K&N silver miles?

How long would you guys run a K&N Performance silver filter? I have had it on our scion and was going to change the oil soon after 5k total miles. I was thinking about running it for another 5.

I have read on here and listened on YouTube and it sounds like this has a synthetic blend media similar to maybe fram tough guard or mobil 1. Also a silicone adbv. Not a ton of info on filtration or how many miles its good for. However, its used on many 4 cylinder Toyotas and Lexus, including ones that have 10k mile oci's.

Good to go for another OCI? I have a fram ultra waiting in the wing but I could wait until next Oil change for that.

K&N silver should be fine, I really like these filters they are made in china but made well from my experience. Also they don't have the e-core yet like the K&N gold.

How many miles can K&N® oil filters be used before replacement?​

Some vehicle manufacturers now recommend oil service intervals of 7,500-10,000+ miles. K&N® oil filters are designed to perform for the longer service intervals that most vehicle manufacturers now recommend.

You can run it for 2 if you want too, it should be fine. However, it is good practice to change the filter with every oil change.
Depends on what the filter is rated at, how many miles are on the filter and the condition of the engine. Honda and others have a 2x OCI filter schedule.

Meaning use that brand? I'll keep that in mind but I already have filters purchased.

I meant that Mann & Hummel make the filters. K&N does not make filters.

Mann & Hummel make Purolator, Wix and a whole bunch of other brands. So are K&N filters special? No.

Mann & Hummel make Purolator, Wix and a whole bunch of other brands. So are K&N filters special? No.
Ok, so run them for 1 or 2 oil changes?

Your posts remind me of a story or movie without a defined ending. The reader gets to choose the ending that they like or think fits (like the sopranos).

I don't think they are made by Purolator. They have a fram type steel core the new silvers, and the K&N gold have an e-core. The silver also uses a spring as well. It would be good to know who makes them though.

How long would you guys run a K&N Performance silver filter? I have had it on our scion and was going to change the oil soon after 5k total miles. I was thinking about running it for another 5.

Your signature says the 2009 Scion runs the Fram Ultra. And how many miles (OCIs) have you been running the Ultra?

Your signature says the 2009 Scion runs the Fram Ultra. And how many miles (OCIs) have you been running the Ultra?
Good eye. I updated my signature because I was planning on putting on the ultra very soon. But then I figured maybe I could run the K&N for another 5k. So that's the filter I have ready or I could just keep the k&n on there for now.

I wouldn't run a K&N oil filter.
Some driving styles bring out the crud loading that some Toyota engines produce. I would just change the oil/filter together ALWAYS.

What is a KN silver? white, black, or gopurepower?

The 2.4 has its issues. Hopefully by your year, all were addressed. My 2.4 had plenty of room for the 3600 sized filters. I also am not looking for the extra 1/10 MPG and use a 5w30 instead of the recommend 5w20's.

One of my 2.4's has 200k miles on synth 5w30(almost any brand) and various filters(mostly mid to high level options), always +1 3614 or +2 3600 oversized. I've seen plenty of VVT and chain/tensioner issues with textbook OE maintenance on the 2.4.

Ring coking, oil consumption... are the rewards from negligence. Take care of it and it'll run forever.

+1 oversized from this model:

+2 oversized filter:

So, if kn is your brand, you might get 2 oci's out of the bigger 2 filters.

PS-1003_Angle_1.jpg
HP-1003_Withbox_1.jpg

SILVER & GOLD Greasymechtech

Last edited:
Back