Sentry Key has been programmed.The KeylessEntry Transmitter will also be programmed during thisprocedure.Repeat this procedure to program up to a total of 8 keys.If you do not have a programmed sentry key, contact your dealer for details.NOTE:If a programmed key has been lost, see yourdealer to have all remaining keys erased from the sys-tems memory. The remaining keys must then be repro-grammed. This will prevent the lost key from startingyour vehicle. All vehicle keys must be taken to the dealerat the time of service to be reprogrammed.

Last edited:
Here's the programming instructions from the '06 manual for Sentry Keys, if that is what he has:

Customer Key Programming
You can program new sentry keys to the system if you have two valid sentry keys by performing the following procedure:
1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.
2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch andturn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.
3. Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chimewill sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash.Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE STARTING YOUR VEHICLE 152
4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch andturn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.The new Sentry Key has been programmed.The KeylessEntry Transmitter will also be programmed during thisprocedure.Repeat this procedure to program up to a total of 8 keys.If you do not have a programmed sentry key, contact your dealer for details.NOTE:If a programmed key has been lost, see yourdealer to have all remaining keys erased from the sys-tems memory. The remaining keys must then be repro-grammed. This will prevent the lost key from startingyour vehicle. All vehicle keys must be taken to the dealerat the time of service to be reprogrammed.
I did try this and it did everything it said it would do but the fobs still do not work. Both keys with the integrated fob will start the van but neither ones button functions are operational .

Well was able to check for codes none of the modules have any faults. The van recognizes it has two programmed keys. I have the ability to wipe the keys from the van but I need a pin to do so. Which I currently don’t have.
I did however reset the skreem module but that didn’t change anything. So no codes, good fob batteries but the fobs don’t work.
I was really hoping for a trouble code somewhere.

Maybe it's the Wireless Ignition Module. My 09 had a faulty one. I'm not sure the 4th gen vans have one though.

Jeepman or Levy are very knowledgeable about these vans over at chryslerminivan.ne*

Back