Just what exactly is a "flat-tappet cam" re:zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkC-
Believe what you want, I could care less if you want to put Wesson Oil in your Jeep. I however did my time twice working at Jeep dealerships, first go around in the early 90s the only Jeeps that had engine problems were equipped with GM V6s. Second go around was in 2006-2007, low and behold all was well then one day a jeep came in and needed a camshaft, then another, and another, and another.

We replaced engines in some, camshaft/followers is others. Some aftermarket warranty firms provided us with used engines to install. When I left the dealership to take the helm of a Deere parts department, we had a line of 4.0s and a couple 2.5s along one wall of the shop, all taken out in about an 8 or 9 month period.

The only factor in the equation that changed was the introduction of SM oil.

BTW, are you by chance at Ft. Lewis?

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

I specifically excluded special interest vehicles from the discussion, but you keep drifting back to muscle cars, mods, quarter mile times etc...

There wouldn't be so many "cheap" bolt on upgrades if the companies in question made better use of the displacement in the first place. If these cars came from the factory with better heads and valvetrains there wouldn't be the need for so much aftermarket stuff to improve them (or maybe they could do the same job with less displacement).

You're not going to get away with that one so easy. Most American large displacement engines are tuned so that they make excellent low end torque with ok hp. This fits the daily driver profile much better. With displacement you don't have to make it so peaky to make respectable hp numbers.

The hp/L argument is for ricers anyway. There's very little from the import side that can compete with domestics. You can attribute it to whatever you want but in the end all that matters is who crosses the line first. I mean, if it makes you feel better after getting spanked that you make more hp/L than the car that spanked you, by all means think that way.

I'm not biased, my car makes 170hp/L but I can assure you I have never used an excuse like that when I lose.

And tell me, what is wrong with having more displacement to get the job done when there is no fuel economy penalty? Bragging rights? So you can say you make more hp/L?

In terms of fuel economy, I've heard many a story from co-workers and friends who bought American brand econoboxes with "small" engines for fuel economy. They're gutless, lifeless, soul-less, and still have trouble making 30mpg. They put up with poor performance *AND* poor fuel economy - the worst of both worlds.

Let me guess, a Honda Civic is your idea of a car with a soul. I guess gutless depends on the definition but I lump 95% of 4 banger economy cars into the same gutless category. I don't care if it runs 16s or 19s, it's all the same to me. You're hearing stories second hand so you don't know how true they are or the conditions they occured in.

Why don't you try and be more specific on which cars in particular you're talking about. Are you worried that facts may get in your way of Domestic bashing?

You've done a good job of ignoring the performance AND economy of the LSx series of engines. You've ignored the hp/L my pushrod 6 banger makes. You've ignored the fact that the Termi Mustangs can push over 800hp on a stock shortblock.

My dislike of American cars goes beyond the engines, but isn't the point of the thread, and not an argument I feel I need to make or "win" on the Internet - everyone has their own "thing" or disposition based on decade of birth/fond memories and arguments are pointless.

Your bias is evident. Instead of saying there are good cars both import and domestic, you just hate domestics.[/quote]

I see you're assuming that I'm referring to Japanese imports in my comparison.

Well, enlighten me.

Originally Posted By: CJWink
MarkC-
Believe what you want, I could care less if you want to put Wesson Oil in your Jeep. I however did my time twice working at Jeep dealerships, first go around in the early 90s the only Jeeps that had engine problems were equipped with GM V6s. Second go around was in 2006-2007, low and behold all was well then one day a jeep came in and needed a camshaft, then another, and another, and another.

We replaced engines in some, camshaft/followers is others. Some aftermarket warranty firms provided us with used engines to install. When I left the dealership to take the helm of a Deere parts department, we had a line of 4.0s and a couple 2.5s along one wall of the shop, all taken out in about an 8 or 9 month period.

The only factor in the equation that changed was the introduction of SM oil.

BTW, are you by chance at Ft. Lewis?

Well if mine ever needs work or dies due to the oil, I'll let you know.
And no, I'm not at Ft. Lewis, though I have friends who are and have been.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Everyone please take a deep breath. . .

And don't forget, the topic is, "Just what exactly is a "flat-tappet cam" re:zinc".

It's a refreshing change from thin vs thick. I was expecting it to turn that way but so far so good.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Everyone please take a deep breath. . .

And don't forget, the topic is, "Just what exactly is a "flat-tappet cam" re:zinc".

It's a refreshing change from thin vs thick. I was expecting it to turn that way but so far so good.

Yeah. I was about to post that we need another zddp flat tappet thread. It was much more fun than our WWE slugfest with all the usual bad boyz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back