Just returned from a trip to Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove the Corolla on I-10 and I-75. On my way up I averaged 32-33 mpg doing about 77MPH the entire way and some 80-85 here and there to pass slow drivers. On my way back down, MPG went up considerably to 38-40 MPG...not sure if it was the QuikTrip gas I bought or because it was mostly downhill I-75. Still have 1/4 tank left!

ATL has horrible drivers, especially when it rains. Lights aren't on, still talking on their phones..etc..you name it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
...ATL has horrible drivers, ...

Funny, I think the same thing about Florida drivers... Although PA and NJ certainly have FL beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Funny, I think the same thing about Florida drivers... Although PA and NJ certainly have FL beat.

Notice I said ATL...not GA as a whole like you said FL

Notice I said ATL...not GA as a whole like you said FL

Point taken, Orlando (Miami too), Philadelphia and Parsippany, hows that?

285 around 4pm beats anything I've seen up here. 7mph on the beltway last time I was down home.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

285 around 4pm beats anything I've seen up here. 7mph on the beltway last time I was down home.

Most definitely. I like Atlanta...a lot of diversity up there. Better than the city I live in, minus the traffic.

Last edited:
So how are you measuring your mileage by the way?

Somehow I'm guessing your difference in numbers can be entirely attributed to technique.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

285 is awful most times of day. I just avoid it entirely and cut straight through since I only ever pass through ATL. 85 and 20 downtown are actually not bad if you know where you need to be going. If there's rain you're screwed no matter what road you take because somebody is going to wreck.

I think everyone there feels secure driving crazy because they know there are so many other people doing the same thing. You really have to be raising [censored] to get the attention of a cop.

I'd like to actually visit the city one day, but the many times I have been there my destination has been somewhere else, so I just try to get through it quickly.

Driving on 285 was fun! Did that a few years ago. I felt like I was a nascar driver (only making left turns).

My Focus will get close to 38/40 at 65, 75 it drops and 80 even worse. Economy cars get okay mileage, just not at high speed.

285 is the *real* Atlanta Motor Speedway. And GA 400 is nothing but a very long drag strip.

As was said, you have to do something really dumb to get the attention of the cops. Kind of strange now that GA has a "super speeder" law which really stings you if you're doing over 85.

And IMO, after driving literally all over the country, ATL drivers aren't too bad. I completely agree than NJ drivers are terrible, as are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back