K&N ?? PICS, Not Impresssed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said a few months ago how I got a K&N Filter that came free with a jug of Valvoline Syn that I used on Truck... However used the K&N for my Honda Accord V6 2002

Now I'm sure some of you have seen how I have cut open various oil filters and show pics.

Purolator, MANN , NIPPON , FRAM ULTRA , However I cut open many many more that I didn't post like Honda A02 no reason to post that here.. Also Bosch Premium w/ FILTECH TECH, Fram Extra Guard Napa Silver Napa Gold. Fram HIGH MILEAGE... Anyways I have cut open many.

Well this is the first K&N Filter I did and here is what I noticed

1st, It was very very easy to cut open, and I have used the same tool to cut open all named above oil filters and It didn't seem like thick metal. For instance the NAPA was like a TANK and took me a day or taking turns on cutting.
Now They might make the K&N that way to give the oil filter FLEX, So Im not sure. Also I remember when the filter was new it was very heavy.. I though well it must be Heavy DUTY. However after cutting it open 80% of the weight was in the base plate and you will see pics of that.

2nd The Oil filter cartridge inside was smaller then the NAPA Silver. I mean it was so small compared all the other oil filters I have cut open.

3rd, This filter didn't have but 4500 miles on it and you can see the pleats were actually starting to collapse.

4th The By Pass was at the bottom, I prefer it to be at the top but its okay, However for a 15$ oil filter you would think they would put it at the top similar to Motorcraft or NAPA. To tell you the truth it really felt like a PUROLATOR or a NAPA GOLD or NAPA SILVER.

5th. IMO a good reason to by this filter is if you have one of them cars that are very hard to get the oil filter OFF, then the built on NUT makes it very easy to get OFF.
However not the case for my car.

Here are the PIC and you tell me if you see what I see. You can clearly see the model number of the filter and I ever took a picture of the oil cartridge next to the FRAM TOUGH Guard BOX so it would give the it some scale. So you could see just how tiny this filter is.. Personally I just see nothing special about it. At least nothing to justify that huge cost.

Also you can see this is MADE IN USA K&Ns b/c they are now made in KOREA or someplace else.

ezpf79.jpg

2mxhdn8.jpg

Look at all that flex, with a Napa Silver I could never bend it that much.
but as i said perhaps they want it that way for a reason... ??

2iscabt.jpg

As I said the base plate was thick and was the heavy part.

14b0nph.jpg

Tiny ADBV that is Silicone. Not sure if size means anything.

ek2uc8.jpg

notice the filter collapse and only 4500 miles
and the size very small IMO and compared to others I cut open

ri4y1u.jpg

Judge the overall size of the filter cartridge compares the whole filter
can and base plate... Seems small ??

30mwjvd.jpg

Just to give it some scale, so you can see the filter cartridge compared the FRAM TOUGH GUARD BOX & you can see I have the Filter cartridge up higher so its not perfectly flat.

2aj2yo2.jpg

the By-pass at the bottom and that's Okay but would rather it be at the top.

2j43ssy.jpg

Just a pic of can cut open with no nothing inside.
However they do have many threads so when you screw on it might be on more secure then others plus the rounded seal.

So what do you think???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
What are the specs it meets,micron filtering ability and how much particulate can it hold.

The K&N is advertised at 20 Micron & K&N gives the efficiency for this model number as 98.9% @ 20 microns in the ISO 16889 multipass test.

K&N Premium Wrench-Off® Oil Filters
Originally developed for demanding auto race applications, our premium automotive oil filter is rapidly becoming a favorite among consumers for its durability and easy removal. We’ve changed oil filters and several of our product development technicians are sportsman class drag racers. They insisted we offer an oil filter that corrected the “headaches” they experienced over the years changing oil filters.

Our Oil Filters Have Nuts
We have all been there: Whether it’s remembering where that disappearing canister tool is; or having oil leak all over your garage and yourself; or finally giving up and pounding a screwdriver through the filter just to get if off. Most of our canister type automotive and marine oil filters come with a 1” nut welded to the top of the canister so they can be easily wrenched-off with a standard tool. Most of our canister type motorcycle and ATV oil filters come with a 17 mm nut.

Durable Construction for Extreme Conditions
To satisfy the demands of racers, our oil filter has many features over and above the requirements of most vehicles. We use thicker canister walls for extra strength and durability which reduces the risk of damage from loose rocks and debris. The durable construction will withstand higher oil pressures found only in racing environments without bursting. The drilled hole on the nut is for a safety wire attachment. Required for many types of racing, the safety wire prevents blown oil filters from falling on the track and representing a hazard to other race vehicles. This extra engineering offers peace of mind for consumers who want only the best.

Drilled safety wire holes for racing in canister oil filters
Most have sturdy 1" (automotive) or 17 mm (motorcycle) wrench nut, where applicable, makes oil filter removal quick and easy
Heavy-duty construction
Resin-impregnated filter media provides maximum filtering surface for contaminant removal
Anti-drainback valve (where applicable) eliminates dry starts, prevents oil from draining back into crankcase during engine shutdown
Internally lubricated gasket provides positive seal while allowing easy on and off of filter
Rolled threads provide extra protection against stripping
Traps 99% of harmful contaminants

High-Flow Rate
K&N oil filters have filtering media that allows for higher flow rates while providing outstanding filtration. High filter flow rates are important in racing vehicles where heavier grade oil is used and the oil is pumped much faster than in a standard vehicle. When the engine is circulating oil at high GPM rates, the high-flow oil filter helps reduce the loss of pressure through the filtering process.

Compatible with the Latest in Synthetic Engine Oils
Our oil filters are ideal for high-end synthetic motor oil. Synthetic motor oil is said to offer improved flow performance at cold temperatures while providing superior protection against thermal degradation.

How is that "squeeze test" even relevant? It's not exactly the type of stress that an oil filter has to deal with.

Also, why does it matter where it's made? Korea, China, Brazil, Egypt...all are capable of producing a quality filter. Manufacturers often cut corners when they send production there, it's not the plant itself cheating (usually).

Yea that is a small filter element, I think its same one as my moms honda van with 3.5l, always amazed at size.
I recently cut a Korean made k&n and I was totaly impressed with it imo.
The wavy pleats have no effect and could have been like that as new, although I wouldn't pay retail for the filter either, got mine for $30 with PP at AAP couple months back.

maybe they better made now then before, after all people don't have problems with Samsung, LG, Hyundai/Kia etc. (my Korean made optima surprised me by it's durability).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back