Just bought my first gun. How did I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good information to know. Thank you!

All I need to do is actually find some 22 rounds now. Everywhere around here is sold out!

Mine eats anything I feed it, which means its usually gets federal bulk in the 525 round boxes.

Print off some of these targets. Try to shoot naturally and consistently. If you're consistently missing in the same direction, these targets tell you what your're doing wrong.
right handed
left handed

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Print off some of these targets. Try to shoot naturally and consistently. If you're consistently missing in the same direction, these targets tell you what your're doing wrong.

What is an appropriate distance to shoot those targets at? I figure too close won't show things clearly, and too far will make them appear worse.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
What is an appropriate distance to shoot those targets at? I figure too close won't show things clearly, and too far will make them appear worse.

I hadn't really thought about it that hard. I use them close enough I can get a semi consistent group, but far enough away that I don't have a tiny group in the center. I think I usually use them about 5-10 yards.

I finally got some ammo. Now all I need to do is get to the range....

Yesterday I was also able to pick up a Ruger SR9C 9MM in the 17+1 stainless steel trim. The local gun shop had a shipment come in and that was one of the items left. Anyone have experience with the SR9C? I will be using this for concealed carry.

I've got the SR9C. I like it so far. I've only carried it a few times. I've put about 500 rounds through it.

Went to the range this weekend and ended up with 4 fail-to-fire out of 50 rounds. I'm thinking it was the ammo. Winchester bulk ammo in white box that I bought online. I supposed it is good practice for clearing out FTF, but the the unspent rounds still make me nervous.

I use this gun for home defense too. I've got Hornady Critical Defense in the magazine. To make sure it likes this ammo, I've run about 50 rounds through it without any hiccups.

Anyway, not much help, but thought I'd chime in.

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
I finally got some ammo. Now all I need to do is get to the range....

Yesterday I was also able to pick up a Ruger SR9C 9MM in the 17+1 stainless steel trim. The local gun shop had a shipment come in and that was one of the items left. Anyone have experience with the SR9C? I will be using this for concealed carry.

I've been reading reviews of the gun this evening and it seems you've experienced one of the common issues with the gun. People have complained that the Winchester white box stuff can cause light fires and jams. I've found several other complaints about no trigger reset and barrel peening. Most seem to get resolved by a trip back to Ruger for a repair. Otherwise, it seems the SR9C is a reliable, accurate, compact handgun.

Thanks for the post. I'm not sure at this point if it is the gun or the ammo. I'm tending to lean towards getting bad ammo because the primer on the FTF rounds has a considerable dent. Unfortunately, I bought 1000 rounds of this bulk Winchester ammo, so I have to run it through.

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
I've been reading reviews of the gun this evening and it seems you've experienced one of the common issues with the gun. People have complained that the Winchester white box stuff can cause light fires and jams. I've found several other complaints about no trigger reset and barrel peening. Most seem to get resolved by a trip back to Ruger for a repair. Otherwise, it seems the SR9C is a reliable, accurate, compact handgun.

Some ammo makers use primers that are a bit harder or more stubborn. Not familiar with the Ruger's trigger system but it is common on striker fired pistols as the racking of the slide usually cocks the striker 80 percent(like on a glock)and the trigger pull completes and releases it. A heavy striker spring means heavier trigger pull. When you put a lighter spring in a Glock you can get light strikes on stubborn primers so they usually put lightened strikers in (less mass means more velocity). Could be Ruger tried to find that medium between proper spring rate and trigger pull weight and came up a bit on the light side. Not uncommon...especially with Euro made ammo that typically has the harder primers. My M1 carbine for instance needed an extra power hammer spring to reliably ignite my Ruskie ammo. Would work fine with any US ammo, but not the ruskie stuff.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Originally Posted By: barlowc

I hadn't really thought about it that hard. I use them close enough I can get a semi consistent group, but far enough away that I don't have a tiny group in the center. I think I usually use them about 5-10 yards.
I bench my handguns at 25 yards to check for accuracy. Start at 15 yards when checking zero.

As in, resting on a bench? I don't do that with handguns.

what about standing without a rest?

I tried once with a handgun on a rest. Didn't like it. I figure, when I'm shooting a handgun I'm either doing it for fun (it's more challenging than a rifle) or for self-defense practice. Neither case needs a rest, and both I do standing.

It'd be interesting to know that a gun does x inches at 10 yards, to know that anything over x inches is my fault; but w/o a vise to hold the gun I figure I'm getting just as much error in a rest.

My opinion only.

When starting out, either with a new gun, or as a new shooter, go for 3 yards first. Get on paper, then group decently. Then add distance. Easier that way. A new shooter will be encouraged by hitting paper properly. A new gun could be way off, and it'd be just wasting rounds until you figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back