Kendall Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering with Kendall oil, I have heard that it is no longer the same oil that it was famous for. A take over or something has seen the formula change from the legendary ones it had and I heard that there was someone still making the classic Kendall oil. If this is the case, Is the new oil from Kendal that bad? and who is making the good Kendall oil now?

Kendall is pushed here as the top range USA Mineral oil, but it's very hard to find.

All comments and thoughts welcome.

[ May 03, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Francis ,
Go here:
BRAD PENN® LUBRICANTS

quote:

In 1997, American Refining Group, Inc. purchased the Kendall® / Amalie® refinery located in Bradford, PA, from Witco Corporation. As a result of the sale of the Kendall® and Amalie® brands to a third party, a new name was given to the products produced at the site-Brad Penn® Premium Pennsylvania Grade Lubricants.

Mark

I think I've asked about the differences between TropArtic, Union 76, Kendall and Conoco oils before. My assumption is that each is different, but not sure of that. I think that Conoco (especially the Ford 5w20) and Phillips both have good reputations. Can't say much either way about the other two. Conoco Phillips is the third largest domestic oil producer and eight largest corporation overall if I remember correctly.

[ May 03, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

csandste - very nice summary. Couldn't have summed up the current state of Kendall better myself!

Not a lot of UOA's to benchmark Phillips 66, 76, and Kendall Oils on the board, but their reputation is solid. If the Motorcraft (Conoco) oils are any indication, they are indeed good stuff.

WHOA - you're correct in aligning Kendall with ConocoPhillips, but WAY off when aligning them with Brad Penn. Maybe Brad Penn bought an old Kendall facility, but don't think that Kendall products are made by Brad Penn. Brad Penn lubricants are junk, verified by oil analysis.

These comments are mine, not those of my employer (Parman Lubricants Co.)

I think BradPenn is the old Kendall recipe made in the old Kendall plant. The new Kendall is something else entirely--TropArtic,76 or Conoco or a unique brand. Probably made in a much more modern plant than the BradPenn stuff.

Then again, maybe Kendall is to Conoco-Phillips like Wolf's Head is to Shell. Low end stuff kept around because the brand has some recognition. Don't know.

[ May 04, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: csandste ]

I have kendall semi-sythetic 5w20 in my van with approx. 3000 miles on it (Firestone tire shop put it in). I'm going to do a UOA on it in a few weeks. I'll be curious to see the results.

quote:

Originally posted by acovington:
Brad Penn lubricants are junk, verified by oil analysis.

This is patently ridiculous. The few UOAs and VOAs we've seen of this oil show that it's pretty good. And it's pretty obvious that American Refining got all the rights to the Kendall blends in their deal. The only thing that was sold to Phillips was the Kendall name. The current Brad Penn oils are nothing more than current versions of the old Kendall oil and if they were available where I live I'd certainly give them a try since I used Kendall for a quite a few years in the 70s and 80s.

I don't know the history of Brad Penn and their relationship to Kendall - but just because they received the rights to the old Kendall formulations doesn't mean they're using them! We've found Brad Penn being marketed in some areas near me at "too good to be true" prices, so we obtained several samples and sent them off for oil analysis. Junk, junk, junk. Almost no additive pack and rarely in spec.

quote:

I don't know the history of Brad Penn and their relationship to Kendall - but just because they received the rights to the old Kendall formulations doesn't mean they're using them! We've found Brad Penn being marketed in some areas near me at "too good to be true" prices, so we obtained several samples and sent them off for oil analysis. Junk, junk, junk. Almost no additive pack and rarely in spec.

rolleyes.gif

quote:

WHOA - you're correct in aligning Kendall with ConocoPhillips, but WAY off when aligning them with Brad Penn. Maybe Brad Penn bought an old Kendall facility, but don't think that Kendall products are made by Brad Penn. Brad Penn lubricants are junk, verified by oil analysis.

These comments are mine, not those of my employer (Parman Lubricants Co.)

Well , I'd like to welcome you to the forum and I see that at where you work there are at least two STLE CLS . parmanlub.com

I hope you stick around here and help answer some questions I have about a certain Shell passenger car engine oil .

[ May 05, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back