Junkyard wheels cleaned up OK

The ones I griped about being charged $5 to take the junk tires off. Only bought 3 because of that and also because my 4th one on the car was still acceptable. Looks OK for 27 year old aluminum wheels.

IMG_9102.JPG

The other 3 on the car look all about like this,

Oldsmobile 1995 88 wheel 1.JPG

Are they worth any more than the $15 core charge I would get back at the junkyard?

No, not worth much in that state. You could strip the clearcoat, sand and polish and clearcoat and... put more work into them than they're then worth, if just selling them. However if this were for a vehicle I was keeping, I'd think about having a 5th as the spare tire IF it'll fit in the trunk recess, and might do a bit of cleanup/restoration on that one.

The wheels on my Honda are starting to look like the wheel in the second photo. I assume the clear-coat is peeling but I wonder what is underneath. The crinkled stuff extends right out to the tire.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make them look better.

How to get the clear-coat off? Paint stripper? hot air gun? bead blasting (though no easy access)?

What is likely underneath? And how to polish it up? polishing compound applied with Lake Country pads and a Porter Cable random orbital sander/polisher? compressed air driven 3M polishing pads?

If/When you get them looking good would you clear coat them again? Rattle can?

Depending on scrap in your area you might get more at the salvage yard. I scrapped some old Mustang wheels and feel like I got more than $5 a piece, granted this was 5+ years ago.

Hard to see but they look pretty good. Do you know a source for some nice w126 wheels at that price? I look on eBay and people want $90+

Back