Keep or change filter-new car, changing out break-in oil?

I usually changed out the factory fill at around 2000 miles (Mostly GM products).
Mazda dealer says leave it in for the full 5000 miles (turbo) so I did.
While no universal, most new engines are cleaned well before assembly. The 'sparkles' are
small enough to not be caught by the filter, aren't likely to cause problems down the road.

My 2¢

To see the sparkles bright sunlight is best. Inside light is a lot different. Old time opticians would place their inspection bench at a sunny window, preferably facing north. I always saw sparkles in the few new car oils I have changed.

most every one simply says "it is not needed"
I wasn't going to say "all" because someone will bring up the few cars that actually do specify early changes, such as modern Corvettes. Why a Corvette vs a Suburban ? No idea... Corvette engine plants use sloppier machinery ?

Only vehicle I've never seen "sparkles" in the oil is on a 2015 Ford Coyote. Even if the oil was stirred I couldn't see any sparkles. Every other vehicle I've done a first oil change on has sparkle swirls in the oil - the particles are actually suspended because they are so small.

I wasn't going to say "all" because someone will bring up the few cars that actually do specify early changes, such as modern Corvettes. Why a Corvette vs a Suburban ? No idea... Corvette engine plants use sloppier machinery ?
I would think, and this is conjecture on my part, that most people will beat on a corvette the day they buy it, but a Suburban will just get 'regular driving'. I stated 'most' as well, because I know some Honda's say to leave the 'break in (factory fill) oil because it has extra additives and such.

No right or wrong answer on early change out other than extra money spent so to speak. Do what makes you feel good. In the end you need to be happy!
And don't "share" your experience else you'll get "you need to do it" and "you don't need to do that" opinions ! :ROFLMAO:

Enough owner's manuals have a paragraph added specifically addressing "break-in oil changes" and in the majority of cases telling owners NOT to do it. The majority of owners don't even read the manual or don't do early oil changes anyway, so how soon will they experience engine failures from their mistake ?
This is the first time I’ve ever heard of a manual specifying not to do an early change on break in oil.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of a manual specifying not to do an early change on break in oil.
Ford says to just run the factory oil until the OLM says to change it ... could be 10K miles.

I'd change both at 2k. When I had my 2019 mx-5 I waited until 3k and wish I had done it earlier. I did have some sparkles in the oil catch can.

Back