Just bought 8k mile 2017 Ford Fusion... what's the factory fill oil?

I just bought a 2017 Ford Fusion with 2.5L N/A motor. The oil life indicator says 13% left and I'm pretty certain the oil has never been changed. I'm going to do an oil analysis. Any idea what the factory fill oil is? Ford Synthetic Blend 5w20?

5.7 qts of 5w20. you can use motorcraft or whatever full syn you prefer. Probably do some shorter intervals to clean it up if its been neglected. Supertech would work and save a few bucks on the short intervals.

but to answer your question its probably MC 5w20.

If the oil has been changed with the OLM, it should've been changed a few times now, when very few miles are put on the car these OLMs should go off at a year regardless of mileage.
I'd suspect the factory fill was Motorcraft syn blend 5W20, I'd just use whatever's cheapest, these motors are not particular about oil or hard on oil.

probably the ford 5w-20 but its an na and also non gdi engine if im not mistaken and syn blends these days are pretty good.

Id just use supertech 5w-30. if you were concerned about cleanliness you can throw in pennzoil platinum instead and its out of warranty or will be if it hasn't so go a grade up anyway.

You mean due to fuel dilution? After some driving?
These aren't DI and aren't known for fuel dillution, I'm not sure what they're talking about, I changed my dad's 15 Escape 2.5's oil and used an oversized XG3600 filter recently and it took pretty much all 6 quarts to fill it, maybe they're misreading the dipstick, it's got two holes to represent the minimum and full line but then uses a crosshatch to show when it needs topped up, I believe the top of the crosshatch is supposed to me 1/2qt low.

These aren't DI and aren't known for fuel dillution, I'm not sure what they're talking about, I changed my dad's 15 Escape 2.5's oil and used an oversized XG3600 filter recently and it took pretty much all 6 quarts to fill it, maybe they're misreading the dipstick, it's got two holes to represent the minimum and full line but then uses a crosshatch to show when it needs topped up, I believe the top of the crosshatch is supposed to me 1/2qt low.
I usually run the 3600 size filter in my 2016 Escape 2.5 because it doesn't extend below the engine (it's protected by the engine unlike my Focus 2.0 which extends below and could get damaged by road debris). It takes the full 6 quarts to reach the top hole (FULL) on the dipstick. If I put only 5 quarts in it would be at the lower hole (ADD).

If I were going to run a 5w30 it would be a thinner one like Pennzoil Platinum...some of today's 5w30's are over 11 Cst @ 100*C...the PP is about 9.8 Cst...close enough to the recommended 5w20.

I usually run the 3600 size filter in my 2016 Escape 2.5 because it doesn't extend below the engine (it's protected by the engine unlike my Focus 2.0 which extends below and could get damaged by road debris). It takes the full 6 quarts to reach the top hole (FULL) on the dipstick. If I put only 5 quarts in it would be at the lower hole (ADD).
I'm thinking that the person above is using the standard size filter, and adding 5 quarts which is just under 3/4qt low which would put it right in between the crosshatch, which if you're reading the dipstick incorrectly and think the top of the crosshatch is full probably seems good.

Thanks all, I assuming it's never been changed and wondering what's thought to be in it now, if it hasn't been changed. I haven't checked the filter but have seen reference to the white "FoMoCo" filter as being on cars from the factory. I do over 20k miles per year and plan to run this motor for several hundred thousand miles. We use the same motor in our 2.5 swap NC Miata on the track. :cool:

When I use a standard filter with 5.5 quarts it reads over the top hole on the dipstick. When using 5 quarts it reads right at the top of the crosshatch. I was always under the assumption that going over the top hole was overfilled.

When I use a standard filter with 5.5 quarts it reads over the top hole on the dipstick. When using 5 quarts it reads right at the top of the crosshatch. I was always under the assumption that going over the top hole was overfilled.
It would be, but these cars should definitely take more than 5.5qts before being overfilled, was this car serviced at a Ford dealership at one time and maybe they pulled the dipstick and set it on the workbench for some reason and they stuck the wrong dipstick back in it? Because if it's getting overfilled at 5.5qts something's not right these hold 5.7qts and closer to 6qt if you stick the oversized fl400 or equivalent on it.

Thanks all, I assuming it's never been changed and wondering what's thought to be in it now, if it hasn't been changed. I haven't checked the filter but have seen reference to the white "FoMoCo" filter as being on cars from the factory. I do over 20k miles per year and plan to run this motor for several hundred thousand miles. We use the same motor in our 2.5 swap NC Miata on the track. :cool:
Out of curiosity, what oil do you run in your yacht *ahem* I mean NC?

Kidding, though. That sounds like a sweet ride.

Had the same engine in my Fusion. Great engine and never had a problem. I usually ran Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic. Sometimes I would run 5w-30 PP but truthfully never noticed a difference in how it ran. It had about 120,000 miles when I traded it in and it was still going strong.

My lady friend has a Fusion with that engine. It has 135K on the clock. Run good and is reliable.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I expect this motor to run for a long time. I just ordered High Performance Lubricants 10w20 for it and I'll share oil analysis along the way.

Back