Just courious

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you keep extra fluids in your rides? I carry 2 extra qrts of oil, 4 qrts of atf, gallon of anti-freeze and FP60.

I make do with a quart of Pennzoil in the car trunk. Likely I would do well to use up the old SL next oil change and stash an SM.

In town, I typically carry 1 qt of oil in each vehicle, and a gallon of antifreeze in the Toyota.

Weekend trips I carry 3 qts of oil (never had to use any though)and a gallon of antifreeze in which ever vehicle is selected for the cruise.

I keep a quart of oil in each vehicle. But I only remember adding oil in my driveway, so it's probably a waste of effort.

I don't carry extra fluids. Why?

Especially not oil but even heavy coolant. I guess it only means .0005 mpg (rounded up), but still.

quote:

2 extra qrts of oil, 4 qrts of atf, gallon of anti-freeze and FP60.

4 qts of ATF???

I can see the FP for fill ups, but I would just add mine at home before. How much FP do you lug around?

I carried a quart of oil for 20 years and used some maybe once. No more - waste of time and effort.

Quart of oil (needs another quart every tank and a half). Maybe windshield washer fluid if the roads are slushy for awhile.

Unless I know my car consumes fluids, I just don't see the point of carrying them around. Except for a code reader, my trunk is empty.

The only times I carry extra fluids are:

- Washer fluid during a salty bizzard melt

- 1qt of oil during new car/engine break-in...and only if I need to take a trip that requires more than one tank of fuel.

- A long time ago I used to take a trunk full of bottled ethanol to Bloomington during Little 500, too.
grin.gif

Thankfully none of our current vehicles leak or burn any fluids so we don't carry any. However, I did once drive a 1961 Chevy Impala that leaked so bad that I had to carry several 2 1/2 gallon cans of the finest SA 30 oil you could purchase in 1971
rolleyes.gif
. The engine finally seized on the way home from a most enjoyable night at the drive-in
grin.gif
. I had filled the oil up only 70 miles previously when I got gas
shocked.gif
. It had a very leaky side pan gasket that my father refused to let me fix
frown.gif
. Too bad because it really was a nice car.

Whimsey

a few quarts of oil in my Explorer cause it leaks a little.

Some antifreeze just in case.

and Washer fluid.

in my car, i just keep about half-a-quart of oil.

I've always carried a litre of oil (currently a quart...it's a redline bottle). I've rarely used it, and usually then on a relative's car.

One car I carried 6 litres. I needed to.

And washer fluid.

And whatever fuel additive is running.

I don't have any vehicles that consume any oil/transmission fluid so I don't see any reason to.

I used to know a guy who kept a couple cases of cheap dino in the back of his old Ford Ranger. He had a rear seal leak and would have to put in a quart or two a day depending on how much he drove (yes, that was a quart or two a day). It leaked like sieve.

My vehicles don't use any fluids (except wiper fluid), but I carry a little oil, 50/50 coolant mix, wiper fluid, FP60 and paper funnels, and ATF/gear oil all the time anyway.

I also carry a tire gauge, a fire extinguisher, flares, refletive triangles, a headlamp, a blanket, two space blankets, duct tape, an emergency whistle, a first aid kit, a belt repair kit, a hose repair kit, drinking water and an Uno deck.

In winter I also carry chains, a snow brush, an ice scraper, a collapsible snow shovel and a can of de-icer.

Yes, I was a Boy Scout.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back