Just did first oil change with microgreen filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I wonder if particulates do in fact significantly deplete the additive package. They are solids, so, although the surfaces will probably be acidic, it seems possible that most of the acid groups are on the inside.

I'd also wonder whether a filter can in fact be said to "remove" particles. Strictly speaking, they are still in contact with the oil which flows past them. As they start to form a "filter cake" then the effective surface area will be much reduced, but the filter is becoming clogged by that point.

"does not adversely affect" could be lawyer-speak for "has no effect". Same, but different.

We did discuss this during one of the previous microGreen threads. "Particulates" in this context would be soot or carbon black, and I think that explains why bypass filtration appears much more beneficial to diesel engines than gasoline (although that may change as the sulfur level in diesel fuel is lowered). When carbon black is formed from the combustion of a hydrocarbon it contains active sulfur complexes adsorbed onto the surfaces of the aggregates. The amount of these complexes is related to the amount of sulfur in the hydrocarbon. In the presence of water and heat these complexes will form acids. So by sequestering the complexes and perhaps sequestering some of the water a filtration system could in fact protect the TBN of the oil.

As for your other point I would further guess that the limited filtration ability of the Teflon disk is what promotes the filter change while allowing an extended OCI. You also get an amount of makeup oil with each filter change which also helps TBN retention.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

We did discuss this during one of the previous microGreen threads. "Particulates" in this context would be soot or carbon black, and I think that explains why bypass filtration appears much more beneficial to diesel engines than gasoline (although that may change as the sulfur level in diesel fuel is lowered). When carbon black is formed from the combustion of a hydrocarbon it contains active sulfur complexes adsorbed onto the surfaces of the aggregates. The amount of these complexes is related to the amount of sulfur in the hydrocarbon. In the presence of water and heat these complexes will form acids. .

OK, if the sulfur groups are on the surface, then they are exposed to the oil and will likely reduce it's buffering capacity.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

So by sequestering the complexes and perhaps sequestering some of the water a filtration system could in fact protect the TBN of the oil.

Well, that was my other question. As I said, its not clear (to me) that a particle in/on a filter has in fact been "sequestered". Until the filter is clogged, it seems likely that its still largely exposed to the oil and any heat and water it may contain, perhaps even more so, since, at least when the engine is running, the oil flows past it, so there's no diffusion limitation.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Well, that was my other question. As I said, its not clear (to me) that a particle in/on a filter has in fact been "sequestered". Until the filter is clogged, it seems likely that its still largely exposed to the oil and any heat and water it may contain, perhaps even more so, since, at least when the engine is running, the oil flows past it, so there's no diffusion limitation.

I agree. The thing about that one user on here who supposedly "proved" microGreen's claim, there's no control with the same oil and a different filter. Who knows whether a different filter wouldn't have given the same results.

Maybe that Teflon disk rapidly clogs up with particulates and being only a bypass of sorts, limits the exposure to the oil stream.

Originally Posted By: FlyingTexan
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Any pics of it installed on your vehicle ?
I'm sorry I don't have any this time around. I had friends over and we were waiting on me to finish to hook up to the boat for a river trip.

Can you take a picture of it installed on the car now? Since the river cruise is over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back