Kendall oil differences? Liquid Titanium to LiquiTek

I've been using the Kendall GT-1 Max Full Synthetic w/Liquid Titanium 5W-20 in my 2013 Ford F-150 for the last (4) years and love how it's worked, especially how it's quieted the engine down. I noticed Kendall no longer has the GT-1 with Liquid Titanium, but it's now LiquiTek. In the spec sheet on their webpage, they no longer show Titanium as an additive with the new GF-6 LiquiTek oils. Is it safe to assume Titanium is no longer in there anymore or am I missing something? I know Phillips66 makes the Kendall and Motorcraft oils, which were essentially the same, just with the Kendall having the added Titanium additive. Is the new LiquiTek essentially the MC Synthetic oil now? Thanks for the help. I'm not fluent with all the technical aspects of oils.

Other than Liquitek replacing Liquid Titanium and GT-1 Max being updated to meet GF-6, I'm not sure other than to say if it had titanium in it, I'm sure they would be advertising it. I still think it's one of the most underrated oils out there and while I have a healthy stash of GT-1Max with Liquid Titanium, I will not hesitate to use the Liquitek version in the future.

Ok. Here is a question for you Kendall fans.

Why does the Kendall logo show a hand with two fingers showing up like the victory sign?
No, it does not mean victory

I'm old, so I remember this. Back in the 1940's and into the very early 1950's, OCI for cars was at 1000 mile intervals.
When Kendall brought out their new oil, they advertised it as the 2000 mile oil. Their radio and TV ads went like this.
"Kendall, the TWO, TWO, TWO Thousand mile oil" and their ads showed two fingers.

Now you know 😀😇😱

If they dump the Ti, I will turn on them faster than a riot in Portland!

Don't F' up Kendall, you drop Ti, then it's just Motorcraft oil knockoff. Ti makes this oil.

My understanding is they just changed the name of Liquid Titanium to LiquiTek.
1596309543276.png

Why does the Kendall logo show a hand with two fingers showing up like the victory sign?

I'm old, so I remember this. Back in the 1940's and into the very early 1950's, OCI for cars was at 1000 mile intervals.
When Kendall brought out their new oil, they advertised it as the 2000 mile oil. Their radio and TV ads went like this.
"Kendall, the TWO, TWO, TWO Thousand mile oil" and their ads showed two fingers.

Now you know 😀😇😱
Because they lost the other 3 fingers in an accident?
Does Conoco Phillips still make Kendall oil?

Now you know 😀😇😱
I call Kendall the oil for peace. But not worth it if not available commonly.

I kinda think Castrol has something to do with this - BP has very well paid lawyers and counsel on hand. Castrol is proud of fluid titanium.

I emailed the the question we all want to know just now. Probably won't hear from them until Monday or Tuesday. I will post the information on this thread when I get it.
Did you happen to get a response from Kendall? I'm curious what they have to say. I just bought a case of the GT-1 Max Full Synthetic with liquid titanium.

How is this oil different from Edge for example? Castrol also claims to have titanium, what’s so special about Kendall? I’m asking since it seems to be not widely available and quite expensive on Amazon

quite expensive on Amazon

I think that's just a function of the specific sellers on Amazon and there being little competition (few sellers) for the product on Amazon. Now, this is a bit moot as since noted above Kendall is no longer promoting its oils as having titanium and there is no longer a titanium field in the PDS for the new LiquiTek oils, but having looked at Kendall a lot recently (though for 20w-50, not these grades below), I don't think there's been a material change in pricing in going from Liquid Titanium to LiquiTek, so I will use the new LiquiTek prices as a proxy for the old Liquid Titanium prices.

Pricing wise LiquiTek generally seems to be about $4.70 per qt (including shipping), which seems to be only slightly higher than retail prices for Edge (per walmart.com). Specific pricing differences may differ by product (syn, grade, etc.), but these below appear to be direct competitors:

kendallmotoroils.com (run by PSC which also sells Kendall, kendallmotoroils bundles shipping into higher unit prices, the PSC site has shipping separate, so lower unit prices, but the total cost is similar once shipping included)
Kendall GT-1 dexos1 Full Synthetic 5w-30, Gen2 | 12/32 Ounce Bottles: $56.30 (no shipping charge, shipping included) = $4.69 per qt

walmart.com
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quarts: $22.38 = $4.47 per qt

obviously with Kendall you need to buy more as part of getting the price.

As has been noted, Kendall appears to target selling bulk oil to shops or large customers, etc. So I don't think they intend to sell to individual retail customers (especially with sister products like MC filling that space), so they don't intend to answer the question of why someone would choose Kendall over a comparable retail product, and I don't think there is a reason for most people to go through the trouble of getting Kendall vs Edge or another comparable oil

However, I am attracted to Kendall's GT-1 Competition Motor Oil with LiquiTek 20W-50 b/c it's the only _conventional_ 20w50 API SP oil I know of that has higher Zinc (0.120) and Phosphorus (0.109). Valvoline VR1, which has a bit more of each, which I have no doubt is suitable for street driving, doesn't carry an API rating. Also, depending on where you can source it, Kendall's GT-1 Competition 20w50 is at least ~30% cheaper than VR1's best retail price in my area (no menards where I am) of about $6 per qt (5 qt jug), and you if can get Kendall via local pick up at a distributor, it may be only $3.50 per qt (haven't had a chance to contact my distributor yet)

Last edited:
I think that's just a function of the specific sellers on Amazon and there being little competition (few sellers) for the product on Amazon. Now, this is a bit moot as since noted above Kendall is no longer promoting its oils as having titanium and there is no longer a titanium field in the PDS for the new LiquiTek oils, but having looked at Kendall a lot recently (though for 20w-50, not these grades below), I don't think there's been a material change in pricing in going from Liquid Titanium to LiquiTek, so I will use the new LiquiTek prices as a proxy for the old Liquid Titanium prices.

Pricing wise LiquiTek generally seems to be about $4.70 per qt (including shipping), which seems to be only slightly higher than retail prices for Edge (per walmart.com). Specific pricing differences may differ by product (syn, grade, etc.), but these below appear to be direct competitors:

kendallmotoroils.com (run by PSC which also sells Kendall, kendallmotoroils bundles shipping into higher unit prices, the PSC site has shipping separate, so lower unit prices, but the total cost is similar once shipping included)
Kendall GT-1 dexos1 Full Synthetic 5w-30, Gen2 | 12/32 Ounce Bottles: $56.30 (no shipping charge, shipping included) = $4.69 per qt

walmart.com
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quarts: $22.38 = $4.47 per qt

obviously with Kendall you need to buy more as part of getting the price.

As has been noted, Kendall appears to target selling bulk oil to shops or large customers, etc. So I don't think they intend to sell to individual retail customers (especially with sister products like MC filling that space), so they don't intend to answer the question of why someone would choose Kendall over a comparable retail product, and I don't think there is a reason for most people to go through the trouble of getting Kendall vs Edge or another comparable oil

However, I am attracted to Kendall's GT-1 Competition Motor Oil with LiquiTek 20W-50 b/c it's the only _conventional_ 20w50 API SP oil I know of that has higher Zinc (0.120) and Phosphorus (0.109). Valvoline VR1, which has a bit more of each, which I have no doubt is suitable for street driving, doesn't carry an API rating. Also, depending on where you can source it, Kendall's GT-1 Competition 20w50 is at least ~30% cheaper than VR1's best retail price in my area (no menards where I am) of about $6 per qt (5 qt jug), and you if can get Kendall via local pick up at a distributor, it may be only $3.50 per qt (haven't had a chance to contact my distributor yet)
Thx, this makes sense now. I’ve been thinking mostly about 5w20/30 oils, for your application it looks to be reasonable

The reason I switched to Kendall is due to a friend's recommendation. He owns a muscle car restoration and hot rod shop and had an open house shortly after they relocated to their new location. He uses Brad Penn oils in the freshly built engines and also carries Kendall oils. I inquired about using the Brad Penn in my 2013 F-150 with the 5.0 Coyote engine. He suggested I try the Kendall GT-1 Max Full Synthetic, which he runs in his and his wife's cars, as well as the shop's delivery van. Next oil change I put the Kendall in. Those familiar with the Coyote engine know about the "ticking" noise. It's common with the engine. Well, after switching to the Kendall, that ticking noise is basically non-existent. The engine is so quiet that sometimes I can't tell it's running until I get about 20 feet away. I ran that first batch of oil for 7500 miles and sent a sample into Blackstone. They stated that the oil still had a lot of life left in it and suggested I try going to 10,000 given my driving style, which is 50/50 city/highway. That was around the 40k mile mark and I'm now approaching 90k. Still using the Kendall and can't be happier with it.

Now you know 😀😇😱
1598264260090.png

I use Kendall Super D-XA 15W-40 HDEO and it does made my engine quiet and calm, can anyone suggest any brand that give the same effect as Kendall did?

Back