Kendall Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kendall is just a ghost. (From a previous post)
"Kendall and Amalie use to be owned by WHITCO. They sold off and Amalie went on their own and are now based in Florida. Kendall was bought by SONOCO. SONOCO sold off the lubricants to TOSCO. TOSCO was bought by Phillips 66 and this whole thing is getting ready to be joined with CONOCO."

So, no telling who make the oil (probably OK), nor who make the filters (might be anybody, even the dreaded Fram!)

Ken

Conoco /Phillips owns Kendall now and I expect it will be the great oil it always was,in my opinion a equal to or a tad better than the Phillips oil. It uses a moly and seems truly up to date,,the filter will be a Champion or a Fram in all probabilty and both are good oil filters

Pat,my young Canadian friend,let me start with,"I wish I could type!
smile.gif
"

That guy who did the oil filter deal affected many for nothing imo.I bought my Ford P/U in 1975 and it never had anything but a PH8A on it,I used the inexpensive filter because I used free oil all it's life" Valvoline Race" . Everytime I changed the oil and I guarantee it was plenty of times the filter was full and made a huge mess" 300ci inline 6 mounted on the side of the block" .I sold the truck a few months ago with well over 200K on it,ran great,no cold start knock even after oil change.It is the brand of choice for me on Race motors"the HP series" but I will walk past one for a Supertech on a car with the filter mounted on the side of the block.

My 383 and other Small and Big Block Chevy's gets the Wix" Napa gold" but have a large supply of the Pennzoil PZ3 filters that were on sale recently and I think they are a very good filter as well "Fram"

So I forget your original question but do I think Fram filters are the best? No. Do I think they are good? Yes.

A PZ3 has been on a boat motor"Lake racer not all out Race boat" for two seasons.But these Chevy engines like this mount on the bottom. On engines that the filter mounts on the side,maybe a problem in long term drain situations with a Fram,may not,I don't know .
Edit:
I just went to the shop and grabbed a Super tech ST30 a Purolator L20049 and a PZ3. Each one is entirely a different design,I took an awl to the PZ3 and sure enough,cardboard or paper of some kind unlike a Supertech for a Cavalier ST3980 that uses a formica type material as does the Super Tech that fits Miatas and Kias. On those type engines I would not hesitate running a Fram for 3 months or 3-4 K,,more than that I would choose another filter. That ST 3980 just went 6 months and 6200 miles or so on the Daughters Cavalier,it was full of oil when removed.Spun a new one right back on it
I quess the leading sellers of oil filters are comfortable in the design and use of this type drain back element,I prefer the Supertech style for a tranverse mounted motor that the filter sets on he side of the block but again,not a bit afraid of a Fram for 3 months or so although it will not be done when standing right next to a Supertech or other filter
If there were more hours in a day,I would call Fram and ask why hey have not upgraded to something like the Supertech uses.

[ September 12, 2002, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

If you change your oil every 3000 miles you don't need a filter and if you could cap it off I would bet the engine life would be the same changing every 3000 miles.

I believe what Spector said summed it up best. I hear a lot of guys say they went 200k using Fram, but then they also say they went for 3k oil changes. So that oil filter could've failed halfway through the interval and the engine would still make 200k since the oil was changed so often.

For me, I want to extend my intervals, plus I figure why take a chance on Fram with it's shoddy materials, when for the same money I know that Purolator filters are built much better? Or even AC Delco for that matter. I just don't trust those cardboard endcaps. So why take the chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back