Just a question about filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you use an after market filter and not the OEM filter? What experience/data shows you that the OEM filter is not the best to use? One bad experience with a Fram has me using OEM for over 30 years. TIA

Originally Posted By: vweosdriver
What experience/data shows you that the OEM filter is not the best to use?

I have no such experience/data, hence I use OEM filters. I haven't heard anything bad about Mann/Mahle.

Most OEM filters are probably pretty good ... but, it seems as time goes on some of the OEM filters are becoming cheaper in construction and the cost is usually just as much or more than a really good aftermarket filter.

When independent testers include OEM filters, I really don't recall any of them being noticeably better than your average aftermarket filter.

Toyota, Ford, and AC Delco (GM) used to have really good filters. now it seems that only the Motorcraft (Ford) is a good filter. the others have cheapened, so I prefer to use a better filter to protect my engines.

Information, or lack of it. You will not find any ratings for OEMs. I use often OEMs but it bugs me I can't data on them.

aftermarket has a better price, better filter media, and more filter media. and OEM is a fram variant.
wink.gif

I always use Nissan oil filters. They`re huge and heavy!!!!!!! Plus they only cost $6.

What`s the consensus on the best aftermarket filters? When I was at a nascar race,we had pit passes and the pits were full of Wix oil filters. I`m guessing Wix is among the best?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always use Nissan oil filters. They`re huge and heavy!!!!!!! Plus they only cost $6.

What`s the consensus on the best aftermarket filters? When I was at a nascar race,we had pit passes and the pits were full of Wix oil filters. I`m guessing Wix is among the best?

Interesting comment on the Nissan filter you continue to use, as the originally specced filter for the 90-96 300zx and 90-96 Q45 was the Nissan 15208-60u00 which was a special heavy duty filter developed especially for these models, and dropped from production just as the last 1996 models of the Z and Q engine warranties were expiring{by 2003 they no longer made this filter and claimed it was ok to substitute a cheaaper/smaller filter from their lineup} In my experience, both the Mobil 1 and EAO are both superior to the current Nissan filter available for these 2 applications.

Originally Posted By: vweosdriver
Why do you use an after market filter and not the OEM filter? What experience/data shows you that the OEM filter is not the best to use? One bad experience with a Fram has me using OEM for over 30 years. TIA

Probably because the OEM filters were made by the aftermarket companies. I do use some Motorcraft filters, made by Purolator, but they are not actually OEM, as the OEM filters were made by Champ. Sometimes there is a fine line between OEM and aftermarket.

The differentiation is between OEM assembly line filters and OEM aftermarket filters is that assembly line filters are bean counter filters. OEM aftermarket filters, while surely having bean counters somewhere in the process, have a profit pool that the assembly line filter manufacturer does not.

So, Champ makes Ford's OEM bean counter filter. Purolator makes Ford's aftermarket OEM filter.

My many years of experience as a DIY mechanic/hot rodder and actually working in both the aftermarket parts and dealer parts fields has taught me a very important lesson. As a rule( not always but most times )OEM parts are built to a "good enough" quality level. Nothing special about most OEM parts. Also, as many folks have mentioned many times the OEM part is nothing more than a reboxed aftermarket part or a part built by one of the well know aftermarket companies.

OEM parts however carry a premium price tag that far and away exceeds the quality you receive. You can get an equal to in quality aftermarket part, and generally a better quality part, from an aftermarket company for the same and usually less money.

Oil filters are no exception. OEM filters are middle of the road quality. They are not bad filters by any stretch and will handle any reasonable OCI. However, they are far from being the best out there available to choose from. If you can get an OEM filter for $5+/-( average spin on style - not cartridge or other special filters )then the price is reasonable and it is a good choice. If that OEM filter is going to set you back $6, $7, or $8+ then you have countless aftermarket filters that are as good or better available to you in that $5 and under range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Also, as many folks have mentioned many times the OEM part is nothing more than a reboxed aftermarket part or a part built by one of the well know aftermarket companies.

That should have said USUALLY they are repacked/mfg'd by an aftermarket company.

I use Fleetguard (Cummins), Baldwin, Racor, CAT, Amsoil, AC Delco, NAPA Gold, Wix, most of which are synthetic or synthetic blend elements. My applications are light trucks, oil and diesel fuel filters. I do not use Fram cardboard or private branded filters that do not have published specifications. Any of the top line filters are more than adequate. Filters are just not a major cost item, but injectors and bearings are, so a quality filter is not a waste of money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
My many years of experience as a DIY mechanic/hot rodder and actually working in both the aftermarket parts and dealer parts fields has taught me a very important lesson. As a rule( not always but most times )OEM parts are built to a "good enough" quality level. Nothing special about most OEM parts. Also, as many folks have mentioned many times the OEM part is nothing more than a reboxed aftermarket part or a part built by one of the well know aftermarket companies.

OEM parts however carry a premium price tag that far and away exceeds the quality you receive. You can get an equal to in quality aftermarket part, and generally a better quality part, from an aftermarket company for the same and usually less money.

Oil filters are no exception. OEM filters are middle of the road quality. They are not bad filters by any stretch and will handle any reasonable OCI. However, they are far from being the best out there available to choose from. If you can get an OEM filter for $5+/-( average spin on style - not cartridge or other special filters )then the price is reasonable and it is a good choice. If that OEM filter is going to set you back $6, $7, or $8+ then you have countless aftermarket filters that are as good or better available to you in that $5 and under range.

I couldn't agree more. I've cut open lots of filters, both new and used. You can do way better or way worse than OEM. It will take you the miles recommended between changes for the distance of the guarantee. If that is all you want, stay with the OEM. If you want longer intervals or to keep your car longer than the original guarantee, look for something better. If you want to save a buck on each oil change, don't expect the maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back