Keeping cool

Making a drive from Southern California to Phoenix this weekend temperatures will be around 115°. Driving my 2018 Subaru Forrester. I changed out the 0W 20 oil for 5W-30. Any other tips on keeping the engine cool? Any recommended additives?

The 5 million people that live there and drive there on a daily basis cant be wrong with following the owners manual. I-10 out of Blythe has a long climb which can stress your cooling system. Its about 10 miles long and 75MPH speed limit. Confirm your fans are working and top off coolant.

I think these guys would stop frequently, let their ride cool off in the shade and allow plenty of water.

1689194985507.jpg

Wikipedia

To be honest I think people way over think this a properly running vehicle will be just fine in any situations. You won't see the locals wringing their hands over 110F temperatures and their vehicles.
Exactly. It’s not the outside air temperature that matters, it’s the oil temperature. On many new cars, an oil cooler is built in.

So, there is no direct correlation between outside air temp and oil temp.

My Gen Coupe has a front mounted oil return channel that drains a lot of oil off the cams down a S shaped curved channel on the inside of the aluminum timing cover. The only oil cooling it has. In the winter I use to cover it as much as I could with that reflective bubble wrap glued on, cut out around the belt pulleys. Have a hard time keeping the oil temp up in winter with it. Only gets to 160-170F or so in 0F or below.

I bet my Accent is worse. It has an iron block and takes forever to heat up. Finally put in a 195F tstat. Makes me nervous in the summer though when it will bounce off 204F in traffic and hot temps.

look up purple ice under Royal Purple web site,i never tried it ,,sounds like it may help,along with checking your cooling system belts,water pump out put ,thermostat etc

I monitor coolant and oil temps in my 2018 Forester 2.5i 6mt and I can reassure you the coolant temperatures are well controlled even with outside temps above 100. The oil temps climb a bit but since coolant is well controlled I'm not concerned. I drove in 110 degree ambient in a climb from 3600-6500 feet and coolant never went higher than the fans regulate when stopped. The oil hit 250+. This engine does run warmer oil temps when the ambient temp is hotter.

Exactly. It’s not the outside air temperature that matters, it’s the oil temperature. On many new cars, an oil cooler is built in.

So, there is no direct correlation between outside air temp and oil temp.
My data don't support that. Oil temps in my VW absolutely change based on ambient.

Thread here:

Post in thread 'Oil temps w/r to ambient temps - plotted for my VW Golf Sportwagen' https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...for-my-vw-golf-sportwagen.339931/post-5921585

Capture.JPG

Back