Just changed the CVT fluid in my '15 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years and 20k miles later, I just did my first CVT drain and fill on my new-ish Honda in the hopes that doing so every 20k instead of 36k will make the transmission last a bit longer. The procedure was 'different' but easy, the hardest part being the need to have it on flat ground for it to drain completely and also for filling it accurately.

A few tips:

Since the car needs to be flat and most people don't have lifts in their driveways, I found it easier to loosen the drain plug first from underneath, then slide the drain pan under, then use a short 3/8" extension in the plug for something to hold onto and remove it through the engine bay. The extension assures that the plug won't go too far or go down the hole in your pan if you drop it with oily fingers!

Also, make sure you leave the rubber fill plug in the hole as it drains. Removing the plug is like shotgunning a beer; the fluid came out hard and fast horizontally and almost shot over the edge of the drain pan, so leaving it in slows things down. You can then pull it out a little to control how fast it comes out.

After that and a bit of cleanup, it was four quarts of HCF-2 in, start it up and run it through the gears, then remove the check plug to get the proper level. Probably 8 ounces or so came back out. The car feels and 'shifts' like it did before so at the very least, no harm was done!

Though I won't need to do it for some time yet, good information for the future. What you describe about leaving the fill hole plug in while it starts to drain, then removing later, is also applicable in d&fs of non CVT Honda trans as well.

Hope you don't mind if I link to the diagrams you posted in another thread that I found a useful reference too. Thanks again. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...CVT#Post4156769

I totally forgot I posted those a while ago. I don't mind at all since I think I 'borrowed' them myself from someone else on driveaccord.net .
smile.gif

I did a drain and fill of the CVT fluid in my girls 2014 Civic Coupe around 26k (back in March/April).

AMSOIL and Honda called for 3.8 qts of fluid. I drained it and put a full 4qts. Wasn't too worried about that little amount over. with what might stick to the sides of the bottles, probably would've been lucky to be 3.9 qts.

I understand this may be different than a conventional automatic, but does the transmission temperature matter? I assume it should be fully warmed up to drain, but presumably the fresh fluid will be cooler than that removed if it's just been idled through gear selection. As the instructions are mute on this subject maybe it doesn't matter, but this is BITOG...

Appreciate the feedback on this. My wife's 2015 Accord has 22,000 miles and I planned to do the CVT fluid probably next oil change. I just ordered the crush washers today. Did you use OEM fluid, Castrol or Valvoline?

Out of curiosity I called the dealership to see how much the CVT fluid change would cost and they quoted me $250. The parts department quoted me $19 per quart of the OEM fluid. I'm heavily leaning towards getting the $9.99 Valvoline HCF-2 fluid from AAP, obviously doing the fluid change myself.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I understand this may be different than a conventional automatic, but does the transmission temperature matter? I assume it should be fully warmed up to drain, but presumably the fresh fluid will be cooler than that removed if it's just been idled through gear selection. As the instructions are mute on this subject maybe it doesn't matter, but this is BITOG...

Sorry, no idea. I would assume the fluid level check procedure takes that into account, or maybe the transmission has a wide acceptable range for fluid level.

I dumped mine when it was warm, and after the re-fill, I let it idle for a minute or two both before and after running it through all the gears one by one.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978
Appreciate the feedback on this. My wife's 2015 Accord has 22,000 miles and I planned to do the CVT fluid probably next oil change. I just ordered the crush washers today. Did you use OEM fluid, Castrol or Valvoline?

Out of curiosity I called the dealership to see how much the CVT fluid change would cost and they quoted me $250. The parts department quoted me $19 per quart of the OEM fluid. I'm heavily leaning towards getting the $9.99 Valvoline HCF-2 fluid from AAP, obviously doing the fluid change myself.

I used genuine Honda HCF-2 fluid purchased at the dealer for like $17 a quart. Money well spent in my opinion. Amazon sells it cheaper but they didn't have it at the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFDFIO4/

Personally, I would not use a universal CVT fluid in a new-ish car that's still under warranty. I like Valvoline products just fine, but in this case, no way.

wormwood1978: Were they 14mm aluminum washers like every other Honda transmission drain plug gasket?

Many swear by Honda DW-1 for geared transmissions so I'd bet many would do the same for OE Honda CVT fluid.

I'd be so tempted to use the Amalie/Wolf's Head CVT fluid.

My pal has a 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander (at 61,000 miles) and he:
A) Wants to use the aforementioned Amalie/W.H. product
B) Doesn't want to risk his 100,000 mile warrantee on the transmission.

He has the option to replace the filter on his transmission. His objection is to the dealership's prices. Kira

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978

Since your saving the majority of the $250 by DIY I'd spring for the real deal and have no worries about operation, warranty, etc.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
...Personally, I would not use a universal CVT fluid in a new-ish car that's still under warranty. I like Valvoline products just fine, but in this case, no way.

Agreed. CVT, new-ish design and under warranty, HCF-2 all I would use. I might try and take the Amazon or other lowest online price and see if one of local dealers would price match. But, I'd stick to Honda HCF-2.

I've got ~130k anecdotal miles between two Honda ATs specing Z1, mostly on MaxLife, working just fine. However, first and foremost they're not CVT, and there's no warranty in the mix.

This may be a dumb question, but I have zero experience with CVT's. What did you use for refilling the transmission? A funnel or a pump?

Originally Posted By: kjbock
This may be a dumb question, but I have zero experience with CVT's. What did you use for refilling the transmission? A funnel or a pump?

Long funnel through to the fill hole, right in front, accessible through the engine bay.

0DPAd39.jpg

I believe the crush washer is 18mm, Pn: 90471-PX4-000

Originally Posted By: Kira
wormwood1978: Were they 14mm aluminum washers like every other Honda transmission drain plug gasket?

Many swear by Honda DW-1 for geared transmissions so I'd bet many would do the same for OE Honda CVT fluid.

I'd be so tempted to use the Amalie/Wolf's Head CVT fluid.

My pal has a 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander (at 61,000 miles) and he:
A) Wants to use the aforementioned Amalie/W.H. product
B) Doesn't want to risk his 100,000 mile warrantee on the transmission.

He has the option to replace the filter on his transmission. His objection is to the dealership's prices. Kira

Most likely I will use the Valvoline fluid in my CVT fluid change coming up. This is the response I got from valvoline on their fluid:

Valvoline does offer a replacement fluid for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Honda to meet the specification HCF-2. This product is known as our Valvoline CVT Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid and the part number will be 804751 for quart containers. This product is readily available through most major retail auto parts stores. It is perfectly safe in your application and is used in Valvoline Instant Oil Change Stores and Honda dealers across the country everyday. It will not void any warranty.

We have the '14 Accord with CVT and H and A Honda has cases of 12 qt HCF-2 CVT fluid for about $116 - $118 delivered. Shipping does raise the total per qt cost but you get 3 drain and fills from a case and you have an invoice for your maintenance records for warranty purposes. Look HERE

Castrol has the best price for CVT fluid. It's on Amazon for $35 for a case of six.

Nothing wrong with Wolf's Head or Valvoline either, but they do cost more.

Ebay has 4/qts HCF-2 in the $40-ish range including shipping, some that even include the trans crush washer. Considering the frequency of service interval and amount required, seems like a good option for Honda OEM fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back