Just worked on drum brakes for the first time...

I first learned to work on them in highschool auto mechanics and hated them right off the bat. The sliding of aggravating, uncooperative springs onto the pegs/attachment points, then all the adjuster stuff coming loose, etc is just a pain in the ass. I don't know why people didn't figure out disc brakes first, they make so much more sense.

The first car credited with having disc brakes was the 1902 Lanchester (British).

Moving closer to modern times there were some fairly early postwar attempts. In the U.S., the 1949 Crosley came with 4-wheel disc brakes but the company went back to drums the next year because the discs (adapted directly from aircraft) seized up when hit with winter salt. The Imperial came with a type of disc brake in 1950, but it more resembled a clutch than a modern caliper-type disc. Studebaker offered front discs starting in 1963. In 1965 the Corvette came with 4-wheel disc brakes standard, and the Rambler Marlin had standard discs in the front. However the auto industry was heavily-invested in drum brake production so it came down to $$$ that kept drums in use for so long on most cars.

They’re simple but in addition to to the two pads, you have three springs, two of which are aiming at your eyeballs, an adjuster, pad retainers with springs that are also aiming at your eyeballs and a small metal rod. It’s OK if you work on them all the time but if it’s a once in 5 year thing, like someone else said, do one side and and refer to the other side if things get cross threaded. :oops:

Last edited:
First disc brakes I worked on was the front of a 1969 Galaxy 500 Ford . Figured out how to use a long Craftsman screw driver to spread the calipers .

I am not a fan of drum brakes. But a seasoned brake mechanic can rebuild them is a matter of minutes.
My older brother made it look so easy. Greg was good; one of the best.

Saabist mentioned the '65 to '82 Corvette 4 piston, 4 wheel disk brakes. Really good for the day, but you HAD to pressure bleed them.
And engine vacuum had to be sufficient for decent booster operation.
The Europeans were way ahead of us with disc brakes and radial tires.

I first learned to work on them in highschool auto mechanics and hated them right off the bat. The sliding of aggravating, uncooperative springs onto the pegs/attachment points, then all the adjuster stuff coming loose, etc is just a pain in the ass. I don't know why people didn't figure out disc brakes first, they make so much more sense.

They were still putting on drum brakes long after discs were around. It turns out to the bean counters, you save a little money putting in drum brakes instead of disc brakes.

Drum brakes are rather simple.
They made for some good parking brakes on the trucks a few years back. Used to launch a boat off a front hitch on my own steep and rugged ramp … and it was great to have strong hookup in the rear.

I thought drums were standard back before power brakes because of their lower requirement for hydraulic pressure, using the drums rotation to tighten the shoes once engaged? mostly normal pedal pressure with 4 drums could stop a full size car. When discs came out, larger master cylinder volumes were needed, and then you needed the brake booster to make it reasonable. Or so I thought. By the time I was driving, everything had front discs, but I learned maintenance on a 50s Chevy, and looked into those upgrades.

to the OP, good job working on them. It’s a good skill, and you’ll like having them in top shape.

m

Not just drum brakes but FRONT drum brakes with wheel bearings and grease seals. You da Man.

I was going to say! That adds to the complexity.
I’m going to upgrade the rear cylinders on my Ram soon, my first vehicle with drums...

but to see front drums and a beautiful car was a treat!

Drum brakes are rather simple.
"If" you know what your doing. The first drum brakes I did I thought I nailed it. Nope. Boss came over and said it's wrong. What???...................That's the day I learned the the primary shoe has bigger/longer shoe and goes on the back side of the backing plate.:cool:

1952 Chevy DeLuxe with a 1955 235 straight six, rebuilt in 1998. Has an Offenhauser intake manifold with dual carbs, and Fenton split exhaust manifolds with dual exhaust.
Now those mods to an inline six (I'm guessing an overhead valve... not flathead ?) - are very cool mods. Much much nicer than the single carb setup with rich inner cylinders and lean furthest-away cylinders ☺. Then again the carbs DO 'hafta be synch'd at interval.

I had a '70 Olds Cutlass with a decidedly under-braked arrangement: 9" frt drums. Yeah... not enough fade resistance, not enough braking power for the goldblock 350 4V engine's speed capability... but I'll say one thing: never did it suffer so-called rotor runout (which mostly is not rotor runout... but rather differential brake pad deposits on the rotor). One smooth, smooth, smooth brake system.

I don't mind drum brakes. They do last a long time and after replacing them once, they most likely will last the rest of the life of the vehicle.

I used to be able to work on the old school Bendix setup. Those are not too bad. The newer cars,toyota especially are miserable to work on.
Toyota drum brakes are easy. OTOH, Honda drum brakes.....that return spring is difficult and dangerous.

Back