KEROSENE - 50 Gallons - Disposal Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Week my 84 year old Uncle calls and asks,
"do you want some kerosene ?"
I said NO, how much do you have, he says
"50 gallons, it's in a 55 gallon drum and seeping on the garage floor"

I went over with (10) 5 gallon buckets with lids / cost Uncle $50.
I siphoned all the kerosene into the buckets and cleaned up the mess.
There was alot of rust inside the drum causing the kerosene to be brown colored.

How to dispose of 50 gallons
1) Auto Zone …… NO, will not except
2) Safety Kleen …… NO, it would be very expensive to have them come out
3) County drop-off Program - up to 10 gallons, but no more drop-off dates for rest of the year
4) Local Company would charge .75 cent per pound / estimated cost $330

I wrote my Uncle a letter explaining his options (he can sit & think)
He may have to spend the $330 and I would pick up and drop off at the local Company.

Moral of the story:
If you have any supplies for Emergencies (no matter what they are) Rotate the Stock.
Not only do I have to dispose of it, it can't be used for anything (30 years old and brown colored).

For my Portable Generator, I rotate the gas and use it up in my vehicle / NO PROBLEM

Anybody have any (legal) suggestions for disposing of this stuff.
And I will add, kerosene is very smelly stuff.

An oldish diesel should burn it OK. You'd probably have to filter and/or settle the rust out, and add oil (preferably 2-stroke if that's available cheaply, maybe 5% but you'd have to research that) to it to give the fuel pump enough lubrication.

Or oil-fired heating. What was it for originally?

Go to the county with 4 pals, each of you with 10 gallons for recycling.

EDIT just noticed no more drop off for rest of year

Going for a coffee

Last edited:
Couldn't you just find someone looking to stock up for their winter boiler system? I know it's rust contaminated but wouldn't a filter take care of that?

That's what creeks are for! Just joking. Not sure where "One Step Beyond" is but if you have winter, there are folks who burn used oil etc in their furnace for their shop. Try running an add in your local trader. Someone would like to pick it up for free.

I'll take it off your hands for a small fee, and pour it directly into my heating oil tank. Anything that uses #2 fuel oil (diesel) will like the top 4 3/4 gallons of those buckets.
grin2.gif

Best bet is Craigs list or if you are on FaceBook list it there in the market place. Otherwise find someone with an older diesel, they can filter it through a coffee filter and run it.

If it's dyed there's no road tax on it, could get someone in a lot of trouble in a vehicle.

You could cut it 50/50 with "used oil" but it would take forever to get rid of.

I agree with the CL idea. If you get winter where you are you'll find someone who can use it in their home boiler.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
Not only do I have to dispose of it, it can't be used for anything (30 years old and brown colored).

Anybody have any (legal) suggestions for disposing of this stuff.
And I will add, kerosene is very smelly stuff.

Sure it can - Kerosene is just more refined Diesel... Both will last for a LONG time.

Filter it or let it settle out and use the top stuff as a first step.
Use it for starting fires - it's nowhere near as flammable as gasoline and works well.
Put a little in the gas for your lawnmower gasoline. It has some lubricating properties.
Use it to fill Tiki torches
Kerosene heater
Keep some as a parts wash/degreaser

If you were near me here in Central NY, I'd take it for my garage! I use it to clean parts, heat my garage.

My "parts washer" is currently pretty dirty, I need to replace the kerosene.

Not sure that kero is "more" refined diesel. Last I knew it lacked the lubricity of diesel. I wouldn't run it in any diesel engine that I cared about. AFAIK it's a cut of crude between diesel and gasoline, and not very good at being either.

I have been using some leftover dyed K2 as a degreaser. But 50 gallons would be way past any need of mine!

CL could work if you find a taker. But with the condition, it could mess up most anything it was put in, at least without a decent amount of filtration.

My first thought was slow dosing to a bonfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back