K&N, AEM, AFE, S&B, Spectre, or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i have been doing a ton of reading, lots of info available. Still plenty of controversy.

I have a 95 Mustang that i will be fabing a 4in intake pipe setup for. since i have an electric fan and cowl hood, under hood temps and "fan wash" are really not of concern.
It is a high 10/low 11 second car Naturally Aspirated, redline of 7k, maby 7500 if it keeps making power that high. it needs a decent amount of air.
I plan on a 7 to 9in conical with a 4in intake inlet.
I like the idea of the dry filters rather than the oiled.
Cleaning time/work is not of high concern.
The car probably wont hit 5k miles a year.
Mostly highway driving and drag racing.
Southern Louisiana
I was at the local parts store looking for 4in couplers (which they didnt have) and i looked at the spectre filters and since they were packaged, it made it hard to look through. the view angle i had didnt show sand size holes.
the whole reason i am digging deep into this is this: i bought one of those bbk cai and the filter didnt come with oil and i never thought twice about it. well sure enough it needs to be oil. i held it up to the light and i saw pin holes in it
crazy2.gif

Price isnt a big concern. Quality filtering and enough air flow is what im going after.

What are the Positives and Negatives of these brand filters:
K&N, AEM, AFE, S&B, Spectre, or Amsoil

On a side note:
spectre parts seem to be cheap made parts, thats in my opinion.
I have seen what aftermarket filters have done to turbo blades on a diesel. either from lack of maintenance or bad filtration or maby both.

Last edited:
The K&N flows lots of air, but isn't good at trapping dirt because it relies on oil and spongy material to grab the debris.

The Amsoil seems to be a great choice as per the other members on here... I haven't tried them myself because they don't list one for my vehicle, but they do make other fantastic products so I would imagine it to be a very good filter.

Getting one local would be nice or summit racing since i will be ordering other things.
A guy at work has the AEM filter on his lightning, he said he might change to a S&B since many other guys like them. As far as i know, none of them did testing, which makes their opinion worth what i paid for it; $0 lol

I'm sure having this thread here, you will get the answer from the experts.

I have only really used 'el cheapo filters in my S/B cars before and my current new vehicle is very hard to find anything other than an OEM filter.

Good Luck.
grin2.gif

We build our own Cold Air Intakes on the cars here. Much better fit and finish frankly. We stopped with the K$N filters and use Amsoil now exclusively. Our silicon numbers dropped like a rock but flow stayed equivalent of K&N. We get our CAI parts from here... http://www.turbofittings.com/?gclid=COGH1u6V05oCFQVfFQodUk0i3A
We wrapped the GTO (10:88 et @131mph street legal 10" class)CAI tube with heat shield....but here is a shop built CAI. Very nice fit/no leaks/excellent heat resistance and flow. Amsoil provides the excellent air filtration/flow.
GTOSTUFF002.jpg

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
We build our own Cold Air Intakes on the cars here. Much better fit and finish frankly. We stopped with the K$N filters and use Amsoil now exclusively. Our silicon numbers dropped like a rock but flow stayed equivalent of K&N. We get our CAI parts from here... http://www.turbofittings.com/?gclid=COGH1u6V05oCFQVfFQodUk0i3A
We wrapped the GTO (10:88 et @131mph street legal 10" class)CAI tube with heat shield....but here is a shop built CAI. Very nice fit/no leaks/excellent heat resistance and flow. Amsoil provides the excellent air filtration/flow.

That is very good to hear.

the AEM dryflow has the best flow, best filtration and best capacity out of the filters you listed.

The diesel pick-up torque me-up crowd would give high marks for AFE or AEM. I think S@B is strong also, but it is an oiler.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
the AEM dryflow has the best flow, best filtration and best capacity out of the filters you listed.

Really? Our UOA's did not reflect that. However I will say the numbers between the Amsoil and the AEM were minimum and therefore probably statistically insignificant. Now the numbers between Amsoil and K$N were quadruple.

Thats what i was thinking. I went to town and ordered the 4in intake parts from autozone (summit was more for the same stuff) and advance parts had the AEM in stock and it was only $8 or $9 more than summit so i bought it :)
no oiling for me :D
DSC00644.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

Last edited:
The dryflow filters are amazing. The only bad thing about them is they don't make enough drop-in replacements. You'll love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back