drum brake advantages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that anyone could take seriously the idea that drums have some inherent advantage in ANY day-to-day use.

They don't. All they have is that they are cheaper to produce.

I've owned cars with 4-whl drums and they were NEVER predictable . . . the emergency when you need them is the only thing that counts. I don't care how much maintenance they receive or the qulity of the shoes, etc. Even a BUNTING ventilated set.

And on disc/drum combos, good luck when the rears start to seize . . and they will. Live, and in-real-time demonstration of "polar moment of inertia" when the chassis is overwhelmed.

Now add water. Or a panic stop. Or a downgrade. Or out-of-adjustment drums . . . .

I drove big trucks for a living, and the ONLY reason drums are still found on Class 8 rigs is that the NHTSA has long been the creature of the companies it supposedly regulates. They, in turn have no desire to change to discs DESPITE demonstrated superiority. It would affect their profit. Tough luck for your cousin and his kids when yet another big trucks brakes overheat (takes only moments) and they wind up under the tractor drive axles. Sort of like FORD and the Pinto . . cheaper to pay out claims than re-design the fuel tank and mount. The turnover, and the high rate of job fatality in the trucking industry is closely related to this long obsolete brake type. The Europeans long ago demonstrated their superiority. But, hey, this ain't college-educated, First World work conditions we're talking about here. I learned not to ever lock up the trailer brakes after coming to a stop for the night. Why? Because the overnight temp drop was enough to get them locked. And this was in normal conditions with a company known for an outstanding maintenance program. And a driver who regularly spent time in the home base shop learning from the head of that department.

Someone got a picture, or a video of the latest BOEING transport undergoing brake testing? I doubt an aircraft has had anything but discs for more than a half-century. Yet an airplane has to make only one long stop, and in the larger types has thrust reverse available.

You guys are debating the merits of cheap brakes. So will someone please state the case for a nation of 220-million vehicles needing cheap brakes? The ethical and moral ones? The long-term cost of excellent brakes ought to be obvious.

1964 Mustang 60-0 braking distance: 172 ft.
2005 Mustang, same: 125 ft.

Only about a 30% difference. Or, 3+ car lengths.

Go on all you want about tire type/size, suspension, etc. It's irrelevant. The same "car" for the "same" market niche. Nothing exotic about the 2005 brakes or size. Just like in 1964.

"Someone got a picture, or a video of the latest BOEING transport undergoing brake testing? I doubt an aircraft has had anything but discs for more than a half-century."

Street bikes seem like they pretty much moved to discs starting about 30 years ago. My 1976 RD400 had discs front and rear as I recall.

The rear drums on the cars, a 93 and 99 Taurus, seem prone to freezing up overnight when it gets cold out. We try to remember to not engage the parking brake.

wow, tansedan... Lots of great info!

As I said in the opening post, Ive only ever had vehicles with 4-wheel discs. Never had any issues, except with the rear calipers and parking brake shows on the rear discs of my 98 chevy, and the parking brake shoe actuator in my 91 BMW 318i. All have stopped and performed excellenty.

That said, I was thinking more along the lines of, say a honda civic or MPG maker car, where at most you'd be making one emergency stop, or driving in traffic and doing maybe 40-0 repeatedly (most stopping done by the front discs). I was really curious if being 'good enough' for someone going at reasonable speed to have the same stopping performance for once or twice, and, more importantly, if the suposed reduced drag of a drum was significant enough to improve MPG at all in real life (I dont know how to quantify brake drag).

Your info was excellent, thanks!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
The rear drums on the cars, a 93 and 99 Taurus, seem prone to freezing up overnight when it gets cold out. We try to remember to not engage the parking brake.

I've never had the rear drums freeze up on my '99 Taurus or '01 Windstar and I always use the parking brake.

Our disc brake 'drums' and all our older cars that had rear drums never did this...

Perhaps it is a materials issue? Ive heard of this before...

JMH

Well said, Tan Sedan! However, getting the unwashed masses to demand disc brakes (or anything) from car manufacturers would be an uphill and futile battle, especially when they won't even wear a seatbelt or check their tire pressure. There's nothing safer than a well-educated driver, but also nothing as thankless as pointing out the voters' apathy and ignorance.

Discs seem a good bit better when towing a trailer. The wife's Durango has them and you'd hardly know the trailer was back there. The Cavalier, on the other hand, is so lightweight I really don't think it makes much difference. I still prefer rear drums on regular passenger cars cause that's what I'm used to. Keep in mind that the front brakes do most of the stopping and your tires are your braking limitation anyway.

personally, one of the reasons i go for the v6 toyotas is that they have 4w disk. the I4 versions often have rear drums.

i hate working on drums. way too complex and way too fickle. and the dust cloud lasts for days.....

Disc brakes offer several advantages over drum brakes. Since the friction surface (rotor) is exposed, disc brakes dissipate heat more efficiently than drum brakes. There is also no problem with the brake's friction surface deflecting, as there is a pad pushing on each side of the rotor. A drum brake can deflect under extreme pressure, delivering less braking force and erratic stopping. Disc brakes do not retain water as do drum brakes. Disc brakes are also lighter in weight, easier to service, and brake more consistently than drum brakes.

Not one mention of "performance". This is just what my limited/brief research showed. I have had dicussions in the past about this on other boards and it was asserted, with authoratative confidence, that disks are not superior to drums in terms of performance. Their advantage is in terms of reliability and tolerance to insult (heat fade, etc.). The design in inherently less mechanically/hydaulically able to exert force.

just one source.

From that same article:

quote:

Front disc/rear drum systems offer better braking performance than four-wheel drum systems, and disc/disc performance surpasses that of disc/drum systems. When starting with an older vehicle that came from the factory with drum front brakes, you can often swap to more modern factory disc omponents. You can do the research and hit the junkyard and parts store to assemble all the OEM parts, or you can order a complete kit from an aftermarket supplier.

My 1980 Scirocco had discs in the front and drums in the rear. My 1998 Scirocco had discs all around. The difference in brake performance was most dramatic when driving in the mountains and during and after repeated hard braking at high speeds (from 120 mph-40 mph or so) on the Autobahn. There was a lot less brake fade with the 4-wheel disc brake system. I'm also sure the discs cooled much faster than the drums. Ice was on occasion an issue with drum brakes, mostly when the handbrake cable froze.

Gary, I believe this IS the definition of performance: (you may recognize it)

"Disc brakes offer several advantages over drum brakes. Since the friction surface (rotor) is exposed, disc brakes dissipate heat more efficiently than drum brakes. There is also no problem with the brake's friction surface deflecting, as there is a pad pushing on each side of the rotor. A drum brake can deflect under extreme pressure, delivering less braking force and erratic stopping. Disc brakes do not retain water as do drum brakes. Disc brakes are also lighter in weight, easier to service, and brake more consistently than drum brakes."

true... the main function of a brake system is to be a sink for the conversion of motion to heat. Most of that energy conversion is translated into a temperature rise of the rotor itself - the main reason why big brakes on a vehicle can make it stop better: the more mass of rotor, the more energy inthe form of heat that the rotor itself can hold, and then the better it will stop the vehicle.

A drum is the same as a disc in terms of function, just different geometry.

The fact that a disc can 'shed' heat better/faster, means that it can also absorb heat better/faster, as the more it can release per unit time, the more it can then absorb at the same time. But a rotor (or drum's) primary function is to be a sink of energy, and to hold same in its mass.

I have to believe that there is more pad area of a disc than a drum, and though a drum might be larger/heavier overall, the ability to convert/transfer the energy as fast and effectively as possible, is a main priority.

How much of a difference it makes for situations like I was curious about, its hard to say...

JMH

We've had ours freeze overnight when the temps drop a lot, after being in rain or snow & slush.

http://www.nad.usace.army.mil/cold_weather_driving_tips.htm

When parking in freezing weather, avoid using the parking brake. The brake linings could freeze to the brake drum and disk. If necessary, block tires with rocks or other heavy objects.

http://www.answers.com/topic/emergency-brake

Conversely, in cold climates, a parking brake which is applied when there is some amount of water in the cable housing or in the mechanism may freeze when left for several hours, particularly overnight when temperatures drop, immobilizing the car when it is desired to restart it. It is recommended for this reason that when conditions are such as to make this a possibility, the parking brake be only partially applied, as it is relatively easy to break free of the ice by pulling the lever or pressing the pedal further, then releasing the brake, whereas the return/release spring does not have enough strength to do so by itself and there is no way to aid it in the release direction.

Mechancial advantage is fairly meaningless (drum over disc). Hydraulics are constantly spec'd for this reason alone, to exert greater force with a similar input from the operator. The brake system is already hydraulic. Ask the FORD fanatics why old Henry One stayed with mechanical brakes for cars long past everyone else. (Hint, he didn't have to re-tool).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back