Keep or change filter-new car, changing out break-in oil?

On a brand new engine, I'd surely change the filter. That first change gets a lot of
machining and assembly stuff out of your engine.
Some folks do 'every other oil change' filter changes with a high end filter. Normally not a
problem.
Not sure if auto manufactures use 'break-in oil' these days. Machining is much better and parts are
washed pretty well before they hit the assembly line.

My 2¢

I think that most manufacturers do use a break in oil for the factory fill. Blackstone report on my 2013 Honda showed 683 ppm of moly with the factory fill. I still like to change sooner than the maintenance minder says though. I try to stick with or close to the severe service intervals.

On a brand new engine, I'd surely change the filter. That first change gets a lot of
machining and assembly stuff out of your engine.

Not sure if auto manufactures use 'break-in oil' these days. Machining is much better and parts are
washed pretty well before they hit the assembly line.

As you said, even though machining is much refined compared to previous days there's still residues in any new engine and transmission. That's why the very first oil change is by far the most important one. And why it's better done early.

I’d take a little different approach and make sure I could get the filter off first and then change the oil. My ex’s 17 CX5 the filter was cranked on there and if I hadn’t of drained the oil first, and cut the can with the channel locks, I would have taken to the dealership and told them to un-f thing.

I’d do the first OCI at 3K, unless Mazda uses the same high-moly oil Idemitsu bottles for them as service fill. Honda is another exception as well - leave the factory fill in.

I’ve done the first OCI at 1K on a brand new car. A “new” car on the dealer’s lot does see abuse between the railcar/ship and the minute you get the keys from the finance office - especially at an AWC lot and after the PDI as demo and detailers/porters drive the car.

There was typically no need anymore for a early oil change or for break-in of a new engine.
The owners manual will make no such reference to anything or suggest an early oil change.
There is no special oil in new engines anymore. Or at least no oil that is considered a break-in oil.

Is there any harm in changing the oil early? Not at all. Any tiny little metallic flakes that you're talking about or are worried about the filter should definitely filter those out.

I see no harm in changing the engine oil early I have done so on all of my new cars. Although I would not do it early at 600 mi. I would go at least 1500 to 3000 miles if you want to do an early change.

Change the oil and filter. It's a brand new vehicle he might be able to even talk to dealership then do throwing you a bone and giving you a courtesy oil change. After all you just gave them $30,000 worth of business

I have never bought a brand-new vehicle and I never plan to. But if I did, and I planned to keep it long-term, this is what I would do:
If Mazda uses a special break-in oil, run it for the recommended interval.
If no break-in oil, change oil and filter around 1500 miles, change both again at 3500 miles, then recommended service interval after that.

Back