Just replaced my cabin filters and regretting it

The pitiful amount of charcoal in those filters had zero effect on odors. Proper charcoal filtration of odors requires POUNDS of it and even then it can't capture every smell.

Exactly. If anything, it might keep the CAF itself from getting stanky.

The modern Saabs in the family (9-5's) had a large CAF and an equally sized cloth pillow beside it.
something like 9"h x 12"w x 3"deep.
The first CAF change required breaking a plastic frame to remove this thick pillow and filter element.
I'd bet money its function was to absorb odors while the car sat pre-sale.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
First time I ever heard someone refer to OEM Denso as taking the cheap way out.

Is there a chance that the $5 Denso may be fake?
First thing I thought about. Amazon seems to be full of counterfeit auto parts. Oil Filters, spark plugs, etc. Cabin filter would be very easy

How did people ever survive the first 100 years of driving before the cabin filter was invented?
My grandma talked about a time of growing up in the South without AC. She said that kids went outside and played because it was really hot inside the house, especially when her mom used the stove. I still have a hard time believing anyone actually was able to sleep in a house in August with no AC. Not sure how anyone survived the double whammy of no cabin filter AND no AC.

My grandma talked about a time of growing up in the South without AC. She said that kids went outside and played because it was really hot inside the house, especially when her mom used the stove. I still have a hard time believing anyone actually was able to sleep in a house in August with no AC. Not sure how anyone survived the double whammy of no cabin filter AND no AC.

Once you get tired enough, sleep comes anyway. You just get used to it. I didn't have A/C till my teens, but the house did have a big attic fan that sucked air in through every window. In one way this was better because my father was a heavy smoker, so once we got A/C I was getting a few cigs worth of 2nd hand smoke daily, until I got older and was away working or doing other things more due to driver's license + car + money.

Last edited:
Works well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_133534010.jpg
    IMG_20200905_133534010.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 81
The pitiful amount of charcoal in those filters had zero effect on odors. Proper charcoal filtration of odors requires POUNDS of it and even then it can't capture every smell.
Exactly my thoughts. OP would be better off running the AC on Circulation to keep out smells and then switching back to pulling from the outside when driving on a country road or a not as polluted area. Also can use a small portable ozone machine in your car.

I must be missing something I’ve never heard of a charcoal air filter lol. The only thing related to charcoal on a vehicle that I can think of is a charcoal canister lol.

I just bet us old boys from the south are not the least taken aback about farm smells,,,lmaorof..............mercy sakes, smokem if you gotem

Reactions: JC1
How did people ever survive the first 100 years of driving before the cabin filter was invented?
They didn't , they’re all dead. But, I’ll be willing to bet that a lack of cabin filters didn’t kill most of them. I’m going on 10 years without a cabin filter on my car. It’s called cracking the window.

Look, I don’t think cabin filters are a bad idea. If someone can design one that doesn’t require me wrapping my ankles around the head rest while I stick my head into the foot well to remove the glove compartment in order to get my hands on it I would love to have one. My 2012 Versa came from the factory with an empty cabin filter housing, no filter! I guess the poor sap at the end of the assembly line said “No way!”

If someone can design one that doesn’t require me wrapping my ankles around the head rest while I stick my head into the foot well to remove the glove compartment in order to get my hands on it I would love to have one.

If you think that's bad, try a 1999 Cadillac STS someday. The filter is in three parts that must slide together, interlock, then pushed upward one at a time until all three are in place. All while standing on your head under the drivers side footwell! I took mine out, then had to go to the dealer to get them put back in. Maybe a 12 year old kid could have done it easily, but I'm pretty sure the tech threw my filters in the garbage and told me they were in. I never checked again!
The 2018 Mercedes E Class is a piece of cake. It's under the hood. Remove 4 plastic clips, take off the cover, and there it is.
2008 DTS was easy too, also under the hood. A little tricky to bend it just right, but not bad.

Couple weeks ago, got into one of our vehicles, which had been sitting a week or two. Got a mile down the road and though, didn't know we had a farm around here...

Luckily all the mess was on top of the cabin filter, they hadn't chewed through. Carefully pulled it out, didn't have to vacuum much, all is better now.

Now if they could just make 'em easier to get to, I get it, it doesn't have to be "easy" but it's a bit annoying to wiggle one around corners and such, especially when it's, uh, "loaded up".

If you think that's bad, try a 1999 Cadillac STS someday. The filter is in three parts that must slide together, interlock, then pushed upward one at a time until all three are in place. All while standing on your head under the drivers side footwell! I took mine out, then had to go to the dealer to get them put back in. Maybe a 12 year old kid could have done it easily, but I'm pretty sure the tech threw my filters in the garbage and told me they were in. I never checked again!
The 2018 Mercedes E Class is a piece of cake. It's under the hood. Remove 4 plastic clips, take off the cover, and there it is.
2008 DTS was easy too, also under the hood. A little tricky to bend it just right, but not bad.
the 90s Camry has something like that, except it's 2 parts rather than 3. Each of the 2 parts has a hinge.
92-01 Camry/ES300 and Avalon

Interesting that if you use the expensive HEPA filter in your house (furnace filter), it is rated for smoke and odors. No charcoal. I find it does get rid of cooking odors for 6 months until I get a new one.

Major benefit of the charcoal filters is they are sturdier constructed. Regular filters can be flimsy and could deform to let contaminants pass. Seen it happen quite a bit.

To that end I have ordered 3 charcoal filters for my own car for future use, and the remaining 2 regulars have been strengthened by hot glue across the weakest parts, to keep them from contracting there.

Back