Just Sold My Boat

I've had 6 boats. One was purchased new (2000 SeaRay 27DA). Always did the proper maintenance and PM.
All were fun and reliable. SeaTow member for 20 years and have never used them.
Current vessel is a 17 Parker 21SE with a 150 Yami. Love this boat.
I enjoy being on the water.

I've had 6 boats. One was purchased new (2000 SeaRay 27DA). Always did the proper maintenance and PM.
All were fun and reliable. SeaTow member for 20 years and have never used them.
Current vessel is a 17 Parker 21SE with a 150 Yami. Love this boat.
I enjoy being on the water.

I have been boating most of my life, bought my first around 2004...owned 7 myself. PM all on my own, only stranded once when the water pump/fuel pump belt decided to tear apart on a BB Merc. I did have to wire in a new ignition switch at the dock once...

Had several boats from 1996 to 2020 … but used the last one a fraction of the early boats. I’m done.

I think you have to have lots of $$ and be able to have the marina do everything or be mechanically talented and enjoy working on your boat.

And if you have an I/O then you really need to learn to do most of your own work.

My pal bought a sick I/O 30 years ago. While mechanically inclined, he lacked the initiative and funds for parts / machine shop work.

Then his brother's barn shed roof collapsed on it. A buyer came for the boat / trailer package. My pal trusted the guy to go hook up and drive it all away. I had helped him get the trailer tires inflated and said barn was remote.

The buyer went to the clearing, rolled the boat off into the weeds and left with only the beautiful, galvanized trailer.

Like anything else there are boats that are a nightmare to own, and some that aren't bad. Anything with an inboard engine, and more features/larger size will be more expensive. Outboards aren't bad to work on yourself for the most part, and if you have a small bass boat and live near a lake it can be fun. Anything involving the ocean = $$$$$.

This thread needs a pic of what it is all about.....
(yes, the lines are in a very bad spot; a passenger moved them off the deck and they were neatly stowed again after I took this pic)
GW Wild Harbor e.jpg

Ahh.....the noise and fumes from outboard motors. Tesla should get into boating.
Have you been out with any current high HP outboards??? Those are 350hp each, 4 stroke, sound like sewing machines at idle and holding a normal conversation in the boat is reasonable until about 30kts or so. No exhaust smell. These aren't our grandfathers', or even fathers' outboards.....

There is reason why they are so popular. I will admit, I think o/b's are ugly, but they are practical.

Last edited:
I just ran into this thread and have to say I have owned boats most of my life. My time on the water catching walleyes with my son or my retired buddies is priceless. I dread the day when I no longer have the energy to drive the 130 miles to hook up to my boat and go fishing. I am lucky enough to have a retired friend who also keeps his boat in a separate storage unit next to mine. We take turns and he will drive his truck and boat one time and I will drive my truck and boat the next time and it works out great. I agree, they are very expensive to own.

Attachments

• MzC77cOZTfW6Zlyf1KCDIg.jpg
    MzC77cOZTfW6Zlyf1KCDIg.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 29
  • fOFNYdIDTBeLXjSuKi7MOQ.jpg
    fOFNYdIDTBeLXjSuKi7MOQ.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 29
Yes there are boats that are problematic. I’ve owned one. Did all the work myself. Learned quickly that you get what you pay for especially when it comes to boats. I’ve had some of the most relaxing fun on the water with family and fishing.

Attachments

• E9C9A9B6-7B87-4D84-9C9F-7480CCFC1D9F.jpeg
    E9C9A9B6-7B87-4D84-9C9F-7480CCFC1D9F.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 32
Have you been out with any current high HP outboards??? Those are 350hp each, 4 stroke, sound like sewing machines at idle and holding a normal conversation in the boat is reasonable until about 30kts or so. No exhaust smell. These aren't our grandfathers', or even fathers' outboards.....

There is reason why they are so popular. I will admit, I think o/b's are ugly, but they are practical.
i went out for a ride in a coast guard RIB with twin I think honda 125 or 150 HP motors and they were nice and quiet.

Hondas 4 strokes are quiet but all 4 strokes made today are amazing. You can’t go wrong with any manufacturer. I have Yamaha and have owned a Suzuki. Mercury has always been popular. Hondas are on the Tow Boat, Coast Guard, and Police boats on the coast where I fish. Beginning to see Tohutsu which look like Hondas repainted.

Hondas 4 strokes are quiet but all 4 strokes made today are amazing. You can’t go wrong with any manufacturer. I have Yamaha and have owned a Suzuki. Mercury has always been popular. Hondas are on the Tow Boat, Coast Guard, and Police boats on the coast where I fish. Beginning to see Tohutsu which look like Hondas repainted.
Yes, they are supplied to Tohutsu by Honda.

71957C7A-E228-4AC5-930B-892EDC759E21.jpg

I might be insane but thinking of picking up a 90s 18ft Bayliner, VIP Vision or similar. Prices isn't to bad here, $3k ish. Just want one to play around with. A lot of the interiors need work but nothing a towel can't fix. I'd say we'd use it plenty since RV gets used a lot but don't know.

Back