Just how critical is changing the fuel filter?

My Mazda RX-7 had a slow build up in the fuel filter. Granted I also used race gas in it and not sure if certain distributors are less cautious about dirt in the fuel. Although on a couple of days i saw fuel that indeed looked dirty. I had to replace my fuel filter and fuel pump.

OK, good stories and rationale - that's what I was looking for.

I will change it, as I said I think it's original so 16 years and 122k on it. I'll plan a 50k interval for vehicles wrt fuel filters.

I recently got a 2004 Volvo XC70. I'm going through it carefully replacing all worn mounts, bushings, changing fluids, fixing all issues I can find, mechanical or cosmetic.

To my eye, the fuel filter looks original. The car runs great, no reason to suspect a problem. It's not the cost or trouble, It's $15 and a simple job. But is it really necessary? I have changed filters on cars before - running fine after 10 years or more, then no change in performance/behavior and never changed them again. One Lexus we have doesn't even have a fuel filter at all, just a "rock catcher" strainer around the pump in the tank.

Don't get me wrong - I am very "pro" maintenance, and given the attention, time, and money I'm spending, it's nothing (I am installing an auxiliary transmission cooler and filter today, for example). But I like to think analytically and I just don't see how this part can fail/clog/etc. to the point changing it ever really matters.

The fuel situation in some parts of Europe has been sketchy at times in the past, I'm talking 20 years ago or more, so many European vehicles of that era and earlier shipped with owner replaceable fuel filter. Just replace it, it's been on there long enough.

+1 with the above. The Barchetta has a replaceable fuel filter, to be replaced every 30K Km per the manual...I can tell you after 30K it was fairly dirty! But I can't tell if it's because of the 25 years of crud accumulated in the tank, tank rusting, or dirty fuel from the pump :D
That is to say, it's also on its original fuel pump.

Just like you, i questioned the same thing on our three V70Rs. Until my son’s ‘05 started “surging” a bit while climbing a long hill. It had about 250K on it at that point, but we replaced the filter and problem went away. The job was easy, the parts were cheap, so we did the same on the other two Volvos (with over 200K on them). We know they are done and we’ll probably never have to do it again, or until the cars have about 400K miles. Just do it.

My car is exhibiting similar behavior, but it is not a Volvo. Maybe it is time to run the tank down, and change the fuel filter!

I will probably try cleaners first to see if that solves it as well.

My 2016 Honda CR-V has a lifetime fuel filter that is inside the gas tank. I hope it is large enough to really last a long time because I plan on driving it for a very long time.

One of the first things I did when I got a new beetle in mexico was to R&R the fuel filter because fuel in Mexico is very dirty. Just for fun I poured fuel in the reverse flow and was amazed on how much dirt and junk came out. If you have a replaceable fuel filter just follow the OEM replacement schedule. My New Beetle was an 08 and in 2016 when changed the filter it was the original. After switching it out the car ran much better and started up much faster

Here's the original fuel filter from my old '03 Santa Fe. Looked like it didn't have much life left.

My car is exhibiting similar behavior, but it is not a Volvo. Maybe it is time to run the tank down, and change the fuel filter!

I will probably try cleaners first to see if that solves it as well.

On that point, I have much love for this product, which I discovered via this forum several years back. It's awesome.

That said, I ran a bottle of it through this car in the first full tank, and it made little difference I could notice. In other vehicles, I generally run it every 5k, or if mpgs drop a bit. If so, it generally restores them right away. The PEA additive (same as in Techron, just a little cheaper/more concentrated here) is the real deal, not snake oil.

I got a new fuel filter today but didn't get it in. I flushed the PS system, replaced a motor mount, replaced some interior and exterior worn trim, etc. Tomorrow I plan to change the fuel filter and install the transmission cooler.

I just replaced my fuel filter when I did the injectors on my 2003 Tacoma. I figured at 222,000 miles it was time. Mine had black bits coming out of the intake side of the filter. I will probably plan to do it again at 350,000 miles. I used the OEM Toyota filter as the cost was reasonable and it came with a new bracket too. Extra heavy duty filter.

You said it is easy and cheap. That would only equal to "change it". Count your blessings. Most newer cars it is neither.

Your fuel filter can be mostly clogged and still maintain normal fuel pressure for daily commuting. However, the fuel pump is working overtime to maintain that pressure past that resistance, potentially wearing it out prematurely. This is why most replacement fuel pumps require a new filter as well for the warranty. A fuel filter is cheap and easy to replace. A fuel pump... not so much. There is no downside to replacing it.

After idling for about 45 minutes yesterday with the ac on at 93F, when I got on the freeway my 335 went into limp mode. Since I keep my scanner in the backseat, I found a low fuel pressure code. I've never changed my filter, and I suspect that it's plugged, the low pressure pump is weak - or both. For the last week I've had a long crank on hot starts.

At 222,000 I expect just about anything to happen.

A bunch of data is needed to answer the OP's query.
My 15 tear old Ranger had The filter media was brown rather than "filter yellow" but I don't know what it was new.
A thin looking black coating was on the media's "dirty side" and I don't know if that was a coating (water barrier?) from the Motorcraft factory or dirt.

In the dead of Winter and your vehicle won't start, it's good to be able to say, "I KNOW it's not my fuel filter".

Back