Kendall oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a longtime Kendall user, SAE 40 for jetboats and drag cars. I am aware that Conoco/Phillips recently bought Kendall and the multi grade formulas have evidently been changed, no longer green in color and with new labels to boot. Yesterday I bought some SAE 40, which now has a new label but is still the old green color, the other observation is that Kendall monogrades still come from Costa Mesa, Ca., while the multi's are now out of Houston, Tx. My question, is todays SAE 40 the same formula that they built their reputation on, or has it become a re-labeled garden variety Conoco/Phillips oil. I've been scoping out other alternatives such as Delo SAE 40, Chev Supreme and Pennz LL. I know there isn't much interest in monogrades in here, but any thoughts would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Can't answer your question, but I know that Kendall and Phillips post their oil spec sheets on the websites, and therefore you can compare the data to see if they're the same, while verfying the spec sheet publishing dates as well since there was a corporate acquisition involved. Don't know about Conoco.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
Can't answer your question, but I know that Kendall and Phillips post their oil spec sheets on the websites, and therefore you can compare the data to see if they're the same, while verfying the spec sheet publishing dates as well since there was a corporate acquisition involved. Don't know about Conoco.

Good idea, thanks.

It sounds like the Kendall is the same as you used before. I use Delo 30 in my boat. I might go to Supreme sae40 next summer. It is a little thinner than the Delo 40. I get great oil pressure with the 30. I should use sae 40 per my manual.

Today's oil can not be the same formulation as the past. API service categories change about every three years, and this requires signficant changes in the oil formulations.

What can remain the same is the oil companies' dedication to producing a superior product. Will ConocoPhillips actually put a superior product into Kendall bottles?...who knows?

I have seen that some Kendall data sheets are identical to 76 data sheets, another ConocoPhillips brand. Here in my little corner of the Northwest, if a commercial user is buying an oil based on low price, it's usually 76. That said, if I was looking for a 5W-40 gasoline engine oil, I'd happily take 76/Kendall--said to be one of the good ones.

Ken

[ November 07, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Interesting observation, Ken2. I just compared two spec sheets I have from Kendall (dated March 2002) and Union 76 (no date, but printed this summer), with each sheet covering about a half-dozen single and multiweights, and both sheets show numbers which are very similar, although not identical. Sounds like they're mostly, entirely the same...? It potentially could be the exact same line of oils, but tested by two different subsidiaries at two different labs...?

That is interesting, I have no doubt that it is still a good oil, but the question in my mind is weather or not it is worth the $1.99 price, obviously not if it's in fact the same as the cheaper Phillips 76 stuff. I've been Punk'd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back