K&N Select Dry Flow Engine Air Filter?

So, quick question, while shopping in the auto section at WM, i notice they have these k&n "select" dry flow engine air filters. They are double the price of the fram ultra premium about $42 with tax - for the Sonata, but they are NOT oiled. I know not to touch the oiled ones with a 10ft pole, so i picked one up for the Sonata to try and am thinking i'll pick up another one for the Elantra.. But i cant find much info on them. The filter is extremely well built (i would go as far to say over built) you can not see through them like the old style oiled ones - even in direct sunlight, and comes in a high quality sealed box with a k&n decal, and a "STOP DO NOT REPLACE" sticker you put on your air box lid. The k&n select air filter also fits in the air box securely, and the lid locks down very snug, better then the fram i removed. Any one using these select air filters? I bought the one for the sonata because i like to tap it out/clean it every oil change, less waste, and hoping to save a few dollars over the long run, so as long as they filter and will not damage the engines. Plus maybe have 0.01% better throttle response/gas mileage/and power. I know k&n now owns aem, so is this just rebadged aem dry flow? Next time im in wm, i plan to pick one up for the Elantra unless bitog says otherwise, worst case i'll also return the sonata one that i already installed... What are your thoughts on this k&n select dry flow air filter? thanks!! :D :D

Info from the wm website:

K&N Select Air Filters have premium dry filter media with durable screen mesh and one-piece frame. These filters install easily and have a service interval up to 50,000 miles that are easy to clean and reuse. These filters come with a 10 year warranty.

• SAVES MONEY: K&N Select washable air filters will save you $200 over 10 years by eliminating the cost of traditional paper filters.
  • ENGINEERED POWER: Premium dry filter media produces up to 35% more airflow than disposable paper filters to increase power and acceleration.
  • HIGH CAPACITY: Up to 50,000 miles between cleanings. Less work, more play. No oiling needed.
  • WORLD CLASS PROTECTION: Pushing the limits of engine protection by protecting your engine from harmful contaminants
  • EASY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE: Designed to install easily into your factory air box. One of the quickest and most cost-effective upgrades to your vehicle for quick performance gains.
  • RACE TESTED: The Official Air Filter of NASCAR. Trusted on the racetrack—made for your vehicle.
  • ECO-FRIENDLY: A K&N Select air filter is washable and reusable. Using washable, reusable products reduces landfill waste.
  • PREMIUM QUALITY: Built to last a lifetime and backed by K&N 10-Year Limited Warranty.

Attachments

• k&n select.jpeg
    k&n select.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 220
So, quick question, while shopping in the auto section at WM, i notice they have these k&n "select" dry flow engine air filters. They are double the price of the fram ultra premium about $42 with tax - for the Sonata, but they are NOT oiled. I know not to touch the oiled ones with a 10ft pole, so i picked one up for the Sonata to try and am thinking i'll pick up another one for the Elantra.. But i cant find much info on them. The filter is extremely well built (i would go as far to say over built) you can not see through them like the old style oiled ones - even in direct sunlight, and comes in a high quality sealed box with a k&n decal, and a "STOP DO NOT REPLACE" sticker you put on your air box lid. The k&n select air filter also fits in the air box securely, and the lid locks down very snug, better then the fram i removed. Any one using these select air filters? I bought the one for the sonata because i like to tap it out/clean it every oil change, less waste, and hoping to save a few dollars over the long run, so as long as they filter and will not damage the engines. Plus maybe have 0.01% better throttle response/gas mileage/and power. I know k&n now owns aem, so is this just rebadged aem dry flow? Next time im in wm, i plan to pick one up for the Elantra unless bitog says otherwise, worst case i'll also return the sonata one that i already installed... What are your thoughts on this k&n select dry flow air filter? thanks!! :D :D

Info from the wm website:

K&N Select Air Filters have premium dry filter media with durable screen mesh and one-piece frame. These filters install easily and have a service interval up to 50,000 miles that are easy to clean and reuse. These filters come with a 10 year warranty.

• SAVES MONEY: K&N Select washable air filters will save you $200 over 10 years by eliminating the cost of traditional paper filters.
  • ENGINEERED POWER: Premium dry filter media produces up to 35% more airflow than disposable paper filters to increase power and acceleration.
  • HIGH CAPACITY: Up to 50,000 miles between cleanings. Less work, more play. No oiling needed.
  • WORLD CLASS PROTECTION: Pushing the limits of engine protection by protecting your engine from harmful contaminants
  • EASY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE: Designed to install easily into your factory air box. One of the quickest and most cost-effective upgrades to your vehicle for quick performance gains.
  • RACE TESTED: The Official Air Filter of NASCAR. Trusted on the racetrack—made for your vehicle.
  • ECO-FRIENDLY: A K&N Select air filter is washable and reusable. Using washable, reusable products reduces landfill waste.
  • PREMIUM QUALITY: Built to last a lifetime and backed by K&N 10-Year Limited Warranty.
There was a video floating online from K&N factory a few years ago. It basically showed AEM and K&N filters being made from the same stuff, same assembly line, with only difference being the logo and oil. So I think that the filter you found is in fact the AEM filter, with K&N logo.

There was a video floating online from K&N factory a few years ago. It basically showed AEM and K&N filters being made from the same stuff, same assembly line, with only difference being the logo and oil. So I think that the filter you found is in fact the AEM filter, with K&N logo.

Cool video, i had no idea they are so involved to make esp all the human interaction per filter lol. So i assume the dry flow type goes through the same steps just with a different filter media, and without oil. Thanks!.

AEM and K&N are the same aren't they now? I have a AEM dry flow filter. The first kind (before K&N) fell apart. But they honored the lifetime warranty and replaced with the newer style wire backed red pleated, still dry flow. It's still in great shape after 8 years. Probably cleaned it three times or so.

Here it is new.
aem-filter-installed.jpg

After two years.
aem-filter-on-car.jpg

aem-filter-tears.jpg

Original and replacement
aem-old-and-new-inside.jpg

aem-old-and-new.jpg

When I was into this some years back, the Dry Flow grey media had a very high efficiency (unlike the oiled cotton gauze). If they are putting that media into a wire mesh body, I'm interested! I got a few years before it's time to change my air (Fram) filters, however, so there is time to research and maybe see if any of my old sources are still around for insider info. I have restriction gauges on the long term stuff, so it would be interesting to see if the restriction changes with the new media. Anyway, since I am not a hot rodder, I'll trade a few CFM and tiny bit of WOT power for cleaner air.

When I was into this some years back, the Dry Flow grey media had a very high efficiency (unlike the oiled cotton gauze). If they are putting that media into a wire mesh body, I'm interested! I got a few years before it's time to change my air (Fram) filters, however, so there is time to research and maybe see if any of my old sources are still around for insider info. I have restriction gauges on the long term stuff, so it would be interesting to see if the restriction changes with the new media. Anyway, since I am not a hot rodder, I'll trade a few CFM and tiny bit of WOT power for cleaner air.
See if Vollant makes a kit for your rig if efficiency is your thing, they use the Donaldson PowerCore filters, which are unmatched. @Quattro Pete turned me onto them a few years back.

UPDATE!
I installed a AEM DryFlow Made in USA part number 28-20380 https://www.amazon.com/AEM-28-20380-DryFlow-Air-Filter/dp/B006OKXMV4 on the 2.0L Elantra since i had such good results with the Sonata.. I believe these are where its at, NO oil, high filtration, and reusable. For under $42 shipped to my door it will pay for its self in 1.5 changes plus less waste in the land fills. I will clean every 15-20K although AEM says good for 50K!. You CAN NOT see any sunlight through the filter media unlike the oiled K&N types!. Very happy with results of these filters, and believe they now filter just as good as OEM/fram/aftermarket regular filters. Also it comes with a cool sticker that add 8HP!. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2002.jpeg
    IMG_2002.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 85
I just checked the box and it is a wire mesh!

Attachments

• 5A12BEF4-DB9C-4E8D-AD55-624BB5C7909E.jpeg
    5A12BEF4-DB9C-4E8D-AD55-624BB5C7909E.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 88
Just did a super unscientific test to test airflow efficiency on this AEM drop in dry flow vs the new stp made in china air filter that I removed and the results are pretty much the same or within error of each other. With the stp filter on the 2nd run it revved like 190 rpms higher at redline so I think that’s why the maf reading also went up. This test was 0 to 58 ish with full throttle.
Run one with aem:
C6A1693F-5035-47E8-8C72-4B15BC5045C6.jpeg
Run 2 with normal stp filter
CC1409A4-F434-4879-810C-E221F5424D85.jpeg

Both also have the same 0.3lb/min at idle in park. I guess I could test at different rpm’s at idle say 2000, 3000, 4000 and see if the maf has the same readings?

Just did a super unscientific test to test airflow efficiency on this AEM drop in dry flow vs the new stp made in china air filter that I removed and the results are pretty much the same or within error of each other. With the stp filter on the 2nd run it revved like 190 rpms higher at redline so I think that’s why the maf reading also went up. This test was 0 to 58 ish with full throttle.
Run one with aem:
View attachment 72329Run 2 with normal stp filter
View attachment 72330

Both also have the same 0.3lb/min at idle in park. I guess I could test at different rpm’s at idle say 2000, 3000, 4000 and see if the maf has the same readings?

The only difference MIGHT be at WOT at 100% load, you won't pull in enough air to tax either filter just whizzing it up in neutral.

The only difference MIGHT be at WOT at 100% load, you won't pull in enough air to tax either filter just whizzing it up in neutral.
I agree with you, that’s what I’m also thinking that the only slight difference would be at wot high rpm’s under load otherwise they are similar if not identical in all other conditions….

I was due for a new air filter last oil change so I got one of the Walmart K&N Selects for my Pathfinder and it's working great so far.

The gasket around it is thicker than the OEM filter so the airbox lid doesn't sit flush like it used to but both snaps still lock in place and it's good and sealed.

No noticable performance difference but it's nice to have a filter I can clean out and keep using.

What’s so bad about swapping in a new cheap filter with time tested results? Quicker than cleaning out some magic filter.
It's boring and safe. Sometimes it's just for the fun of it. In this case, you don't have to keep buying filters. For my Mercedes, I'd break even in 40k miles and maybe never buy another filter.

It's boring and safe. Sometimes it's just for the fun of it. In this case, you don't have to keep buying filters. For my Mercedes, I'd break even in 40k miles and maybe never buy another filter.
I’ve always found them irritating to clean and after 5 or so cleanings they begin to deteriorate to the point I don’t feel comfortable using them. All my experience with them has been in motorcycle and off-road applications though. They probably hold up better in a car.

It's boring and safe. Sometimes it's just for the fun of it.
There is a hidden benefit to a site like this BITOG one. :) I (probably like others) came here with a specific question or interest that of course was oil related. What I see happening to me over time is a good thing. I come here different times of the day or night. Members are opening new posts or continuing discussions or I am even searching past topics under "history." That has been a benefit to me in several ways. I have stumbled upon topics or questions I either forgot about over time or could not get an acceptable answer to. I have gotten an answer or knowledgeable comments that explained or make sense from folks for each and every one. This speaks to the quality of folks on BITOG. There are so many good folks here who I can tell are just full of experience , knowledge and the willingness to share. I may be retired / disabled and unable to do much physical manual labor for myself anymore yet the thirst for learning and keeping up with things , especially automotive or mechanical is still there always.
Thanks to folks for sharing your knowledge so readily. The back & forth, the ribbing, the joking and pulling each others legs at times is an enjoyable side benefit to me. 👏 Its a great diversion & helps when you have read every book & magazine in the house and tire of watching the boob tube.

Back