5w20-03.jpg

Bottom of the filter can:
5w20-02.jpg

Another shot, other side showing the carbon:
5w20-01.jpg

Carbon on my finger:
5w20-06.jpg

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The oil is toasted and too many debris in it. I wouldn't use xW20 in the Expedition if it is used for towing heavy loads.

I agree. This is its first (and only) run on 5w20. It was previously running M1 5w30.

It is now running M1 0w40.

That is preety bad for around 4200 miles roughly. Have you done any UOA on this vechile? Does it have cooling issues. In my Camry it often takes more then 4000 miles for my oil to even change colors!!! Does anyone know if Ford made any changes after your Dad's year to better handle the 5W20? If his oil cooler working? Any over heat lights? Stuck lock up converter? Did he add any cheap top off oil on the trip. My Mom bought a quart of oil at the gas station because it was cheap but it was an SA motor oil. It was about $2 a quart while all the other oils where $4 a quart. She wanted it for the riding lawn more. Obviously she did not know so I would not use it. If he used something like that while he was towing to top off with a few time it would ruin the oil and could create a nasty mess like this! A lot of older people have no idea how expensive Dino oil is getting and they go for the cheap stuff not even reading the label for it's rating and certifications! I added SM oil aditive to it to bring it up to spec. and I am allowing it to be used to top off lawn equipment. I use synthetic in everything though even lawn equipment. Personely their should be laws against being able to sell tings like SA motor oil at a gas station!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Remember the first time you used M1 in the 20 on your ride?

Exactly what I was thinking, which was why I posted the pics.......

Same stuff coming out.

The difference is, I KNOW the oil change history on this vehicle since new.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
That is preety bad for around 4200 miles roughly. Have you done any UOA on this vechile?

Oil will be sent out today or Monday most likely. I have a good sized sample of the 5w20.

Quote:
Does it have cooling issues.

No.

Quote:
In my Camry it often takes more then 4000 miles for my oil to even change colors!!!

This isn't a Camry, and the Camry doesn't weigh 6,000lbs
grin2.gif

Quote:
Does anyone know if Ford made any changes after your Dad's year to better handle the 5W20?

Supposedly, no.

Quote:
If his oil cooler working?

Seems to be working fine.

Quote:
Any over heat lights?

No.

Quote:
Stuck lock up converter?

No, the transmission functions like new, it is a 4R100.

Quote:
Did he add any cheap top off oil on the trip.

No, he would have had a bottle of M1 5w20 in the back, he always buys an extra litre "just in case". Though he has told me no oil was added on this OCI.

Different brands of oil turn black at different rates. Mobil usually turns black very quickly. Oil color does not always have much to do with the life remaining in the oil.

Tinting (still translucent) is probably additives changing color due to heat. Opaqueness doesn't mean much either. It makes you feel better if it's translucent for the entire OCI ..but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back