Just put KREEN in my 190k mile F150....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: Y_K
...Many a rookie cab drivers made this mistake and blew their stem seals...

I'm afraid that of all the years I've been servicing automobiles, this is the first time I heard something like this...

Q.

Because it's total B-S, the valve stem seals just deflect oil, a slight over fill has ZERO to do with failure...

I've checked hot and cold for my 45+ years of vehicle ownership, as long as the oil is given three or four minutes to drain back to the pan the level will be within a small fraction of cold reading... Remember oil does expand when hot, so theoretically it could read higher than when cold, though I've not seen a major difference in any engine I've ever checked...

Well I must say I was very hesitant to put such a powerful solvent in my crankcase.. I have however noticed the truck to be running a bit "smoother" if you will... I have about 400-500 miles with it in there and I think I'll go ahead and dump the MC 5w20 this weekend. I'm "itching" to fill her up with some fresh Pennzoil Platinum that I just scored for $17 a jug...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: ahoier
...after about 1000-1500 miles into the OCI, I stopped for gas, figured I'd check the oil level, sure enough, the level was about half way down the stick.

Never ever check your oil level at gas station stops. You check it in the mornings, when the oil is cold and most of it is down.
When your engine is hot a lot of the oil is still outside of the pan.
Many a rookie cab drivers made this mistake and blew their stem seals. You can overfill it to a point, but better not explore where the point is..

If you stop for gas, by the time the tank is full, 99% of the oil is back in the pan. It's hot oil and flows down hill easily ... Checking at filling stations has been going on for over 100 years, w/o "overfilling" ...

Kreen does its job very well. Highly recommended. Unfortunately, I can't be sold anymore in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (
frown.gif
), so I must fall back to BG109 which is milder, but will get the job done in two oil changes instead of one.

On all "new to me" high mileage vehicles, I run (now) BG109 full can per for at least 3 changes, then maybe MMO if I'm feeling like it for a couple more. That way I know there is no varnish left of critical surfaces (like lifter bores) and the rings are free. Then it's just good oil and carry on. I do suggest running oversized filters if you can fit one ... It adds total capacity and the extra media makes pumping and filtering easier on the pump
smile.gif

Last edited:
Cummins says to check my 6.7 engines after 10 minutes, and they are not exaggerating. Both of mine read 2 quarts low until they have been sitting for 10 minutes.

I also agree that Kreen is great for a cheap and neglected engine, but I never use in anything valuable or well taken care of.

I added a pint of Kreen to my 2012 Ram 5.7L w 155K on it. Helped quiet down the hemi tick that is quite common. I did also have to add some make up oil at around 600 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back